Drow Sunlight Sensitivity

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Drow Sunlight Sensitivity

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:18 pm

We don't want Drow out in the sunlight.

We don't want it with the current maluses.
We don't want it with lesser maluses.
We don't want it with no maluses.
We don't want it with more maluses.
We just don't want them hanging about in sunlilght.

What exactities of lore aside- playing Drow has it's downsides, and this is one of them. Whether you're suffering from these or not, you shouldn't be hanging about in sunlight if you can help it. The current mechanics remind you of this, and lessen our workload in having to keep an eye out for it - but if we see it happening we'll still give players a talking to.

The level of the negatives here doesn't hugely matter honestly, because the end statement is ultimatly the same.

if you are a drow.
And you are out in sunlight?
Don't.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:35 pm

Huzzah!

Skane

Post by Skane » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:11 am

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:18 pm

What exactities of lore aside- playing Drow has it's downsides, and this is one of them. Whether you're suffering from these or not, you shouldn't be hanging about in sunlight if you can help it. The current mechanics remind you of this, and lessen our workload in having to keep an eye out for it - but if we see it happening we'll still give players a talking to.

The level of the negatives here doesn't hugely matter honestly, because the end statement is ultimatly the same.

if you are a drow.
Don't.
If the goal is to lessen the work-load in keeping an eye out, wouldn't it be easiest to simply have a script that just doesn't allow Drow to area transition into areas with Daylight? I'm not a coder so I don't know how difficult that would be to implement; but there's also the old kill-scripts that could serve a similar purpose.
Gods can we just remove magic already?

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:04 am

Skane wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:11 am
The GrumpyCat wrote:

if you are a drow.
Don't.
If the goal is to lessen the work-load in keeping an eye out, wouldn't it be easiest to simply have a script that just doesn't allow Drow to area transition into areas with Daylight? I'm not a coder so I don't know how difficult that would be to implement; but there's also the old kill-scripts that could serve a similar purpose.
its not always daytime, so that transition block like an exile script wouldnt work due to it keeping drow from being able to raid at night
Yes I can sign

Skane

Post by Skane » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:31 am

Ebonstar wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:04 am
Skane wrote:
The GrumpyCat wrote:

if you are a drow.
Don't.
its not always daytime, so that transition block like an exile script wouldnt work due to it keeping drow from being able to raid at night
You could have it only be active during the hours that are day
Gods can we just remove magic already?

Nekonecro

Post by Nekonecro » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:24 am

That's just making more work for a similar effect (potentially worse as it could leave Drow players trapped) from the current system.

Bottom line is still:
If you're Drow, don't be in sunlight.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:32 am

NICE

Karris the Anarchist
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Karris the Anarchist » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:38 am

Great change, really!

Out of curiosity - how does this affect daytime on the planes?

I would like to think that planes without a sun (Dis, Abyss, elemental planes - well, any plane really) should have this turned off but I know there's been some issues with vampires dying of nonexistant planar sunlight before due to scripting.
That which doesn't kill you, simply makes you... stranger.

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:13 am

Karris the Anarchist wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:38 am
Great change, really!

Out of curiosity - how does this affect daytime on the planes?

I would like to think that planes without a sun (Dis, Abyss, elemental planes - well, any plane really) should have this turned off but I know there's been some issues with vampires dying of nonexistant planar sunlight before due to scripting.
There is the "Places where sun shouldn shine" thread a little bit lower specifically for that. If a plane has a sun, should be reported.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:54 pm

A thread has run its course when TheGrumpyOne has to do a poetry slam.

Just saying.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Red_Wharf

Post by Red_Wharf » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:31 pm

Skane wrote:
I assume the DM Team wouldn't mind a Drow crossing sunlit areas very quickly if their goal is to reach, let's say, a nearby cave (think on a desperate Drow running through Minmir from the Ogre Cave exit towards the Ogre Cave entrance in order to go back home because there's legit no other way back without a portal). I seriously doubt that small and quick things like this would earn you the ire of the DM Team. I can think of other reasons as well (like a group of Elves tying a Drow to a rock in the middle of a field at noon as a form of torture) that would be made impossible with a script that kicks Drow back to the Underdark during daytime.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:47 pm

Red_Wharf wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:31 pm
Skane wrote:
I assume the DM Team wouldn't mind a Drow crossing sunlit areas very quickly if their goal is to reach, let's say, a nearby cave (think on a desperate Drow running through Minmir from the Ogre Cave exit towards the Ogre Cave entrance in order to go back home because there's legit no other way back without a portal). I seriously doubt that small and quick things like this would earn you the ire of the DM Team. I can think of other reasons as well (like a group of Elves tying a Drow to a rock in the middle of a field at noon as a form of torture) that would be made impossible with a script that kicks Drow back to the Underdark during daytime.
Having been really strict in my prior post, I'll probably undermine it all now and say Yeah, this is fine. We get that sometimes timing can be off, or that crashes happen, or such like. Hence why it's not some sort of wierd auto-kill script or bump script or whatever.

The occasional dash to shelter, or forced situations like in the one you describe are likely OK - at least done in small amounts.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)