Wizard Gear Recipes

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Bunnysmack
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Wizard Gear Recipes

Post by Bunnysmack » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:25 pm

I always get a bit hesitant to tangle with hornets nests like this, as many people have varying opinions on where game balance lands for iconic classes, but here goes...

From what I've observed, Wizard has fallen well behind most other spellcasting classes in terms of gear options. Im not really referring to staff and robes, but primarily to head and neck slot options for gear. Arcane headband is painfully inferior to any other caster headpiece, and wizards have 0 neck slot options for class-specific crafting.

I know that in the old days wizards were seen as overtooled, but currently it seems they've fallen largely behind in terms of class-based gear.
"You're insufferable..."
"That's not true! I can totally be suffered!"

AstralUniverse

Re: Wizard Gear Recipes

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:24 am

Circlet of logic is very easy to make, can be further enchanted without hard 5% iirc, after that it's a relatively cheap hard 5% in terms of costs and ingredients, and AFTER that it can still take a masterwork rune. Considering how easy it is to make, I'd say it's a fine BiS for wizards. If we compare that to a FS helmet... just take a look at the recipe..
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:19 am

I guess the ultimate question here is: What would one recommend they have?

What does a wizard really need other than intelligence and constitution? Spell slots, of course, but I think we have to be very wary about giving wizards plain extra spell slots on items because that would immediately put sorcerers into the precarious position of being elbowed out of the one of the biggest things they hold over wizard right now.

Astral Universe's pro-tip on the circlet of logic is great, and I didn't even know that was a thing, but even then I found that being head to toe in the traditional 1/1 2/2/2/2/1 felt very comfortable especially given wizard's enormous skill point pool.

It kinda feels 'right' to me that a wizard is sort of gently pushed into using the basin to craft their stuff.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:42 am

Skibbles wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:19 am
It kinda feels 'right' to me that a wizard is sort of gently pushed into using the basin to craft their stuff.
They also get free tier 3 enchanting by lvl 24 with no feat investment, sorcerers too. These classes having that factor taken into account in how their gear options are designed, couldnt be any more on point. Makes a lot of sense to me as well.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Bunnysmack
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Bunnysmack » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:19 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:24 am
Circlet of logic is very easy to make, can be further enchanted without hard 5% iirc, after that it's a relatively cheap hard 5% in terms of costs and ingredients, and AFTER that it can still take a masterwork rune. Considering how easy it is to make, I'd say it's a fine BiS for wizards. If we compare that to a FS helmet... just take a look at the recipe..
I was unaware you could enchant it absent a hard 5% roll. Hmmmn, that would change things. I disagree that a calculation of the second enchantment being a "relatively cheap hard 5% in terms of costs and ingredients." DC 42 item, 280 craft points, requires diamond, silver, and a greater catalyst. Individually, that's not a lot for a high end gear piece, but, after you likely fail a number of initial attempts to enchant, THEN you have a roughly 8K cost tacked on to merely attempt the 1/20 chance of hard 5%. I'd say unless you get insanely lucky, this endeavor will end up costing several hundred thousand gold, if not more. Additionally, masterwork runes are hardly cheap. I'd much rather hunt a beljuril, some mithril dust, and commission a golden crown than go after all that.

I'll admit, you also make a fair point about the free T3 basin use, I suppose that does even things out somewhat more for gear.
"You're insufferable..."

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:29 pm

I'm not 100% sure tbh. Maybe the first enchantment is already hard 5%. I think it isnt but that may depend on what you're adding. Either way, even if it's hard 5% for the first enchantment, c'mon mate, diamond greater catalyst and silver ingot. No mithril dust,. no rare gem, no adamantine, not even some annoying herbalism-based ingredient that's annoying to obtain. I consider this a very convenient recipe for mass-production. As for 42 DC, it's pretty standard, and 280 CP is not a lot. You also have to account for people who got Commoner friends who can finish 2 of these in a RL day. If I compare this to the FS helmet, it has ingredients like mithril dust and rarest gem, so it's not an enchanting candidate at all, and needs a masterwork rune right of the get-go so it's way more expensive and potentially still weaker in properties.
Svrtr wrote:

Bunnysmack
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Bunnysmack » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:25 pm

Difference being, you make the FS helmet and you are done. To match up, you need to mass-produce the circlet of Logic, and the failures+production are highly likely to add up to more than the cost of a mithril dust and beljuril; probably way more.
"You're insufferable..."