Roleplay Experience

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Stop. Ninja Time

Re: Roleplay Experience

Post by Stop. Ninja Time » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:22 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:37 am
That said, I'm also glad that the 120 xp gain was reduced - because it probably does the opposite of what y'all think it does.

Let me explain.

So I think we can all agree that adventure xp is easier to get at pre-20 levels right? Because that's when the writs are yeah?

Right.

The problem is that 12x120 is 1440 xp out of your adventuring pool every hour. That's a large chunk of what most writs give you. So if you want to keep getting that nice chunk of adventure xp you really have to keep grinding at pre levels. Or else you'll get to 20 and find yourself with very little adventure xp in your pot- and little ability to gain large chunks of it later on - again neccesitating grinding orc lands over and over again.

Wheres if you have say, just 20 xp coming out per hour, that's just 240 - a lot slower yeah but also a lot easier to 'keep up with' so you can get to your level 20, and still have lots of adventure xp ticking in in a steady rate, letting you chill and rp in higher levels whilst still getting that nice dribble of xp.

That's my wonky take on it anyway.
That take on it makes sense, and I agree that it would be hard to keep up with your pool. As a suggestion that I didn't see above:

If the great part of this change is feeling like you get to RP, but the huge amount of xp encourages grinding - why not make it only tick down while in a 'town'?

Go out adventuring/grinding and finish your writs and walk out with 5000 adventure xp. Come back to town (lets exclude actual housing so people go outside) and you can sit around and get freebie xp for the next 3-4 hours. You then actually have a pool when you get back as opposed to using your entire pool doing your next writ. I think this would encourage RP as well as even the grinders would get benefit from returning to town for extended periods to use up their pool, especially if their grindzones get full of people (reducing grind xp gain)

A town then would be any place that doesn't really have much in the way of monsters (Cordor Frontier, Cordor, Trade Route to Bendir, the buildings within) but not houses (because closed door Rping doesn't need more rewards).

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:49 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
The problem is that 12x120 is 1440 xp out of your adventuring pool every hour. That's a large chunk of what most writs give you. So if you want to keep getting that nice chunk of adventure xp you really have to keep grinding at pre levels. Or else you'll get to 20 and find yourself with very little adventure xp in your pot- and little ability to gain large chunks of it later on - again neccesitating grinding orc lands over and over again.

Wheres if you have say, just 20 xp coming out per hour, that's just 240 - a lot slower yeah but also a lot easier to 'keep up with' so you can get to your level 20, and still have lots of adventure xp ticking in in a steady rate, letting you chill and rp in higher levels whilst still getting that nice dribble of xp.
Can't quote this part enough.

While the overall exp gain is reduced, in a sense, the new change is also allowing player characters to bank more adventure xp for later on rather than exhausting the adventure xp pool. Lower levels will be slightly longer, but as a consequence, PCs can also complete more unique writs without out leveling the contents and bank themselves more adventure xp as they reach epic levels.

Still, though, that thread title was is a clickbait. I was expecting some RP vs Mechanics dissertation which would then lead to Stormwind Fallacy and its Reddit link.

Watchful Glare

Post by Watchful Glare » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:09 pm

Kenji wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:49 pm
The GrumpyCat wrote:

Can't quote this part enough.

While the overall exp gain is reduced, in a sense, it's also allowing player characters to bank more adventure xp for later on rather than exhaust them all in one go. Lower levels will be slightly longer, but as a consequence, PCs can complete more unique writs without out leveling the contents and bank themselves more adventure xp as they reach epic levels.

Still, though, that thread title was is a clickbait. I was expecting some RP vs Mechanics dissertation which would then lead to Stormwind Fallacy and its Reddit link.
In this case, it was literal roleplay experience, makes me chuckle that it misled so many.

To this I'll say that my characters when they reach max level (usually but not always) do so with an excess of Adventure XP that is rarely used. I have experienced running out of adventure XP once due to a lot of roleplay and having stopped taking writs or going out, but no more.

The previous proposal about making it tick for 120 when not in combat, and just RPing in places is very good.
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:22 am

You'll get to a point where XP doesn't really matter.

It's nice and fine and you'll get excited when a buddy tells you "900 TNL!!!!" and you go ":DDDDD lets GOOOO"

but beyond that, the fixation of the grind is unhealthy, unfortunately. And I really feel bad for players that think they need mechanical power to be narratively relevant.

To be honest, I avoid players who spread that correlation and obtusely incorporate that into their roleplay. (psst they're often forgotten fast too.)

Maybe I'm alone, but it's actually awful getting to level 30. There's some level of finality to it. You don't get to see an interesting growth of mechanics-narrative-mechanics ("oh I can go everywhere now" vs. "wtf I can't step a foot outside of Cordor"). You start looking at a new journey, even if you've only been playing a PC for like 3-4 months - which would've been 12+ months many years ago, and carried a different weight.

Personally, I think RPR should be tied more to the -adventure mechanic, because writs are supposed to be "adventures" yet people only just really talk about them as obligatory grind fests.

I wish they were harder, weirder, more obtuse, more prolonged, more beleaguered, more... adventurous.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Scraps

Post by Scraps » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:08 am

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Seconding, or thirding or whatever. This was even more of a pain at lower levels, depending on the area you'd need to actively be doing your writs with -adventure active to try and keep pace.

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:08 am

Overall I'm glad that there will be some period of gathering data, feedback, and adjustments. For something like this where it doesn't make or break characters/concepts/builds having an extended period of fine tuning is the right way to go IMO.

Personally I don't think it's at the ideal yet and would rather the 1-10 range be boosted a bit but my individual performance and thoughts may not be representative of the behavior of the average player.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:32 am

This is going in the right direction I think, and of course it's going to be a bumpy ride along the way.

I came to Arelith from a server that didn't have anything even close to experience ticks, and that had been something I really wanted over there. When I saw that here I was hooked. Surely I can't be the only one.

Player retention (especially NEW players) on Arelith must be a factor somewhere in this, and RP XP makes an immediate impression just 10-20 minutes into the new player experience. BAM! XP for roleplaying in bright yellow letters. That tells new players one thing: roleplaying is very welcome here.

For the longest time the first thing I did with a new character was turn off -adventure, with a heavy heart, because this really is an elegant solution deserving to be polished up.

It's impossible to do anything with RPR without also facing the idea that it isn't fair, and I'm not sure there's any way to ever fully escape this perception. The number of players has tripled since 2016 and I can only imagine how hard it is now to get the justified 'attention' in this area that many players probably deserve.

RPR should probably have some impact, but I certainly wouldn't mind that impact to be lessened as this continues to be fleshed out. There are times I actually feel bad or undeserving for having 40 RPR, so maybe I have a bit of a guilty conscience driving this opinion.

PS - Those bringing whatever happens on discord here: Please, with sugar, please don't. Maybe I'm the only one (I probably am ngl) but I'm not in the main discord, or any discord, and I come to the forums to be blissfully unaware of it. Feedback on the forums shouldn't be immediately assumed as discord runoff - new threads should be judged on their own merit.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:05 pm

Skibbles wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:32 am
I came to Arelith from a server that didn't have anything even close to experience ticks, and that had been something I really wanted over there. When I saw that here I was hooked. Surely I can't be the only one.
This quote describes me accurately, too. It astounds
me that every RP server doesn't do it in some form or another, now I've experienced it.

I think my position has been made abundantly clear so I won't rehash it, but I am going to go out on a limb and say we're all contributing to this thread because we all love RP XP and want to see it be the best it can be.

Really enjoying reading through this. Thank you all 🙂

MageTankTech

Post by MageTankTech » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:56 pm

Aradin wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:35 pm
This is a really interesting conversation, and I think it's an important one to have. I'm not sure there's a "right" answer to the question of "How quickly should characters on Arelith be able to level up?" Some people would like to get to max level quickly and efficiently for any number of reasons (being on even footing in PVP, getting that "grind goblin" off your shoulder, unlocking RP tools like scrying, yoinking, etc.), some people want the journey to level 30 to be a slow and earned experience, some people don't care either way, and I'd bet some people would just like to be set to max level when they create a new character so as to bypass all of it. And those are all fine and valid takes on xp gain, even if some of them are mutually exclusive.

My opinion would be to err on the side of granting more xp rather than less, for one main reason: as players, we choose when we level up. If you don't want to level up, just don't hit that level up button. But people who want to level quickly don't have a "level up quicker" button. Players who want to level slowly can already level slowly no matter how much xp the system gives them. No amount of xp gain can ever invalidate the tactic of "don't press the level up button".
For sure it takes self-control to not hit that tantalizing button. We're hardwired as gamers to go bigger, faster, stronger whenever we can. But I think that's a terrific tool for players who want the slow journey to 30 (and I'm one of them!). If we can work with that tool, then why not grant more xp overall so the people who want to level quickly can more enjoy their time here?

I think this line from Farlius succinctly sums up my overall view and is a great quote.
Farlius wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:29 pm
...why are people so fascinated with other people's levels? Just do what you're going to do.
This. Just this.

What is the ultimate point of deciding "Balance" on any game? For the sake of enjoyment of the people playing it.

Does Sam leveling faster or slower make for a less enjoyable game for Tom? No. It only changes Sam's enjoyment of the game.

Therefore shouldn't all balancing decisions be based on what Sam wants and not what Tom wants for Sam?

I have seen comments on things like "it encourages players to do x and y". Players don't need encouragement to have fun.

They will find the way they enjoy playing this game and play it that way. This business about balancing is just going to influence how easy or difficult it is to get what they want.

For the record I took a character from level 10 to 26 almost entirely on Adventure Exp. There is a little option which allows one to change exp gain from (100% Normal) to (50% Normal and 100% Adventure).

To be clear I have no opinion on these changes. It just seemed to me like people were stressing a bit too much over this.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:08 pm

Havent you ever had an incident where you have conflict with someone, you go mia for a week for RL stuff, you come back and they are 10 lvls higher than you and just roflstomp you with the advantage they know they have? I'm sorry but the general leveling speed of the world affects EVERYONE and saying stuff like "mind your own business and level at the speed you fancy and is enjoyable to you" is missing the point by miles. Other people's leveling speed affects what is enjoyable to you and it would be delusional to say otherwise.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Duchess Says

Post by Duchess Says » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:36 pm

A counterpoint to that would be that faster leveling lets you catch up if you have to go MIA or just have less play time in general than someone you're conflicting with. I am not arguing for faster leveling necessarily but holding back players actually in the game so those who can't play for a while don't left behind isn't the reason.

There are a lot of differences between Arelith and a true PnP game and one is in PnP you'll almost almost have a group leveling at the same pace. Level really doesn't matter there because you're not constantly dealing with players 20 levels higher than you and the content you're exploring (assuming the DM is worth a darn) is going to be rich and fun at every level, and suited for that level.

So really in that way there is some merit to "RP begins at 30" (or so, I think low epics is my own comfort zone). That's the equalizer where even if you don't have the same play time as other you've caught up with everyone and can take part in the same content. I don't believe that attitude should pervade every thing you do and +of course+ you should be RPing all along the way, not just to put on a show in case a DM is monitoring but to actually add to the world. But it's also human nature to want to keep progressing and moving forward especially in a game like this where you get new tricks and the ability to go new places and do new things with every level. The key is finding a pace where it's not boring and to figure out how to make it feel as rich a world at level 15 as it does at level 30, because honestly at level 15 on a character right now most of what I feel is that I need to be pushing forward and there's not a lot of reason (other than perhaps a sense of duty or integrity to do so) to stop and smell the roses.

Wrips

Post by Wrips » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:31 pm

from the Annoucements thread wrote:- Our intentions are for players to be able to run some writs and then go RP, and while RPing receive sufficiently significant XP bonuses to make that RP not feel like so steep an opportunity cost compared to more grinding.
I don't think an extra 60 max(?) xp each 6 minutes really changes anything. I also don't think the problem lies in the level interval where writs can be done; the fact is that there's 200,000 xp separating level 22 from 30 - and people will want to reach the max level eventually, why wouldn't they?

Farlius

Post by Farlius » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:16 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:08 pm
Havent you ever had an incident where you have conflict with someone, you go mia for a week for RL stuff, you come back and they are 10 lvls higher than you and just roflstomp you with the advantage they know they have? I'm sorry but the general leveling speed of the world affects EVERYONE and saying stuff like "mind your own business and level at the speed you fancy and is enjoyable to you" is missing the point by miles. Other people's leveling speed affects what is enjoyable to you and it would be delusional to say otherwise.
Except your argument only works in a vacuum where you can gain levels infinitely.
Also, how do they know your level? Do you tell them?
Can't you make rp out of this?
What about the coveted 24 hour rule providing recovery opportunity?
I'd expect more from the opposition, especially if they out level you than a simple KB day in, day out. Which by the way breaches the be nice rule.

To finish my point off, you reap what you sow. If you were equal in strength but now are not, how about admitting that, seek help, admit defeat, avoid where you know that person goes, conflict rp doesn't spring up out of nothing, and even paladin types shouldn't charge into knowing death. There's many avenues here for you and them besides your paper thin "but my level is lower :(".

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:42 am

Farlius wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:16 am
Except your argument only works in a vacuum where you can gain levels infinitely.
Also, how do they know your level? Do you tell them?
Can't you make rp out of this?
What about the coveted 24 hour rule providing recovery opportunity?
I'd expect more from the opposition, especially if they out level you than a simple KB day in, day out. Which by the way breaches the be nice rule.

To finish my point off, you reap what you sow. If you were equal in strength but now are not, how about admitting that, seek help, admit defeat, avoid where you know that person goes, conflict rp doesn't spring up out of nothing, and even paladin types shouldn't charge into knowing death. There's many avenues here for you and them besides your paper thin "but my level is lower ".
I was just giving one example as to why other people's leveling speed affects you. Whether you accept it or not is up to you. What I or anyone else does when they are defeated and how they make RP out of it is really not related at all to what I'm talking about. Sure, I can make lemonade from lemons but we're talking about what makes a game more or less fun. How would you feel if one day everyone would start at lvl 30, except you, but nothing would change for you right? So it shouldnt matter to you, except it obviously would, and that's all I meant. You cannot separate yourself from the rest of the players who play the game. If everyone suddenly level faster but you dont, then it affects you one way or another. Making lemonades from lemons is a very poor counter argument. But I rest my case here.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Farlius

Post by Farlius » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:56 am

Except those are different goalposts now.
Making everyone level 30 defeats the point of this entire thread, nevermind the stories on the path of growth and the connection we feel with the characters we play.

And again you fall back on a vacuum.
If everyone levels faster, why aren't you somehow included. There is only a fixed range of xp available right?
But sure, tell me I can't seperate myself from all the other players then make arguments that rely on that.
Rest your case all you want, doesn't change that in actual quantifiable play on the server you can't cherrypick between how your action will have consequences. Make conflict, deal with it accordingly.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:58 am

I'm really enjoying the server supporting my RP time with more XP. It doesn't matter what's coming in, it's just nice to see there's a little bonus happening whilst I'm enjoying the story.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:58 am

I agree with both Astral and Farlius in spirit.
AstralUniverse wrote:
...the general leveling speed of the world affects EVERYONE and saying stuff like "mind your own business and level at the speed you fancy and is enjoyable to you" is missing the point by miles.
I don't think we should be so focused on the the PvP part mentioned, but this part here.

Faster leveling speed does affect the world: it will affect the player economy, stories of growth, amount of PvE gold obtained (the slower one levels the more monsters they kill = more gold. Fast leveling without PvE = players hitting level 30 being without the resources to handle epic content), or you might out level your buddies if you're actively avoiding dungeons, but being active in RP while they aren't logged in, so you can cruise and bruise together once they're off work, etc.

So yes, I totally am on board with Farlius as far as being overly concerned with other people's levels go being usually a bit much, but at the same time we can't simply ignore it entirely because there's other things at play. Many systems, especially the economy, are very interconnected to the leveling experience.

Leveling too fast, RP/PVP/Mind-one's-own-biz and all that aside, could just make characters land on epic content with a bronze sword, mundane chainmail, and 15k in the bank. That's not ideal either.

Ultimately this just tells me it's a matter of finding the right balance, and that seems to be the dev's current goal, but I just wanted to say that both people have valid points in my opinion.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:19 am

The gold argument is somewhat flawed.

> there are certain classes that can operate very efficiently on a low budget. For example: Clerics can get by with bronze gear thanks to weapon and armor buffs, Druids don't need any gear whatsoever. Furthermore both classes have access to zoo spells and healing magic so they don't need to spend gold on consumables like potions, wands and healing kits.

> there's a subset of players who are gunning for awards. They don't need a rich character with optimized gear - their goal is to barely reach lvl 25 ASAP then roll - rinse repeat until they get their half-drow half-celestial catperson toon with tail horns and wings - only then they'll get really serious.

There's another take in this thread that I'd like to comment on here too:
AstralUniverse wrote:
Personally, I am not so much concerned about getting outlvled by my character's rivals as I am concerned about their player rolling them while our characters still have unfinished business.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:10 am

-XXX- wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:19 am
Personally, I am not so much concerned about getting outlvled by my character's rivals as I am concerned about their player rolling them while our characters still have unfinished business.
That would be my second example.
Svrtr wrote:

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:13 am

Stop. Ninja Time wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:22 pm
The GrumpyCat wrote:
That said, I'm also glad that the 120 xp gain was reduced - because it probably does the opposite of what y'all think it does.

Let me explain.

So I think we can all agree that adventure xp is easier to get at pre-20 levels right? Because that's when the writs are yeah?

Right.

That's my wonky take on it anyway.
That take on it makes sense, and I agree that it would be hard to keep up with your pool. As a suggestion that I didn't see above:

If the great part of this change is feeling like you get to RP, but the huge amount of xp encourages grinding - why not make it only tick down while in a 'town'?

Go out adventuring/grinding and finish your writs and walk out with 5000 adventure xp. Come back to town (lets exclude actual housing so people go outside) and you can sit around and get freebie xp for the next 3-4 hours. You then actually have a pool when you get back as opposed to using your entire pool doing your next writ. I think this would encourage RP as well as even the grinders would get benefit from returning to town for extended periods to use up their pool, especially if their grindzones get full of people (reducing grind xp gain)

A town then would be any place that doesn't really have much in the way of monsters (Cordor Frontier, Cordor, Trade Route to Bendir, the buildings within) but not houses (because closed door Rping doesn't need more rewards).
Yeah no, some of us like to primarily rp as adventurers/rangers/etc
not just grind out our writs really fast and head back to rp approved locations.

Stop. Ninja Time

Post by Stop. Ninja Time » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:02 pm

malcolm_mountainslayer wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:13 am
not just grind out our writs really fast and head back to rp approved locations.
Fair, this would make playing a ranger of the orclands difficult! Though as I noted in the original suggestion the areas would essentially be non-grind locations; which would be most not-dungeons. That would impinge on the ability to RP an adventurer that like to spend long times in dungeons though. I am surprised you got 'grind out writs' from what I said, as you can do a writ at your own pace regardless.

Anyways an iteration on my suggestion would be:

Adventure XP only is given if you haven't killed anything during that tick. You can sit down and RP anywhere and get the xp, but you have to stop and think about your experiences to get the adventure xp. This'd probably be easier to implement than modifying all areas anyways...

Alternatively just a command to turn off draining your pool would be great. Maybe just -adventure when toggled on prevents consumption of the pool, and toggled off allows it to be used? Fully in the hands of the players then.

Killer on the drive home

Post by Killer on the drive home » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:10 pm

Gold is actually meaningless right now if you just acknowledge leadership. A head run a day for an easy 60k.
Unwanted, too slow
Sent to the world below

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:07 am

Stop. Ninja Time wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:02 pm
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:13 am
Fair, this would make playing a ranger of the orclands difficult! Though as I noted in the original suggestion the areas would essentially be non-grind locations; which would be most not-dungeons. That would impinge on the ability to RP an adventurer that like to spend long times in dungeons though. I am surprised you got 'grind out writs' from what I said, as you can do a writ at your own pace regardless.

Anyways an iteration on my suggestion would be:

Adventure XP only is given if you haven't killed anything during that tick. You can sit down and RP anywhere and get the xp, but you have to stop and think about your experiences to get the adventure xp. This'd probably be easier to implement than modifying all areas anyways...

Alternatively just a command to turn off draining your pool would be great. Maybe just -adventure when toggled on prevents consumption of the pool, and toggled off allows it to be used? Fully in the hands of the players then.
I admit this is a better iteration than your previous idea, but again I like to RP on the move and walk my way through areas when in a group of the group will allow me. Bonding via combat is a rp niche i enjoy as relying on others to jabe your back in life and death situations IRL has way more value than casual on the street conversations and like the adventurer aspect of that in a DnD setting. With your idea you are encouraging all or nothing for combat or rp which is exactly the very thing some of us do not want.

Stop. Ninja Time

Post by Stop. Ninja Time » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:31 am

Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:07 am

I admit this is a better iteration than your previous idea, but again I like to RP on the move and walk my way through areas when in a group of the group will allow me. Bonding via combat is a rp niche i enjoy as relying on others to jabe your back in life and death situations IRL has way more value than casual on the street conversations and like the adventurer aspect of that in a DnD setting. With your idea you are encouraging all or nothing for combat or rp which is exactly the very thing some of us do not want.
You're not alone in that! All my writs/adventure is with others as that makes it actually fun. So I disagree with the idea that it encourages 'all or nothing for combat or rp', because well, I'm in the same boat as you and don't see it that way. I go out, do my writs and explore a bunch with a group of people and when the writs are done I sit down and RP with them and I'm able to focus on that rather than stabbing things.

I suppose the two of us just have differing opinions on the amount of adventuring we want to do. I like to go adventuring with folk and return to town; so having out-of-combat xp is perfect for that time. But that doesn't work for you. I don't want my adventure xp pool to drain while I'm filling it with writs/-adventure mode, precisely because I RP through dungeons slowly and it would empty faster than I could fill it and I'd because I need that for when I get back to town and I'm RPing for a few hours.

Sounds like the best bet is just command tied, so those of us that don't want to waste the pool while adventuring can store it; while those that want to spend it to speed up leveling or to empty a very full pool can do so.

Farlius

Post by Farlius » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:50 am

If you use your adventuring xp pool, whether while out and about, or sitting in a tavern, then you still got that xp. It's not like it was lost to the ether.
I think it's aptly named adventuring xp to reflect experience in adventuring which is more akin to life wisdom you reflect on. As long as you are using the pool, you are learning from the macro viewpoint.
Combat xp is more immediate because it reflects training, knowledge and prowess against foes.

In this way I think the concern of an empty pool is still valid, it means you aren't passively reflecting on a journey.
But to me that means maybe you need to have another, perhaps with adventure mode on to pay more attention (and get 150% of the xp), instead of just disabling adventure xp if you killed something.

I highlighted why that's an issue in an earlier post, 1 rat or 300 orcs would be treated the same if killed in that 1 tick, and even if you put a counter for kills on every character that's checked every 5 minutes, that just feels like bloat to me from a programmers perspective. Especially for what is a relatively harmless "problem" that can be adressed by just a perspective shift, as above.