Places Where Sun Shouldn't Shine Megathread

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Places Where Sun Shouldn't Shine Megathread

Post by Skibbles » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:34 pm

Kalopsia wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:18 pm
Regions that erroneously apply sunlight penalties should be listed in a dedicated thread including the full area names of all affected areas. That way our area developers can fix them more easily.
Now that drow officially feel the sting of the sun we're going to be quickly finding a few areas that don't look like the sun shines, but mechanically the sun very much does.

I'll start with two locations off the top of my head:

- Dis Arena (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=32744&p=275037&hil ... re#p275037)

- Red Dragon Island (Untested for a few months but it nearly killed my vampire friend who is totally not me and is a friend, who is not me. I'll double check when I can but this area doesn't seem to have been updated in years so... It's probably still there. If drow-eye-update is already live someone can confirm quickly enough.)
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Eyeliner

Re: Places Where Sun Shouldn't Shine Megathread

Post by Eyeliner » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:43 pm

The Troglodyte dungeon in the Flood Plains fried my derro, I don't know if daylight there is intentional or not.

May I ask, is it true that with the time system change it's always day or night at the same time every RL day? If so this has a pretty negative effect if you like, can only play in the same regular time after work or something.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:51 pm

Eyeliner wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:43 pm
is it true that with the time system change it's always day or night at the same time every RL day? If so this has a pretty negative effect if you like, can only play in the same regular time after work or something.
I'm finding that this feels to be the case. It's generally the same game hour when I wake up and log in or get off work (right at dawn - sigh), which has been pretty unfortunate for sun-averse chars on limited playtime. This might not be the right thread for a full back on forth on it, though.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:08 pm

I'll make a sep. thread to discuss but want to confirm it's actually the case first so I'm not complaining about nothing. Ideally if someone plays at the same time in RL every day-- which I would think is pretty common, most of us have lives outside the game and jobs etc-- it will sometimes be day, sometimes be night IG. From what I've seen and been told that is not the case now, if you play at 5pm every day it will always be the same time IG-- correct?

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:12 pm

As a reminder to everyone posting here, please include the FULL names of affected areas. That saves our area developers a lot of work! :)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:47 pm

Just hopping on to say that this is my favorite name for a thread ever. Or at least for a long time.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:28 am

Eyeliner wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:08 pm
I'll make a sep. thread to discuss but want to confirm it's actually the case first so I'm not complaining about nothing. Ideally if someone plays at the same time in RL every day-- which I would think is pretty common, most of us have lives outside the game and jobs etc-- it will sometimes be day, sometimes be night IG. From what I've seen and been told that is not the case now, if you play at 5pm every day it will always be the same time IG-- correct?
It is correct, thanks to 8 hour RL = 1 IG Day. There already is a thread though - viewtopic.php?f=37&t=35321 - which encompasses more things, as it's not just Drow which get hit, but also some surface writs

Currently playing: Sabina Paultier

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:03 am

Skibbles wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:34 pm
- Red Dragon Island (Untested for a few months but it nearly killed my vampire friend who is totally not me and is a friend, who is not me. I'll double check when I can but this area doesn't seem to have been updated in years so... It's probably still there. If drow-eye-update is already live someone can confirm quickly enough.)
Most of the RDI locations (at least, the landing areas,) iirc, aren't actually indoors/a cave - that's just the tileset that was used, but are instead the slopes of a semi-active volcano or something like that. That's what I've always heard said about them, anyways. A few of them (like the Grotto and Abazuur's sanctuary,) very much are obviously subterranean.
what would fred rogers do?

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:52 am

Flower Power wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:03 am
Skibbles wrote:
Most of the RDI locations (at least, the landing areas,) iirc, aren't actually indoors/a cave - that's just the tileset that was used, but are instead the slopes of a semi-active volcano or something like that. That's what I've always heard said about them, anyways. A few of them (like the Grotto and Abazuur's sanctuary,) very much are obviously subterranean.
If this is the case and vision, would be great if there was a flavour test popping up at some point, so that it is more obvious. But that's another thread on itself.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:03 pm

Flower Power wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:03 am
Skibbles wrote:
That's how I've generally roleplayed it as a sun-averse for a while, but UDers have been going there all hours of the day for years without being punished by DMs as far as I know.

It'll probably take a final judgement, by staff, on the area to figure it out but I still think it's worth pointing out as it is a big spot for characters server wide.

Wenchslayer

Post by Wenchslayer » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:23 pm

The Forest of Despair was widely acknowledged by the playerbase to have a very thick forest canopy, preventing most light from reaching the ground. (Similar to Mirkwood as per The Hobbit, which I suspect was some inspiration for your classic european dark forest.)

All the Forest of Despair zones currently count as sunlit. If this is intentional that's fine. Does remove some freedom from characters to travel there.
Characters:

Eruantian Chil Rylinn Aelorothi -- Rolled

Kreeq Blaktoof, -- Rolled

Jhaamdath Xunviir -- Active

Wenchslayer

Post by Wenchslayer » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:34 pm

I"m not sure how the coding would work, but it was common practice for light sensitive pirates to board enemy ships during daylight (Acting under the assumption the darkcloud from their own ships would extend to the other vessel.)

If this can be coded in, where a dark ship grapples another (Companion, Dreadnaught) and therefore provides the protection required to take it, that would be nice. The alternative would be allowing the 'Darkness spell' to temporarily remove the effects of a sunlight exposure.

The point I suppose is to permit these races to for a very short period of time, to be exposed to direct light without what appear to be absolutely crippling penalties.

Restricting our sailing to nighttime is a fairly brutal penalty considering that we are far less likely to spot ships (Underdark races get no benefits to spotting at night) and will recieve less then what appears to be anecdotally, 1/2 of the encounters we get during the daytime.. I

f nothing is to be done about absolutely crippling drow pirates, perhaps at least giving our sailors bonus to spot in the dark would somewhat mitigate what may be a concept destroying change.
Characters:

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:42 pm

Wenchslayer wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:23 pm
The Forest of Despair was widely acknowledged by the playerbase to have a very thick forest canopy, preventing most light from reaching the ground. (Similar to Mirkwood as per The Hobbit, which I suspect was some inspiration for your classic european dark forest.)

All the Forest of Despair zones currently count as sunlit. If this is intentional that's fine. Does remove some freedom from characters to travel there.
FOD has a daytime and night cycle, which is very obvious. Daytime you see sunbeams cutting through the canopy
Yes I can sign

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:10 pm

Wenchslayer wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:34 pm
The alternative would be allowing the 'Darkness spell' to temporarily remove the effects of a sunlight exposure.
The darkness spell already shields characters from the sun, so existing penalties will disappear soon after entering the AoE of such a spell.

Wenchslayer

Post by Wenchslayer » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:17 am

Doesn't appear to be working when I use darkcloud to stop the debuff.

Will note that so far, Cordorian Ships and Pirate ships both give a light sensitive debuff, even when boarded by a ship using a dark cloud (Dreadnaught, or Companion.)

Edit: The Dreadnaught is now casting a dark cloud globally on other ships when boarded. A nice change. Still need to test if it has any kinks in it.

While I can dark cloud and that will end the debuff sometimes, if I cast Ultravision on myself, the character is debuffed once more. So effectively I'm blind in my own dark cloud at best.
Last edited by Wenchslayer on Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Characters:

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:24 am

I think I know why darkness isn't working as expected. Adding this to my list of things to look into :)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:17 pm

I will say, I for one have never been sure if Dragon Isle was outdoors or not. I've always kinda leaned on not - it's always seemed really dark. I don't think any DM has really enforced sunlight stuff there for that reason - no one could really tell. I'm happy to presume myself that, if it isn't night time, then the constant smoke from the volcano probably blots out enough light it may as well be.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Curve

Post by Curve » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:23 pm

I always assumed RDI was a cave type situation. If it means that UDers get to make use of it more easily then why not make it so.

The_Queen~s_Rebuke

Post by The_Queen~s_Rebuke » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:24 am

"The Boreal Keep (The Werth)" is sunlit. Rip.
hållö hållö wəlcöme to mý cæv

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:10 pm

Boreal Keep and Dis Arena should be fixed as of the next reset.

Margrave

Post by Margrave » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:34 pm

Underdark (Upper) Flood Plains (Troglodyte Stronghold)

This area apparently counts as surface.

toftdal

Post by toftdal » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:28 pm

Margrave wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:34 pm

Gentle bump on this

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:06 pm

toftdal wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:28 pm
Margrave wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:34 pm

Gentle bump on this
Fixed for next reset.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.