Description command convoluted, Disguises cumbersome

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Description command convoluted, Disguises cumbersome

Post by Twily » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:37 pm

To put on my disguise:
-loadoutfit
-hood
-disguise (name)
-disguise_r (race)
-description +rec (name)

To take my disguise off:
-loadoutfit
-hood
-disguise
-disguise_r
-description +rec (name)
-backpack
-backpack (Not sure why I need to do it twice to make the backpack appear, but I do)

Hood and backpack states saving to save/load outfit could be pretty helpful to everyone, they don't seem to do so currently.

I also think a number of re-phrasings would help make the description commands easier to understand:
For Save description it currently says:
"Saves/deletes/recovers the description specified in TEXT". What it actually means is: "Saves your current description as NAME. Deletes/Recovers the saved description that is named."
I also think 'rec' for 'recover' description is kind of misleading. It'd seem like load would make more sense, like save/load outfit is.
I'd also suggest swapping TEXT to NAME, as to me TEXT had implied I should be putting the content of a description there rather than specifying a name to save my current one as.

For save_cover's description:
I feel like it'd be a bit clearer if the first sentence said "Saves your current description as (NAME)-cover."
The current phrasing again made me think I was supposed to be putting the content of a description there, or a +pin.

My suggestion as a new addition to make the system less cumbersome to use: Granted, I suspect it'd be a lot of work to create.

-saveset ("set name") ["saved outfit name"] ["saved description name"] ["disguise name"] [race disguise]
Requires 2 or more parameters to be specified in addition to the set name. Quotations are required where shown.

OR: Opens a dialogue that shows something along the lines of:
"Create a set for your character. Create your saved outfits and descriptions before creating a set.
At least two optional parameters are required. Entered disguises will be applied automatically. If the disguise fields are left blank, any active disguises are removed."
1. Set Name (required)
2. Saved Outfit Name (optional)
3. Saved Description Name (optional)
4. Disguise Name (optional)
5. Disguise Race (optional)
6. Reset
7. Done
Players would then say the name, and click the option to set each line. Clicking done would save the set if filled out correctly.

-loadset (set name) to apply all specified parameters in that set automatically. If a disguise name is specified it will activate -disguise for you, if not specified it will turn any active disguises off.

-Players who don't use disguise could easily swap their outfit and description at the same time.
-Players who do use disguise could swap outfit, description, disguise name and disguise race all in one command, as well as undisguise by having a set as just an outfit and description.

The days of forgetting to turn on or off a description or disguised race when putting on or taking off a disguise would be gone, and it'd all be in a single command.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Description command convoluted, Disguises cumbersome

Post by MissEvelyn » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:26 pm

If you save a description under the same name as your disguise, it'll automatically apply the description. And it'll switch back as well if you save a description under your character name ☺️

The outfit has to be done manually, though, as far as I'm aware.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:20 am

Thanks! It seems you're right about that.

However this is also not stated in the -description ? help list.

I think it emphasizes the need for some changes in the -description ? list.

I also don't see a way to delete saved cover descriptions?

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:09 am

MissEvelyn wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:26 pm
If you save a description under the same name as your disguise, it'll automatically apply the description. And it'll switch back as well if you save a description under your character name ☺️

The outfit has to be done manually, though, as far as I'm aware.
I thank you for this information. The changes to disguise tags and addition of the Cover system all happend rapidly along with expansions to descriptions, etc. I got lost and this info alone really helps a ton.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:33 am

There is a command. -listdesc that shows all descriptions. For Cover descriptions that are saved as Skarain_cover , you just type -description -r Skarain_cover (to remove it).

(The actual letter for deleting, whether it is an -r for remove or -d for delete i do not remember)

Like MissEvelyn said, if you save a description with same name as an outfit, it autoloads that descruption.

Same as it autoloads a cover text that has been saved ... think it was -description save_cover DisguiseName .

I do however agree that the instructions are a bit all over the place. Under Description, under Disguise and probably under Cover too in wikia and ingame.