Idea for spell progression...

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Exordius

Idea for spell progression...

Post by Exordius » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:12 pm

This is not a suggestion though i plan to post it as one once the board opens up. For now its just for discussion.

There is a mod available which lets spell slot progression continue into epic levels. More slots is always better and while the amount you get is not that big, every little bit helps. Thoughts?

Killer on the drive home

Re: Idea for spell progression...

Post by Killer on the drive home » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:21 pm

More slots is better. That's the problem. You can't just actively buff casters like that.
Unwanted, too slow
Sent to the world below

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:23 pm

True but the amount you get is not that great and im sure the mod could be tweaked to give only one extra slot per level. Even just that would be a great help.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:34 pm

Killer on the drive home wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:21 pm
More slots is better. That's the problem. You can't just actively buff casters like that.
Sure you can.

There are huge chunks of PvE content that would have made spellcasters starved for spellslots even if they had 5x the amount of spells that they do now.

As a rule of a thumb, spellcasters do not tend to run out of spells during PvP encounters, so more spellslots probably would not have factored into PvP balance by a large margin either.

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:17 pm

-XXX- wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:34 pm
As a rule of a thumb, spellcasters do not tend to run out of spells during PvP encounters, so more spellslots probably would not have factored into PvP balance by a large margin either.

It actually might as more slots would mean you can pack enough to handle whatever PVE you're engaged in and have a full set of PVP spells ready. That's basically the main strength of innate casters--- being able to react in an ambush so it would be another thing to make them less desirable to play.

Not that I'm saying I do or don't like the idea.. there might be something there.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:29 pm

When you push for more powerful spellcasting I want you to consider how martials fare on Arelith.

I leveled up a rogue build, and I mean a planned 25 rogue/ 5 blackguard with no divine shield/might goodies, to 27. I did this as a notorious villain, sometimes just logging on to get killed by a paladin for my crimes and actually losing gold/xp for the day's efforts. It was a struggle finding a party to work with a deranged madman and my prospects as a solo character were non existent. It was hard.

Forgetting the character and focusing on the character sheet, my saving grace is that I can kill individual monsters or characters decently, assuming they can be caught flat footed and or fall for a trap and be stunned or something. That's about it. Even then it's a toss up in a fight with a caster: RP before PVP is mandatory so i don't just materialize from thin air and delete enemy characters, the fights tend to be difficult.

With casters it's a different story: for PVE content you can summon dragons, golems and undead that last basically forever. You can cast stunning, crippling or damaging spells from a distance while doing this. Hell, if it comes to blows in a player versus player situation you can just cast a spell and render me useless the second we go hostile and still have access to all those summoning and damaging goodies.

Don't take this the wrong way, there's no hostility in what I'm saying but I really don't want to see more buffs handed out to full casters. You guys get incredible goodies and can trivialize entire builds and strategies with a single click and a little bit of luck. I'm glad to see casters getting new flavor options if they're not straight up power increases. I'm fine with the unlimited low level spells granted for spell focus feats, that helps out with clearing mobs and being able to do something when you're out of spell slots. But wizards and clerics and druids don't need any more help in terms of power level.

For me the character concept and the joy of roleplaying will always take priority over general power level, and that's why I was okay with such a difficult path. If I wanted to be a PVE god I would've gone full caster. If I wanted to be a PVP god I would've built a better rogue or a weapon master or a full caster. You get to enjoy your character and be arbitrarily powerful at the same time thanks to the magic that is third edition D&D. You're already in a fine position.

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Morgy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:00 am

I don’t think this is needed, as much as it may be wanted.

This would give another bonus to clerics/druids/wizards over their spontaneous counterparts.

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:51 am

Not happening.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:21 am

I could see something like that being a thing in a world where everyone is more dispellable, and mundanes are less reliant on wards. Clearly it's a different world. Not here.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too