Fighter, Paladin, & Uncanny Dodge

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

ltlukoziuz

Re: Fighter, Paladin, & Uncanny Dodge

Post by ltlukoziuz » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:39 pm

New one does too on lvl 10

Currently playing: Sabina Paultier

Itikar

Post by Itikar » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:58 am

Oh, right, I had just mentioned this in the warlock topic, that it's weird that so many classes get uncanny dodges, while there are odd outliers there, like bards.

I distinctly recall that when the matter was raised for bards, it was answered it was in study to remove it from other classes. Since then hexblade got uncanny dodge. :P

IMHO way too many classes have uncanny dodge, that do not get it normally. Monk, ranger, spellblade and yes also hexblade are but a few examples of uncanny dodge awarded maybe a little too generously. Warlock too, perhaps.

This is not necessarily bad, but it makes the exceptions stand out the most.

Also:
Apothys wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:25 pm
Well uncanny dodge is quite powerful as it advances:

As of Enhanced Edition patch 1.74, uncanny dodge II grants immunity to sneak attacks from a flanking attacker unless the attacker has at least four more combined class levels of rogue, assassin, and barbarian than the defender. (Shadowdancer and blackguard levels are not counted.) For example, a level 10 rogue would have this immunity when attacked by a level 13 rogue, but not when attacked by a level 14 rogue. This immunity does not apply when the defender is flat-footed.

However if this bonus would apply if added to a class not specified above i am unsure.
Uncanny Dodge II is the second feat, so it's the one got by barbarians, rogues, shadowdancers, not from most classes that get it on Arelith. The regular uncanny dodge simply allows to retain dexterity ac when flat-footed, which for a dexterity build can be extremely frustrating.

Vestmore

Post by Vestmore » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:21 pm

Considering it's presence on several classes that one wouldn't "traditionally" associate with dexterity (I use quotes as most classes can be built either way) I do genuinely see no reason for this not to be a pickup on two of the main martial based classes. Fighter's and Paladin's are well trained warriors, and it stands to reason they would have this training if Warlocks and Spellswords also get it.

From a mechanics perspective I'd also argue that UD1 is a huge QoL tool for dexterity builds, and lacking it for leveling purposes is rather painful in the early levels.

Pala
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Pala » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:23 am

Any devs want to weigh in?