Ship Schematics are (becoming) useless (?)

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

SCP-079

Ship Schematics are (becoming) useless (?)

Post by SCP-079 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:10 am

Since the update from 29.08.2021 "Destroyed Ships will no longer lose their Upgrades" ( https://discord.com/channels/7171008456 ... 0330318919 )

This seems to render the following items useless (?) once all ships on the server have been improved fully:

- Ship Schematic (Diving Bell) [Needed for a LV2 Diving Bell Upgrade, only useful for ships that come with a Diving Bell]

- Ship Schematic (Hull) [Needed for a LV4 Hull Upgrade, only some ships can have this upgrade]

- Ship Schematic (Sails) [Needed for a LV4 Sails Upgrade, only some ships can have this upgrade]

All three items are fairly rare loot and are still present in the loot matrix, but the only thing left to do with them seems to be the peddler.

Would it be possible to give them a use beyond ship upgrades, such as introducing an option to exchange them for other naval items at a shipwright NPC (as those shipwrights sure would have a constant demand for those?) ?

Rasha
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Ship Schematics are (becoming) useless (?)

Post by Rasha » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:41 am

I’m personally hoping that the “no tier loss” is only temporary.
-=- Somebody that You used to Know -=-

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:28 pm

Having destroyed ships lose upgrades is BAD because it strongly incentivizes people to never ever ever ever engage in any forms of naval combat under any circumstances ever.

Just imagine losing all that millions gp worth of runic gear upon every PvP death - we wouldn't have seen much PvP taking place had that been the case now, would've we? Ship upgrades are no different in this regard.

I do agree however that hull schematics seem to have lost their purpose once all ships got fully upgraded now.
Perhaps ship upgrades should deteriorate over time to keep hull upgrades relevant instead.

ZeroPointEnergy
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by ZeroPointEnergy » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:41 pm

-XXX- wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:28 pm
Perhaps ship upgrades should deteriorate over time to keep hull upgrades relevant instead.
Personally speaking, I'm not looking for another thing to juggle when maintaining a ship. It's supposed to be fun and not a job.

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:49 pm

Perhaps just have every one on the sinking ship lose some gold from their bank.
aka repair/new ship cost.

Maybe?
5000 gold for levels 1 to 10.
1000 for levels 11 to 20.
15000 for 21 to 30.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:53 pm

ZeroPointEnergy wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:41 pm
-XXX- wrote:
Personally speaking, I'm not looking for another thing to juggle when maintaining a ship. It's supposed to be fun and not a job.
Mimic this point. Unless sailing offered a gross means of earning money, requiring via a rare item isn't worth it aside for people.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:03 pm

ZeroPointEnergy wrote:
-XXX- wrote:
I get it. A counter argument to that would be that ships are pieces of IG real estate content that's too exlusive for one person to be using on their own as their personal property and that a faction constituting a ship's crew should have no issues with the ship's maintenance.

In other words, unless there's any way of having ships lose their upgrade tiers, ship schematics become pointless and might just as well be removed from the loot matrix (which I somewhat doubt was the intent all along).
Losing tiers upon the ship getting sunk turned out to be a poor solution, but IMO there's still need for an alternative to that.

Itikar

Post by Itikar » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:13 am

An interesting approach could be to add a life expectancy to the upgrades, that may be shortened with some factors, such as being destroyed, going through storms, etc.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:40 am

Hello,

Main reason for removing the tier penalty on destroyed ships was so players would dare voyage the seas more and take part of naval combat. I've no reason to remove this change atm as it seems clear from the stats I've seen ships are used more often.

That being said what the OP stated is true. Schematics are now essentially useless rare items for ships since they at some point will all be upgraded. I may lower their spawn rate, probably will, but have no immediate idea for what further purpose these schematics will have beyond upgrades. But I'd encourage players to still keep these schematics because I will probably add additional features related to them in the future. What that may be is not clear at the moment, but it could be something as straight forward as selling them to a NPC and get a huge chunk of gold and materials in return or have them being traded for other more rare ship related items like map pieces or similar.

They could also possibly see a future of a type of unique currency for ships like customizing their appearance like getting unique flags to hoist or infuse weapon projectile with different properties. So for now, yeah, kinda useless, but do keep them as they will see a use again for fully upgraded ships.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:52 pm

ZeroPointEnergy wrote:
-XXX- wrote:
but upkeep of the ship is part of maintaining it

just like you have upkeep on your weapons, armor, etc.
Yes I can sign

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:05 pm

I'm just waiting for the day we go Full ArcheAge with our ship mechanics. Trade runs and all. God what a day that will be.

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

a shrouded figure

Post by a shrouded figure » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:26 pm

It was sorta touched on, but I do like the idea of temporary ship buffs being crafted via the schematics. Like using a sail schematic to make a two hour sail boosting extra sail or something like that.

JubJub

Post by JubJub » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:42 pm

So if you fully upgrade your ship and sell it does the upgrades stay? Maybe make it so a ship that's sold loses some upgrades, like I noticed when I bought a house the locks didn't stay at the lvl the previous owner had them at.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:56 pm

JubJub wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:42 pm
So if you fully upgrade your ship and sell it does the upgrades stay? Maybe make it so a ship that's sold loses some upgrades, like I noticed when I bought a house the locks didn't stay at the lvl the previous owner had them at.
Yes something like this will probably happen as well for non rental Ships.

Farlius

Post by Farlius » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:33 am

It may be better to instead offer alternative fittings.
Speed vs durability vs stealth etc.
The ship owner having to outfit it and the upgrades being stored at a shipswain at a dock so new owners only acquire the currently equipped upgrades.
The door lock change to me was because you would likely change the key cylinder in the door frame for security reasons.
That doesn't translate well to "I changed the ablative armour on the ship to no armour".