Fishing Feedback

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: Fishing Feedback

Post by Sincra » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:45 pm

Dari wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:14 pm
Would be cool to see a fishing skill, or atleast make it part of sailing :D
If anything it should be akin to darts, a levelling system out side the character sheet.
Skill tax is real and sailing is for sailing!
Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:57 pm

Sincra wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:45 pm
Dari wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:14 pm
Would be cool to see a fishing skill, or atleast make it part of sailing :D
If anything it should be akin to darts, a levelling system out side the character sheet.
Skill tax is real and sailing is for sailing!
Would love to see this. It would be great to see this either 1.) Provide information about what you can catch at a particular fishing hole upon investigation or 2.) Increase the quality of catches (ie you don't catch a minnow using large bait)

The figuring out what you can catch at a spot would be huge. I've been running all over the island and the system is cursed with a wealth of variety. It makes it really fun because you suddenly catch something new and realize that fish X actually drops essential ingredient Y. But it is also very frustrating because of the load of ingredients that is required to make a high end meal/potion and the infrequency of drops. Being able to click on a hole and see that there are sturgeon there or flying perch would be huge in that regard.

Overall, the ingredient lists for potions/meals need revised just a bit. None of these are gamebreaking items in terms of power. In fact, most of it is an RP tool or a potion that facilitates access of new areas for players. Decreasing required ingredients or increasing output would be appreciated.

Definately Not A Mimic

Post by Definately Not A Mimic » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:20 pm

Not sure if things are still being worked on here but just in case I thought I'd nudge it..

Kelp is still one of the harder things to find and several recipes need it. I could be the only one in the struggle here though but I've not seen any of the higher tier meals in any shop or even spoken of. I don't mind the nesting doll recipes in the slightest, I'm actually one of the odd ones who think they're fun actually, but could we either need less kelp to make jelly Or more jelly produced Or less jelly needed per recipe Or a higher rate to find kelp? Some small bump to be able to get things moving a bit?

And since I decided to post I'll add this bit also. Would it be possible that either fish caught can go in the hunting bag Or the bits after gutting, tenticles and crab legs and sharks teeth and fins etc, get a bag of their own? I've heard it said people don't want more bags added but I've half an inventory page of random fish bits that I'm not sure are safe to discard since I have no idea if any more recipes are going to be added. (hoping they are because I love herbalism and having more things to make with it would be fun)

Thanks for reading

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:02 pm

There is a way to get around kelp requirements by catching a specific fish that drops jelly. More than that is FOIG. The thing I can't find right now is mackerel.

But stuff like that makes the system fun but also really challenging. A way to gain knowledge of fish drops in areas by gaining experience, like the dart leveling system would enable this a bit. Right now, you can get it IC by asking around, but the wonder of the system has faded a bit so finding characters in game is a bit challenging.

Definately Not A Mimic

Post by Definately Not A Mimic » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:39 pm

Oh I'm totally enjoying the system and excited each and every time I find something new, 21 cropped shots of different fish models so far (yes I'm a dork and torment my friends with each new find). Good to know there is more out there to help with the issue I'm having and will definitely keep looking for more!

DM Starfish
Art Director
Art Director

Post by DM Starfish » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:01 pm

I just saw this thread. I must be blind. It's been going on for awhile too. I'll take some time to address the feedback here and begin adding some of it to the system.
Roleplay is a two way street.

Red_Wharf

Post by Red_Wharf » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:10 pm

The Deep Wells has a few water bodies but no fishing spots. It could be an interesting place to fish, imagine what you'd find in there.

DM Starfish
Art Director
Art Director

Post by DM Starfish » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:21 pm

A lot of the initial feedback has already been covered.

- Food items are just food for now, some provide water. Will look at adding beneficial effects to these in the future.
- Lucky fishing will be fixed and junk loot is already fixed I think, will double check when I fix lucky.
- Baits are tiered and you can only catch roughly the size of fish that your bait matches. Small bait including worms and bugs are meant to be readily accessibly because it enables catching of the smaller fish which in turn provide ingredients for the larger baits. (Yes it's a grind but there needs to be some sort of progression)
- Bug jar is fixed. Salmon is fixed. Squid is fixed. Kelp is now an undersea resource.
- No, we are not letting you put carrion crawlers into the jar. Or release spiders from it. Or throw it. Could be an interesting idea for a grenade in the future though.
- Fish dropping small rations is not good. I'll double check my code for that.
- Fishing spots will be added when someone with access to the module gets around to it. Same for vendor NPCs.
- No plans for a hidden fishing skill yet. Will think about it though.

Hopefully I covered everything. Now that I'm aware of this thread I'll keep an eye on it!

Void

Post by Void » Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:06 am

DM Starfish wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:21 pm
- No, we are not letting you put carrion crawlers into the jar. Or release spiders from it. Or throw it. Could be an interesting idea for a grenade in the future though.
How about wielding fish as a weapon?

I mean, there's already small, medium-sized and large....
Another forum ban, here we go again.

DM Starfish
Art Director
Art Director

Post by DM Starfish » Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:34 am

Void wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:06 am
DM Starfish wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:21 pm
How about wielding fish as a weapon?

I mean, there's already small, medium-sized and large....
Fish clubs were removed and replaced with the beating stick for a reason. As cool/funny as it might be, fish are too much of a meme to be weaponised in such a way.

Definately Not A Mimic

Post by Definately Not A Mimic » Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:03 pm

Storage is the only other thing I can think of that wasn't mentioned, Starfish. If it would be possible to toggle all the different fish to go into the hunting bag or pretty please consider a bag for all the various bits you get after gutting. There are quite a few. It is only a QoL thing though. And thank you for looking into the feedback here. The system is super fun.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:38 pm

Inventory is what keeps me from playing with the system more. I love fishing but I don't have any herbalists currently to work with, and it's hard to carry all of the stuff if I don't have an intended place for it.

DM Starfish
Art Director
Art Director

Post by DM Starfish » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:54 am

Alright. What I'll implement is a fishing bag for the fish themselves and then work on adding the components from the fish to the hunting bag. I also want to add the option to sell your whole fish to certain NPCs for a flat gold value, however it should be noted that you can cut your fish up and sell the meat to the faction resource NPCs.

Definately Not A Mimic

Post by Definately Not A Mimic » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:09 am

That would be completely amazing and I think any using the system will be grateful!

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:58 pm

I made a commoner, asked friend to make him a pole and happily going fishing...but wait, I cannot find the egg to make baits, nor do I know where to buy shovel! Pls make shovel available in settlement NPC merchant.
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

DM Starfish
Art Director
Art Director

Post by DM Starfish » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:34 pm

xf1313 wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:58 pm
I made a commoner, asked friend to make him a pole and happily going fishing...but wait, I cannot find the egg to make baits, nor do I know where to buy shovel! Pls make shovel available in settlement NPC merchant.
You can easily get started with a simple bug jar. No need for a shovel. I cannot edit shops so you'll have to check random boxes and barrels and look for a vendor that does sell a shovel if you really want one.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:16 pm

I have been wanting to try the Potion recipes that require fish parts but am having a time trying to locate a fisherman IG. Are fish parts sold by an NPC or are they able to be sold to an NPC merchant by players that I can later scoop up in travels.

Rather then do the fishing myself I am trying to figure a supply and demand system IG to accommodate crafters and fishers other then walking around yelling for fish parts.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:26 pm

You need to find a fisher. Once there's a bag to put things in I'm going to start fishing again, I need a herbalist to give things to and tell me what they need.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:55 pm

Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:26 pm
You need to find a fisher. Once there's a bag to put things in I'm going to start fishing again, I need a herbalist to give things to and tell me what they need.
Ah so the issue currently is storage of gutted fish parts then?

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:18 pm

Edens_Fall wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:55 pm
Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:26 pm
Ah so the issue currently is storage of gutted fish parts then?
inre: the potions, the parts are fairly hard to find actually. I doubt anyone is fishing them out and not taking the herbalism levels to use them, so finding a supplier might be hard.

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:42 pm

DM Starfish wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:34 pm
xf1313 wrote:
You can easily get started with a simple bug jar. No need for a shovel. I cannot edit shops so you'll have to check random boxes and barrels and look for a vendor that does sell a shovel if you really want one.
Hi, thanks for reply, do I just use bug jar on random locations to capture bugs? I do get confused
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

DM Starfish
Art Director
Art Director

Post by DM Starfish » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:33 am

xf1313 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:42 pm
DM Starfish wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:34 pm
xf1313 wrote:
Hi, thanks for reply, do I just use bug jar on random locations to capture bugs? I do get confused
Examine the bug jar itself for instructions on how to use it.

Definately Not A Mimic

Post by Definately Not A Mimic » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:43 pm

I'm doing an herbalist that has been fishing for ingrediants and making potions and foods. TBH it would all depend on what bits were offered and/or how much they were sold for if I would buy since I personally try to keep the shop prices low. Some fishy bits are harder to find than others and would sell better but the issue there is the more you pay for the parts the higher you have to price what you're making.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:04 pm

I was afraid of that. My gut was telling me the parts would end up being hard to find and thus making the effort more akin to crafting heal pots then anything. I doubt anyone would spend 2k on a Potion to reduce fall damage or to breath underwater. Not when bards and spell casters can do it cheaper.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:59 am

It would be nice if fish and fish byproducts sold for something. Right now orange roe is only used for one recipe, and sardines are used in a very complex recipe. It'd be nice if I could sell these things to vendors for some cash.