Greatswords - the worse 2 handed weapon

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

malcolm_mountainslayer

Greatswords - the worse 2 handed weapon

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:47 pm

If orog greatsword is the justification then lets nerf/rip/change it (maybe a new orog only exotic weapon for all i care but greatsword shouldn't be an Orog only thing; every other race ubqoue weapon can be UMDed etc).

Now with orog greatswords out of the way;

Greataxe shares same feats but does more minimum damage and better burst drit for pvp if 2 hand barb with no exotic feat.

Polearms route can spear and shield and 2 hand with halberd and halberds are superior to greatsword with same damage more damage types (19-20 x2 isnt better than 20 x3)

If you go for a the flexible sword and board + 2hand bastard sword route, the exotic nets you falchion which makes the greatsword really pointless and If you needed to save exotic feat you just go polearms instead. Or you know... Wield a greataxe. Greatsword is in a bad spot unless Orog and there is no UMD option like all the other suboptimal weapon groups with racial uniques.

The only deity to have greatsword as a favoured weapon is a HUMAN deity.

a shrouded figure

Re: Greatswords - the worse 2 handed weapon

Post by a shrouded figure » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:28 am

Orog GS is like… 30 UMD? Maybe 20? It’s hilariously low. But I would like to see a new fancy crafted greatsword and great axe

Haroshia
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Haroshia » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:30 am

Red Dusk exists and is a lootable +3 Enhancement GS with 1d12 Negative damage that takes a greater rune (I think). That's pretty damn good.
Tove Auburnridge

Red_Wharf

Post by Red_Wharf » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:46 am

While a certain maul craft-able and falchions exist, there are no reasons to use greataxes or greatswords outside of aesthetics.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:11 am

Haroshia wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:30 am
Red Dusk exists and is a lootable +3 Enhancement GS with 1d12 Negative damage that takes a greater rune (I think). That's pretty damn good.
neat, never seen it. Though that not sure how well that holds against mdmask keened plus essence, As avg damage fo 1d12 is 6.5 and dmask gives bonus 6 physical before we even slap an essence on.

Haroshia
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Haroshia » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:28 am

malcolm_mountainslayer wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:11 am
Haroshia wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:30 am
neat, never seen it. Though that not sure how well that holds against mdmask keened plus essence, As avg damage fo 1d12 is 6.5 and dmask gives bonus 6 physical before we even slap an essence on.
It's comperable but the fact that you can rune it easier to get an mdamask keen equivalent is nice.
Tove Auburnridge

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:42 am

yeah, that is definitely not the slightest bit worth going greatsword.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:59 am

Orog Greatsword
Special: Can only be wielded by an Orog
The racial restriction cannot be bypassed with UMD

I've never understood this decision. Give it a modest UMD requirement, like literally every other weapon in the game. Problem solved.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:09 am

The ubiquitous wielding of falchions for every two-handed character with sole exception to orog and the occasional scythe WM says it all really.

Kinda reminds me of the year of the quarterstaff.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

a shrouded figure

Post by a shrouded figure » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:22 am

RedGiant wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:59 am
Orog Greatsword

I've never understood this decision. Give it a modest UMD requirement, like literally every other weapon in the game. Problem solved.
It can be bypassed with UMD- lol. Like I said, it’s not even very high

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:03 am

If you want to use a greatsword, you accept the less-than-optimal choice to use it. Very similar to using a halbard or greataxe. It just isn't a falchion - and that's fine.

That is of course if we exclude the orog greatsword which is most likely one of the best weapons in the game.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:16 am

The good thing is that now you choose a weapon group so you can carry around different weapons and use a greatsword for pomp and circumstance and keep an axe/falchion ready for the boss fights.

Watchful Glare

Post by Watchful Glare » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:14 pm

Skibbles wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:09 am
The ubiquitous wielding of falchions for every two-handed character with sole exception to orog and the occasional scythe WM says it all really.

Kinda reminds me of the year of the quarterstaff.
These are my thoughts on the matter in a nutshell.
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:26 pm

Ork wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:03 am
If you want to use a greatsword, you accept the less-than-optimal choice to use it. Very similar to using a halbard or greataxe. It just isn't a falchion - and that's fine.

That is of course if we exclude the orog greatsword which is most likely one of the best weapons in the game.
Except in halberd scenario you save an exotic feat AND halberd is better thrn greatsword. If you want sword and board option with greatsword you have to take exotic which pushes you to falchion

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:27 pm

a shrouded figure wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:22 am
RedGiant wrote:
Orog Greatsword

When lack of info creates false opinions, hurrah!

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:52 am

Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:26 pm
Ork wrote:

Except in halberd scenario you save an exotic feat AND halberd is better thrn greatsword. If you want sword and board option with greatsword you have to take exotic which pushes you to falchion
What? Why are you taking exotic for greatsword?

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:50 am

Ork wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:52 am
Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:26 pm
Ork wrote:

What? Why are you taking exotic for greatsword?
if you want to use 2 handed feats on a single handed weapon (bastard sword) you need exotic proficiency. Polearms does not suffer this restriction and offer a better non exotic 2 handed weapon.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:42 am

I don't think that should matter. You're either committing to 2h or you're not. If this is PvE, you can simply equip any other weapon for -1 / -3 AB for WF and EWF respectively.

Cybren

Post by Cybren » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:27 am

Ork wrote:

Is this… is this a good thing?

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:28 pm

Ork wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:42 am
I don't think that should matter. You're either committing to 2h or you're not. If this is PvE, you can simply equip any other weapon for -1 / -3 AB for WF and EWF respectively.
I mean sure, you can water down the relevance, but it still objectively the worse (Orogs aside).

Halberd having pretty much same damage AND more than one damage type is simply better. In addition to better use of weapon foci/ weapon spec feats. Greatsword is objectively worse than the halberd in 2 different categories. It's the worse of all martial 2 handers (and all 2 handers in general but obviously exotic will be better).

And losimg 3 ab and potentially 6 damage (EWS) when switching to tank roll isn't some negligible difference when you sacking ab with expertise. When you already gimped yourself into only one damage type compared to the halberd.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:55 pm

Is it a good thing? No. I think it's a neutral thing. Not every weapon choice is equal just like how every spell, skill, or class is equal. It is just the way it is. Choosing the greatsword is a thematic choice, and I think I'm 100% fine with it staying that way.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:39 pm

So the root and conclusion of your argument "its good enough, not worth bothering about". Which is a fair opinion, and ultimately any argument i make means nothing if a dev isnt inspired/caring about it.

As for the actual RP choice argument, which I think hastedly made:

Ibeing a small race barb is rp choice too but QoL is still nice to shorten the gap. RP wise greatsword damage die makes no sense, doing less damage than a double axe. To be honest a lot of 2 handed weapons imo could use a little face lift. Halberd is in a good spot even if it were only 1d10 being poleaem group and 2 damage types. Boosted to 1d12 and it is not hurting anyone. The same would be for greatsword if it received a little boost, everyone would still use falchion/scythe. Currently one end of a double weapon has a bigger damage die. If we were talking about rp choices, thats kind of odd rp wise.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:44 pm

a shrouded figure wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:22 am
RedGiant wrote:
Orog Greatsword

Hey? was this one test or live server? I've heard some racial only umd stuff doesnt quite apply on test server for some reason (also hear that codes should be the same so *shrugs*)

mjones3

Post by mjones3 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:01 am

The Great club is easilyy the worst 2 handed weapon. So terrible that no one tends to remember the fact that it exists.

Sitting at 1d10x2 it's outdone by more than a few one handed weapons. Loot wise it's non existent and can only be crafted as far as I'm aware.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:56 am

And with the latest update, this thread is solved.

Thanks Staff!
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.