Warlock Class

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Cat In A Hat

Warlock Class

Post by Cat In A Hat » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:04 pm

After having returned to the server upon a long break from the game I have noticed the new stuff the server has put in place and the new changes.. And one of them is the Warlock Class. Though weaker then the old, but much stronger then the last Bard Path update. And being a new class l had so much fun testing things on it. IT's Blast, How things work, what this and that does, how it effects things, what mixes with what.. A LOT of things XD

More Pacts to pick from which come with different and mixed spells to play and toy with. Having up to 8th level spells. Though sadly still not 9th for epic spell focus, but that doesn't break anything honestly. . . Still fun... Still have it's old roots from the past, but a bit beefier then before. You can take multiple different pacts and mix and match as you like which adds flavor to them and makes them more unique and sets them apart.

However, the more pacts you take either, the stronger you get but lack in pact feats you can take. *Enjoys combos* But what of the pure single pacts? Sure they can take alot of those fun pact feats, but nothing really is given to them for being pure. Often l've seen how people mix multiple pacts and leave 1 or 2 pact feats for Dark Blessing and a Dark Invocation. . .

Now this is just me, but l believe and feel that Dark Blessing should only be opened to those who are pure single pact types and not for multiple pacts due to what it does. AGAIN this is just me.

Eyeliner

Re: Warlock Class

Post by Eyeliner » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:51 pm

Mm, I think you need to stick with one pact (or at least not go epic in two) if you want to max out your blast damage or take a few blast feats & have a tier 6 summon. Taking Epic Eldrich Mastery for example eats up like five feats and then if you want Agonizing Blast too I don't think you can even fit Dark Blessing, I don't see how you could do that on anything put a single pact warlock.

A single pact warlock is probably stronger offensively in most cases than a two pact but two pact has a lot more toys to play with. There are so many variables I'm not going to claim either of those statements is absolute but speaking in general terms I've found that to be the case on the dozens of warlock builds I've tested. It's a really crazy class with how many possibilities there are.

satan

Post by satan » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:29 pm

Best part is its a legit class for dips now
Xyxz - Goblin spider druid. RIP
Flail - Orog weapon master RIP
Krom - Half orc Barbarian RIP
Glyngolyn - Firbolg Shadowdancer RIP
Jigjog - the least industrious Kobold ACTIVE
Muck - munching on carion. ACTIVE

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aren » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:44 am

Eyeliner wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:51 pm
Mm, I think you need to stick with one pact (or at least not go epic in two) if you want to max out your blast damage or take a few blast feats & have a tier 6 summon. Taking Epic Eldrich Mastery for example eats up like five feats and then if you want Agonizing Blast too I don't think you can even fit Dark Blessing, I don't see how you could do that on anything put a single pact warlock.

A single pact warlock is probably stronger offensively in most cases than a two pact but two pact has a lot more toys to play with. There are so many variables I'm not going to claim either of those statements is absolute but speaking in general terms I've found that to be the case on the dozens of warlock builds I've tested. It's a really crazy class with how many possibilities there are.
Eldritch Mastery is 3 feats.

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

Deswe

Post by Deswe » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:22 am

Aren wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:44 am
Eyeliner wrote:

Greater Mastery requires Eldritch Mastery and a Shape Blast as prerequisites and Epic Mastery requires Greater Mastery and a Greater Shape as perequisites. -> 5 Feats to get Epic Mastery.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:06 am

Side question: What kind of "alternative" builds are possible with the new lock?

A high charisma spellcaster obviously makes sense, but I noticed that the hag pact gives bonuses to skills you'd normally associate with a rogueish character. Plus there's the synergy with hexblade abilities.

Are super high dexterity builds possible? I'd imagine you could get pretty decent AC with tumble access and you could probably buff it higher with spells, plus you have the summons to make you tankier. I'm also wondering about the viability of a warlock that just fights with a weapon and does a lot of damage that way.

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aren » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:03 am

Deswe wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:22 am
Aren wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:44 am
Eyeliner wrote:

Greater Mastery requires Eldritch Mastery and a Shape Blast as prerequisites and Epic Mastery requires Greater Mastery and a Greater Shape as perequisites. -> 5 Feats to get Epic Mastery.
My bad. Forgot you had to have blast shapes.

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry