Ogre Race

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

a shrouded figure

Ogre Race

Post by a shrouded figure » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:34 am

I know this has been said before- but yikes.

I really enjoy theorycrafting characters towards the dream of one day getting a major award (I suppose I’d have to roll characters for that, however!). I have to say, there’s really nothing going for Ogres. They’re strong? Well, if you’ve a major- Half Orcs are just as strong. They’re huge! … I mean no bigger than a Minotaur or firbolg… who again are vastly superior (strictly mechanically speaking).

Without this becoming a suggestion- it does feel that ogres are due for a buff if we plan to keep them a major award. I personally am a fan of them being a major- I don’t know that we should have a million ogres walking about, but as it stands, I feel personally that the appeal of getting to roleplay an ogre doesn’t outweigh the suffering of playing a -2 stat class (by comparison, humans are a +4 stat class for no reward at all).

Just my little feedback.

garrbear758

Re: Ogre Race

Post by garrbear758 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:56 pm

Being a major award does not mean a character should be any stronger. The issue is more with minotaur than with ogre, although ogre is exceptionally bad and could probably afford some slight tweaks.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:19 pm

I agree majors should not be stronger.

That said, minotaur and vampires are both exceptionally strong, and then there's the likes of ogres that are terrible (the -4 int is really hard to work with - almost all builds require 13 for expertise or imp knockdown). It's an odd balance.

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:27 pm

I actually think ogres shouldn't be majors and be greaters at most considering how prevalent they are on arelith island. Deep imaskari are greaters (as are genasi) and are MUCH less common. An ogre would be no more out of place than a goblin and those dont require awards.
Intelligence is too important

VibeKings

Post by VibeKings » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:05 pm

I agree with Zavandar's post. Ogres should be greater awards and Deep Imaskari should be majors. Ogres should probably see a slight buff as well; I don't think it has to be any more complex than lowering their INT penalty to -2. Maybe you can give them KD for free or something if you think they still need it.

a shrouded figure

Post by a shrouded figure » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:34 pm

I apologize I didn’t mean to sound like I expected major awards to offer mechanical strength- I more meant that the general mechanical PENALTY of Ogres is a bit too hefty. I agree that Ogres should be dumb and strong… but on arelith where being a member of MENSA is a requirement for getting off the boat apparently, it would seem that ogres could use something else to justify their survival on the island.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:17 am

There's a real lack of normal reward stuff. I like that genasi are there at the moment, but think it would be cool if they were rotated out and a new thing rotated in every so often. Maybe put genasi back into greater/major for a while and pop ogres down into normal, and then we could just keep doing that with whatever. Would help keep things fresh.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:48 am

I would be down for lowering Ogre reward tier. They fulfill the strong and dumb role perfectly and I have seen too many times players shoehorning other races to fill that role instead. There are of course exceptions, but i don't understand how how a hobgoblin weaponmaster talking more stupid than typical halforcs makes any more sense than just letting them play an ogre.

I don't think it is bad to have a bunch of ogres over other monster races if we lowered the reward tier.

Za-Lord~s Guard

Post by Za-Lord~s Guard » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:30 am

I've never had an interest in playing an ogre, so my opinion may not matter much here - but I always found it odd that they were such a high reward tier.

As others have pointed out, they are super common spawns across the island. More so even than kobolds, which are a race you can play without any sort of reward. While it's been pointed out that rewards shouldn't dictate mechanical strength, if that were the case they aren't really strong enough to warrant restricting for that reason either (or they don't seem to be with their int penalty).
"I don't believe in fairies!" - Harry Dresden, the Dresden Files