Yuan-Ti pure blood snake form

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

MrSnickers32

Yuan-Ti pure blood snake form

Post by MrSnickers32 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:20 pm

I greatly enjoy the instant form shifting of the Yuan-Ti race! But, I figured that in snake form a PC should be able to fit through the small holes (such as for goblins, kobolds, etc). I think this would make sense.

Bunnysmack
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Yuan-Ti pure blood snake form

Post by Bunnysmack » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:04 pm

To be honest, a lot of the racial shapeshift forms need some love. They are nice RP cookies, but have some rather glaring issues. It would be great to see them set up in a way that didn't really stack with class abilities too well (so they couldn't be cheesed), but were effective enough to be more of a side-grade with a purpose for various situations.
"You're insufferable..."
"That's not true! I can totally be suffered!"

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:31 am

The Yuan-ti snake form is as cringe as it gets.

A handless snake throwing grenades and wielding 2 daggers while also using god knows what else.

No no wait... even better.. 7 apr shuriken thrower snake. etc etc

And last I checked, you're not even 'polymorphed' so you dont get any bonuses to bluff or anything like that, it just reskins you and you do whatever you do as a humanoid, just as a snake. Very cringe.

Rant over. thanks for reading.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

satan

Post by satan » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:59 pm

Ya..I also found the yuanti reskin very underwhelming. There isn't even a shift GFX like with any other polymorphism. Just a jarring instant now you're a lizard man or snake with 0 in game effects of any kind
Xyxz - Goblin spider druid. RIP
Flail - Orog weapon master RIP
Krom - Half orc Barbarian RIP
Glyngolyn - Firbolg Shadowdancer RIP
Jigjog - the least industrious Kobold ACTIVE
Muck - munching on carion. ACTIVE

Killer on the drive home

Post by Killer on the drive home » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:03 pm

I found that yuan ti players will literally use this lack of GFX to somewhat memeily change mid rp without emoting. It's something I never notice for the the first minute or two.
Unwanted, too slow
Sent to the world below

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aren » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:36 pm

I quite like it.

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:14 pm

I prefer it as its current non-polymorph fluff effect as opposed to a polymorph one with all the balancing implications inherit with it.

satan

Post by satan » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:37 pm

Really? You prefer a jarring one frame changeover and snakes throwing daggers to something with a modicum of realism?

Takes all types I guess
Xyxz - Goblin spider druid. RIP
Flail - Orog weapon master RIP
Krom - Half orc Barbarian RIP
Glyngolyn - Firbolg Shadowdancer RIP
Jigjog - the least industrious Kobold ACTIVE
Muck - munching on carion. ACTIVE

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:44 pm

If it was only fluff effect, sure. But now you're obscuring all your wards and gear, not to mention looking ridiculous. At least in lizard shape you make some sense. What sense are you making in snake shape?

Currently playing: Sabina Paultier

Duchess Says

Post by Duchess Says » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:47 pm

Is changing forms even a canon Yuan-Ti thing?

I don't care either way but just curious. The way it's implemented it feels more like an illusion than a shapechange honestly, which is cool in its own way but I'm sure goes against how some may see it.

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:49 pm

Duchess Says wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:47 pm
Is changing forms even a canon Yuan-Ti thing?

I don't care either way but just curious. The way it's implemented it feels more like an illusion than a shapechange honestly, which is cool in its own way but I'm sure goes against how some may see it.
At least in 3.5 manual, yes, purebloods could change into viper. That was dropped at some later point. Not sure bout lizard form

Currently playing: Sabina Paultier

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:18 am

ltlukoziuz wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:44 pm
If it was only fluff effect, sure. But now you're obscuring all your wards and gear, not to mention looking ridiculous. At least in lizard shape you make some sense. What sense are you making in snake shape?
Snake form obscures mind warding and ultravision style visuals. FoM, Stoneskin, and Prem. style visuals still show up. It would be nice if it could be fixed to show the former effects for sure. As far as gear most is concealable with robes as is but yes, you do get a slight edge by not having to sheath your weapons before RP->PvP to hide information. Consider it less of a worry for seeing someone fighting as can probably figure out their concept just observing the results even without the log or visible weaponry.

Checked on the PGCC to confirm in case I was misremembering.
satan wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:37 pm
Really? You prefer a jarring one frame changeover and snakes throwing daggers to something with a modicum of realism?

Takes all types I guess
Is this something you see used often or not really? Yuan-ti have been around for quite some time and at least I've personally never seen someone spamming it outside of PGCC shenanigans.

I'd rather it remain a visual-only choice over there being balance passes over the form, restricting certain builds because of snake form, or removing all forms.

If there is a band of Yuan-ti running around in snake form intentionally to hide mind immunity and emoting *spits a stream of throwing axes* then that could change my mind, but to me it kind of fits into the same category as -associate or robe options. Yes players can do stupid stuff with them, but would rather see it around and talk to specific people being silly than see it removed for all.