The 4th server should be...

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Babylon System is the Vampire

The 4th server should be...

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:36 pm

The sea content, and Guld should be moved to the surface. My two reasons are:

1) you have a gold mine of fun with the new sailing content, and it would be silly to not keep expanding on that with new boats and new locations. That only means that weekends will get worse on the surface then they already are, since sailing is best when organized which means big crowds.

2) I think a big problem with Guldorand is that you log in, see 5 or less people on, and immediately head for the surface. Another issue is the perception of more player agency in Cordor, even if they are theoretically the same thing, but I do think the number thing plays the biggest role. You stroll into Cordor and see no one around, but the numbers say 50 people are on, you are more likely to stay and wait for people to turn up even if its 48 people planes hopping, because you don't know that. Guld its just apparent that no one is around (the main elven interior being on the surface plays a big part in this too) right from the get go, which makes you leave...which in turn makes the next guy pop in and leave real fast, and so on down the line.

Party in the forest at midnight

Re: The 4th server should be...

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:18 pm

I'd rather see more areas merged into Guldorand. Surface is too big, and if someone's holding an event in one place it impacts everywhere else. It would be good to add Westcliff to the Guldorand server, along with the areas around Westcliff. Maybe even add Minmir. Like this:

It might be interesting to bring the Cordor server up to Gloom, and Guldorand down to Darrowdeep, so each server will have a castle on it. The problem with that is the respective cities might start behaving as those are "their" castles.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:52 am

It is the plan to move more Skull Crag and Minmir areas onto the Guldorand server, but it's not entirely straightforward.

We'll get there though.

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:32 am

Irongron wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:52 am
It is the plan to move more Skull Crag and Minmir areas onto the Guldorand server, but it's not entirely straightforward.

We'll get there though.
i am glad to hear this. i think moving myon city onto guld server would help, too, especially with how laggy surface gets. feels like it'd be pretty seamless to use the forest mythal as the guld/surface transition.
Intelligence is too important

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:18 am

We have a great number of areas to move - some back to CP, some off surface and onto Guld.

It really comes down to comprising a list of these areas, getting their resrefs, repainting server transitions for the new areas, updating the database before we send them in and then making sure everything looks good.

We prepared Guldorand relatively quickly because it happened to line up in my vacation and other people’s free time that do it. But, right now it’s just busy work schedules holding us back.

I plan on doing a large part of data collection for the areas I need in the next week or so.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Ninjimmy

Post by Ninjimmy » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:07 am

Isn't the sea stuff on Distant Shores or did I fever dream that?
Playing:
Olwin (AKA Olicoros Vrozt Akael Shilligg Jugem Dojj Winzalfur AKA That £$%^ing Wizard)

DangerDolphin

Post by DangerDolphin » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:43 am

Ninjimmy wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:07 am
Isn't the sea stuff on Distant Shores or did I fever dream that?
No all ship-based things need to be on Surface, that's why Sibayad, Cordor, Guldorand and Skal all have their ports on this server.

Ninjimmy

Post by Ninjimmy » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:46 am

Cool, fever dream it was then!
Playing:
Olwin (AKA Olicoros Vrozt Akael Shilligg Jugem Dojj Winzalfur AKA That £$%^ing Wizard)

Ordo.Lupus

Post by Ordo.Lupus » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:47 am

Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:18 pm
I'd rather see more areas merged into Guldorand. Surface is too big, and if someone's holding an event in one place it impacts everywhere else. It would be good to add Westcliff to the Guldorand server, along with the areas around Westcliff. Maybe even add Minmir. Like this:

It might be interesting to bring the Cordor server up to Gloom, and Guldorand down to Darrowdeep, so each server will have a castle on it. The problem with that is the respective cities might start behaving as those are "their" castles.
I like the idea of having all of Guldorand + Skull Crags on same server. Though I would like to add proposal to where the server transitions should be between:
Skull Crags - Lower mountains (Surface) and Skull Crags - The Howling Pass - South (Guld)

This would allow the all of Stone gauntlet cave to be on 1 server. Splitting it any further south would make some inconvenient transitions between Bendir, Foothills and possibly Eastern Coastline.

As for including Minmir onto Guld server I am not entirely sure I like that idea since there is no really good place to cut it. Arelith forest connects to Minmir at Misty cavern at the Western Slopes, at Minmir Bridge and at Nexus Falls. And Nexus Falls is one of only two ways to travel to Brogendenstein by foot (the other being Crystal caves).
"To every man is given the key to the gates of heaven. The same key opens the gates of hell" - Richard P. Feynman

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:07 am

@Spyre and Irongron, thanks for replying. You guys know what the best fits will be far better than I do, so I'm sure your plan is better than mine.

I just mentioned the sail system because the hype is real, and I suspect within a few weeks there's really not going to be enough boats to satisfy everyone. There are a few non rental boats that are underused right now, but all save one are attached to a settlement and I suspect those will fill rapidly as the hype grows. And when that happens, the pirates are going to start wanting ownable boats in their port because the rentals will start getting sunk more, making them impossible to maintain, which is important because pirates are the key to keeping the sailing system fun. With more boats at sea you now need more content or you will have crowded dungeons out at sea all the time.

Anyways, I'm sure you guys know all of that already, so sorry for being Captain Obvious. But I felt it was too important to be left unsaid :)

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:55 pm

Irongron wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:52 am

We'll get there though.
Super awesome to hear!!! Thank you!

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:37 pm

I'm just here to comment on how beautiful this map is.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:18 pm

Babylon System is the Vampire wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:07 am
@Spyre and Irongron, thanks for replying. You guys know what the best fits will be far better than I do, so I'm sure your plan is better than mine.

I just mentioned the sail system because the hype is real, and I suspect within a few weeks there's really not going to be enough boats to satisfy everyone. There are a few non rental boats that are underused right now, but all save one are attached to a settlement and I suspect those will fill rapidly as the hype grows. And when that happens, the pirates are going to start wanting ownable boats in their port because the rentals will start getting sunk more, making them impossible to maintain, which is important because pirates are the key to keeping the sailing system fun. With more boats at sea you now need more content or you will have crowded dungeons out at sea all the time.

Anyways, I'm sure you guys know all of that already, so sorry for being Captain Obvious. But I felt it was too important to be left unsaid :)
Sencliff will get a permanent, non-rental, ship soon enough. Along with their rentals it should be a power to be reckoned with.

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:42 pm

ActionReplay wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:18 pm
Babylon System is the Vampire wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:07 am

Sencliff will get a permanent, non-rental, ship soon enough. Along with their rentals it should be a power to be reckoned with.
And this is why I say Umberlee ain't got nothing on Action Replay!

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:53 pm

I like how you used the symbols from Great Wheel Cosmology for the planes.