Fishing Feedback

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Nitro

Re: Fishing Feedback

Post by Nitro » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:54 am

Quick feedback on the new food items, they don't show what they do in the preview, so the only way to figure it out right now is to make a dish and try it at random.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:28 pm

Found another bug, fishing up a ring doesn't add anything to your inventory.
EDIT: The same for copper necklace.
Last edited by Nitro on Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:41 pm

Cheeky triplepost, the lucky event seems to not work unless it happens on the fishing check that consumes your bait.

Definately Not A Mimic

Post by Definately Not A Mimic » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:38 pm

I'm sure the mechanics are probably easy though some of us, me *cough*, struggle with even learning the simplest thing. I see the post about searching discovered eggs. I would love to know how. And are the bugs dug up like worms or is that something totally different? These are probably all simple and also supposed to be discovered and learned in the game, but if not could someone nudge me and walk my simpleton brain through it?

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:34 pm

I've already have to show this description to three different folk asking "how the heck you get bugs". Do people just not read, or is it a confusing sentence? I'm only ESL, but it didn't cause any confusion to me (but maybe that's exactly why?)

Currently playing: Sabina Paultier

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:32 am

Okay, more actual feedback, now that I got my own rod and had some time.

* Not a single fishing spot (that I could find) in Minmir. Not Lake Minmir West or East. Not Bridge. Not Nexus Falls. Not even Minmir Coast for some undead fish :P Just felt odd.

* Redfin Salmon not giving any Salmon Fillet when gutted. Considering salmon is needed for platters, bit odd, but oh well, maybe I need to catch bigger salmon?

* XP gained over XP cap when fishing. I started out fishing at 465001 or smth like that. After a trip, I'm now 465581 xp. Level 40 when?

* At one point, bug jar used up whole stack per hooking up bait. Couldn't replicate though

* Lucky catches doing nothing, message saying I needed bait. Especially saddening when once I got three lucky rolls on single catch.

* Fishing while in boat is very intensive on actions. Open inventory (autocloses when opening ship dialogue) -> Get a bait on rod -> "-ship" (or hotkey it) -> press 3 (fishing). Wish there was either way to automatically put bait on rod once one is used, or fishing be turned into chat command while on boat. (-fish)

* Kelp mentions cooking it into Jelly, but missing recipe to do so (still to get in?). Is an ingredient for Sardine Skewers.
*** That also blocks getting absolutely any seafood platter at the moment
*** Also, I might have been fishing in wrong spot for it (was out in Arelith's quad on boat), but I got only single kelp out of ~90 catches, meanwhile getting 53 sardines. Considering 6 jelly are needed for three skewers, are rates all alright?

* Not something feedbackable yet, but the platters sound like a lot of headache to make. Hopefully they give huge benefits, but if not, it's 4 tiers collecting a whole variety of different dishes, for possibly minor, possibly single-use goodness. I really hope that's not the case, or that recipes become easier if it is the case. The current FULL requirements for Lavish Seafood Platter from scratch is:

9 Salt
4 Crab Leg
2 Water
7 Mackerel Chunk
4 Mintspear Leaf
12 Jelly (how do you make this? missing recipe?)
6 Gutted Sardine
2 Gutted Eel
7 Fruit
1 Cod Liver
5 Orange Roe
2 Jellied Eel (how do you make this? missing recipe?)
5 Dark Roe
2 Salmon Fillet
1 Wine
1 Speckled Egg
1 Shark Fin

Total CP cost: 90 (possibly more due to some missing parts)

EDIT: Berley on ship doesn't seem to work, or I'm using it wrong. Doesn't seem to be any faster to fish (getting ~22s per catch) with or without one tossed around Never mind, it does work (got back to 30s per catch), but there's no feedback when it stops working

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:06 pm

Idea for the bug jar: Can things like carrion crawlers be put in it, and then if the jar is targeted on the ground, it'll release them?

Can spiders be put into the jar, and there's an option to release a bunch of tiny spiders or have a spider bomb?

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:44 pm

Hello
2 Jellied Eel (how do you make this? missing recipe?)
As above, this is missing due to a bug with the system. Hopefully it'll get fixed eventually.

I wasn't given any recipes to input for Jelly. I'll leave starfish to answer that.

90cp seems reasonable for what is the very best of the very best of the very best food. And there may be some mechanical effects with it too eventually (though I don't think they've been put in yet).

I'm open to a bit of tweaking, but I don't see the cp for this being lowered significantly any time soon. Other CP recipes for fishing are suprisingly low after all.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:44 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:44 pm
90cp seems reasonable for what is the very best of the very best of the very best food. And there may be some mechanical effects with it too eventually (though I don't think they've been put in yet).
The CP itself is fine (this was aggregate, after all, platter itself is only 25), it's the effort and just how much stuff you have to make in between. It takes what, 8-9 crafts to get to Lavish platter? Some folk were likening that to paintings change that was at one point when chatting about it. As I say, need to actually see how it ends up being though before actually deciding whether it's worth it or not, so dont want to be too judgmental before that.

Also, I am logging my catches (except for very first fishing trip) and what they give once gutted. If PM'd, could give link to see if all seems right as expected.

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:26 pm

A bit more anecdotal feedback, specifically on Fish Guts. Been to four spots now, two sea, two inland, each with great distance apart to one another.

* For starting fisher who's just with worms and bugs, it's almost impossible to get any decent amount of fish guts if fishing inland. Even in the sea it's not that much better, although it's helped a bit by bigger variety in what's available of medium fishes.

* The three oldmodel fishes (Fish, Scarfinned Flatfish, Lunker) are very unsatisfying to catch
******Thanks to Lunkers, Huge Bait is pretty much guaranteed to lose you fish guts while also not giving you anything special, especially inland fishing.
******Fish, even though it's medium size, guts into nothing but single medium meat
******Scarfinned Flatfish, meanwhile is an equally losing proposition for Medium Bait, the same how Lunkers are for huge bait.

* And so, due to above stuff, fish guts -> bait -> fish guts -> bait ->.... cycle at the moment has been very shaky. During each fishing trip, I seem to gravitated to a sorta wonky balance.
First trip - > 124 small bait (only worms and bugs) in sea, mostly arelith quadrant -> 32 Fish Guts
Second trip -> 80 small (only worms and bugs), 10 large, 5 huge bait in sea, Rayne's Landing -> 47 Fish Guts
Third trip -> 40 small (only worms and bugs), 10 medium, 10 large, 5 huge, in island, between Cordor/Arcane Tower -> 51 Fish Guts (only roughly 4-5 guts from small bait, as almost no fish drops em in that range)
Fourth trip -> 40 small (only worms and bugs), 5 medium, 10 large, 10 huge in island, beyond Westcliff -> 43 Fish Guts (once again, small bait contributed almost nothing)

* Also, with half the fishes and gut results, still need to understand what's coming from them, so you're in a weird spot of "should I store this? should I trash this? will this be something I want to collect?" I currently have 20 inventory spaces holding a wide variety of things I gutted and also Blue/Green Tetras (which just burst into nothing when you attempt to do so). There's only recipes for roughly 10, and not all recipes are even finishable yet. I know, it's just the early introduction period, but still. Would be nice if there were more details preannounced, like recipe details.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:12 am

I'm catching blue tetras and it's making me wish I had a fish tank. Could we get a fish tank fixture sometime?

ZeroPointEnergy
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by ZeroPointEnergy » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:34 pm

I want to interact with this system but there's no way I'm going to farm bait. I gave up after spamming *dig* 100 times and only got a handful of worms.

It'd be nice if there was a vendor to buy bait from. I'm not sure players will supply this for a reasonable price.

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:43 pm

Get a bug jar. One action gets you 8-12 bugs

ZeroPointEnergy
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by ZeroPointEnergy » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:19 pm

ltlukoziuz wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:43 pm
Get a bug jar. One action gets you 8-12 bugs
This was actually a big deal to know about. Thanks for the elucidation!

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:26 pm

Can someone help explain how I get fish guts? I use a gutting knife on a fish, and all I get are small rations. I've not seen any fish guts.

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:21 pm

Not all fish drop fishguts. "Fish" for now is one such fish (although Starfish mentioned they will be buffing guttings from the default trio (Fish, Scarfinned Flatfish, Lunker). I hope Starfish won't be angry for sharing me this small bit of a big google doc that I have at this point (chose a nonhidden spot easily accessible to any level folk, so not really a secret) (currently have data on 29 unique fish and then some other bits, from roughly 600 catches at 9 different spots):

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:56 pm

I'm only getting small meat from "fish". And I didn't get guts from the scarfin flatfish. Hmm, I'll keep fishing. Right now it feels like I'm locked out of being able to make bait.

Is it even worth making small bait? I have 1 point in herbalism, that's the only one I can effectively make.

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:26 am

Hmm, that's odd about flatfish. Will need to check next time I'm out fishing.

As for small bait, never actually made one, but seeing the variety I can catch on bugs, I really doubt it, not to mention announcement mentioning that bugs should work as small bait.

Woper_The_Black

Post by Woper_The_Black » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:23 am

Looks like making small bait is a waste of time as already mentioned. Bugs, worms etc etc work as small bait already.

Definately Not A Mimic

Post by Definately Not A Mimic » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:14 pm

Enjoying the system a lot, I have to say, its fun to find new things and see what they'll get you.

That said, I've been traveling around a lot of places looking for new fishing areas to see if the different temperate waters will produce something I've not found yet and noticed several of the newer maps have no fishing locations. Minmir lake for example, so far, not found a single spot. I'm sure when the new area was put in, fishing wasn't on the radar for an upgrade so no spots were put in even though there is a location that fishing is mentioned.

Hoping for a few more features to be fixed, added, tweaked along with maybe a few new fishing locations added in.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:59 am

I'm still getting into this and honestly I was really tempted to get involved by the craftable potions. However, they strike me as a little strange. The materials are not super simple to gather. Further, you only get 1 potion for each craft. However, the kicker is that neither potion is really a game breaker in terms of PVP or even PVE content. Both water breathing and feather fall are fundamentally designed to make certain areas more accessible to players. I don't get the restriction to 1 potion per thing. I think, at least, it should mirror most of the other potions and offer 2, though I think there could be room for having it do 4 per recipe. Something to consider.

Woper_The_Black

Post by Woper_The_Black » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:41 am

I think the ratio of kelp compared to other drops is way off. I think I've have maybe 13 kelp drop over every area all up (and that's over 30 land areas and 15+ sea quadrants) and topping over 100 + in other drops. Considering you need 6 to make a single jelly and then 5 jelly for just 1 sardine skewer recipe.

Tabby
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Tabby » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:28 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:10 pm
*Eggs replaced with Speckled eggs
----That's actually terrible. I expected that all three egg items ("Egg", "Egg" and "Speckled Egg") to be accepted. Now, only "Speckled Egg" works, and opportunities to get em are worse. While you still an egg box which makes a few, Cordor's Merchant has two big issues as compared to merchant selling "Egg": a) Does not trade during night (can only play for couple hours in a day? Well, hope you can outsource someone to get them to you); b) The eggs he sell are not infinite (although need to check how quickly they respawn - but hey, it's night, no merchant). ((EDIT: And he spawned... with no eggs.))
And that's just for surface. Underdark meanwhile gets full shafted, because those speckled eggs are supposed to be a Cordor specialty.
So sadly we can't make interchangable 'egg' items in the crafting matrix. If you want any 'egg' to be used in a recipe, you'd literally need to make three different sorts of the recipe. And I think you'll agree with me that thats way too much.

That being said I think Starfish is looking at ways of making Speckled eggs more accessable, so watch this space.
Remember Shyre Farmstead, i believe the henhouses deliver eggs? (Im unsure) but might take a peek, when you Going through the Egg List
:)

Dormant Character: Tabitha Fuzzypaw - Shelved, searching all corners for treasures and secrets.
Misty Scrollsinger - Still searching answers, but is now elsewhere

Rolled Character: Björn Njald - sailed on new adventures

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:20 pm

Woper_The_Black wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:41 am
I think the ratio of kelp compared to other drops is way off. I think I've have maybe 13 kelp drop over every area all up (and that's over 30 land areas and 15+ sea quadrants) and topping over 100 + in other drops. Considering you need 6 to make a single jelly and then 5 jelly for just 1 sardine skewer recipe.
I just want to bump this. The kelp drop rate is insanely low and it seems to be the building block for most of the recipes thanks to its use in Jelly. For example, the simple seadfood platter requires 5 sardine skewers, so that is 2 batchs, or 12 jellies. Each jelly takes 5 kelp.

So you need 60 kelp for a simple seafood platter. Having fished for a bit, I have 10 sardines, 10 eel, 74 tentacles, and 2 kelp!!!!

Now perhaps I am just fishing at the wrong spot. Maybe there is a kelp forest somewhere on the island where you pop 1 kelp per cast, but either way, this needs adjusted.

Dari

Post by Dari » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:14 pm

Would be cool to see a fishing skill, or atleast make it part of sailing :D
Henry Crowe - Dead