"Take Object" on Fixtures

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Duchess Says

"Take Object" on Fixtures

Post by Duchess Says » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:39 pm

I find that in times of extreme lag like Surface server on weekend afternoons it is very easy to accidentally click "take object" when trying to load messages on a message board fixture. Leading to twenty minutes, in laggy times, of trying to straighten it again often with dirty looks from anyone around who thinks you took it intentionally... or that you are just an idiot, which I don't deny I might be.

Since a pickup command exists and would never be accidentally used what if take object was removed as an option on message boards? I would have to think there are more misclicks of that option than intentional uses. Though even an "are you sure" added to the menu to prevent unintended pickups would be helpful.

Party in the forest at midnight

Re: "Take Object" on Fixtures

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:09 pm

Duchess Says wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:39 pm
I find that in times of extreme lag like Surface server on weekend afternoons it is very easy to accidentally click "take object" when trying to load messages on a message board fixture. Leading to twenty minutes, in laggy times, of trying to straighten it again often with dirty looks from anyone around who thinks you took it intentionally... or that you are just an idiot, which I don't deny I might be.
Oh goodness, I've been there. When I was a new player, I thought we had to pray at shrines of our faith. I found a Mystran shrine outside a house in Cordor and would pray there. One day I accidentally picked it up. It was my first interaction with a fixture. I frantically asked friends, how do I put it down. When I did put it down, it was very crooked. I was mortified. I ran away and hoped nobody else saw.

Gwenneth_Corvain

Post by Gwenneth_Corvain » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:12 pm

That has happened to me before as well. It is easy to accidentally hit the wrong key and "pick up" when you did not mean to.

Just to spread the knowledge how to place an item easier if this happens to you:

rotating:
- put the item down, crooked or not, doesn't matter
- stand next to that item and type "rotate_fixture north" to align it 100% with the maps grid
- rotate_fixture 90 / 180 / 270 will then turn within the grid
- rotate_fixture 15 is the smallest angle i have managed to rotate, but it is possible to rotate something by -20, then by 15 to get a 5 degree rotation

moving:
- stand next to your placeable and type "-move_fixture X Y Z"
- to move something approx. 1 meter into the Y axis you would type "-move fixture 0 1 0"
- negative values and fraction values of 0.1 are possible
- The Z-axis has a limit of + / - 0.8. You can sink items up to 80cm below ground level with this

picking up:
-pickup_fixture allows you to pick up an item that you accidentally moved out of your range, so long as it is the closest to you of any placeables

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:19 pm

Since we're talking about it, could the cooldown for -pickup_fixture be reduced to 5 or 10 seconds? When I'm trying to hang a painting I basically put the painting down, see it's not in the right spot, and often have to -pickup_fixture to retrieve it. -move_fixture doesn't work because often I have to stick the painting on what the game considers out of bounds, which is also why I need to use -pickup_fixture to retrieve it.

LasharaDyran

Post by LasharaDyran » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:29 am

Though even an "are you sure" added to the menu to prevent unintended pickups would be helpful.
This.
I have chanted "Use, don't take" over and over to myself at times.

I have no idea why my brain refuses to work properly around these two functions occasionally, but it is soul-rending to accidentally pickup that perfectly positioned fixture in a row of similarly perfectly arranged fixtures, especially if the person who spent maybe RL hours arranging those fixtures is watching you.

I welcome the game making giving me a second chance to avoid that mistake.