Fishing Feedback

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Nitro

Fishing Feedback

Post by Nitro » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:56 am

Alright, I've experimented a bit with the fishing system enough to come up with some initial feedback. System itself works great, much nicer than the old fishing system and I look forward to seeing all the new craftables using the new fishies we can catch.

Feedback points:
  • Shovels are somewhat hard to get at the moment. Most merchants that sell them only sell one per reset and it took me quite some time to find one that wasn't so limited (and didn't go away at nightfall). Some additional shovel salesmen would be great.
  • Similarly, a bunch of merchants sell the old fishing rod and its still in the crafting list, but it doesn't interact with the system at all, should probably be removed.
  • The pond in the Cordor Outskirts is broken, gives no feedback on the fishing system (Not even if you try to fish without bait) and never gives any catch.
  • There's a ton of fishes, baits, hooks and bits, inventory clutters up real fast when you dig into being a fisherman, a fishing bag would be very much appreciated.
That's all I have of note for now, I'll add more if I find out more things of note while experimenting more with the system. Liking it so far though!

ltlukoziuz

Re: Fishing Feedback

Post by ltlukoziuz » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:40 pm

Nitro wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:56 am
  • There's a ton of fishes, baits, hooks and bits, inventory clutters up real fast when you dig into being a fisherman, a fishing bag would be very much appreciated.
Could we please not create YET ANOTHER container and instead have them all go into hunting bag? There's already serious bloat inventory space wise trying to have all the containers for different types of items.

Otherwise - stoked as herbalist to provide new stuff to others, though haven't (and probably won't be able for a while) engaged into actual fishing yet.

Currently playing: Sabina Paultier

White Haven

Post by White Haven » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:08 pm

ltlukoziuz wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:40 pm

Could we please not create YET ANOTHER container and instead have them all go into hunting bag? There's already serious bloat inventory space wise trying to have all the containers for different types of items.
This is weird because it's not more "bloat" than what would be without a 4-slot container. It's not good for it to go into a hunting bag, in my opinion, because it takes space away from the bloods, hides, spider silk and poison ingredients that many people collect. Having special containers for different activities/crafting disciplines makes sense and is very convenient.

You can always choose not to fish, as this doesn't really seem "mandatory", or store the bag in a storage unit when you're not using it.

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:17 pm

White Haven wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:08 pm
This is weird because it's not more "bloat" than what would be without a 4-slot container. It's not good for it to go into a hunting bag, in my opinion, because it takes space away from the bloods, hides, spider silk and poison ingredients that many people collect. Having special containers for different activities/crafting disciplines makes sense and is very convenient.

You can always choose not to fish, as this doesn't really seem "mandatory", or store the bag in a storage unit when you're not using it.
I would honestly put it opposite - if you want so, just get two hunting bags and use one for old stuff and another one for fishing stuff. And the reason I'm specifically asking for hunting bagging is because most of the stuff in it is already low weight - only hides/meats have actual weights or put any reasonable constraint to your bag.

Containers are great and I love them - but do we really need 10+ different types of them, especially considering that folk usually have two or more same-typed containers for stuff they use the most and/or can't find greater bags of (I'm looking at you, mining bags) already?

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:52 pm

Probably just melding them in with hunting stuff makes more sense, and I imagine is easier done?

I'm sure Starfish will really appreciate the f eedback, i'm loving it already - but just keep in mind there's a bit more stuff to come yet. This is definatly a work in progress.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Emotionaloverload » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:58 pm

The worm rate is too low. Even in a forest, 1 our of every 5 (at the absolute best) attempts with a shovel would net me one worm. On a single occasion I managed to get 10 worms in one go but that only happened once in an hour which makes it seem more like you are playing wormhunter the game (tm) than a fishermen. I would love to see worms easier to get since you need one per a fishing attempt.

Also I got Lucky twice but on the second attempt it said I had no more bait on my hook because of the fish I caught. I assume lucky is a reroll during a line cast. If it is, your reroll will only work if you didn't catch anything at the first attempt because you will have bait which seems a little odd.

Will the fish be able to be sold to settlements?

Thanks!
-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:22 pm

Emotionaloverload wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:58 pm
I would love to see worms easier to get since you need one per a fishing attempt.
The idea seems to be to reuse fish guts after using worms initially.

But I would agree on worms having more rate especially if (as far I as I was made aware) fish guts are not 100% to get (not to mention you need fish guts for other stuff like berley and other future recipes too).

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:37 pm

I just found 3 worms in a row, and on consequent digs kept finding them on what seems to be a 50% chance. The percent chance of finding them might be tied to the location you're in. Try exploring a bit and digging in other places, I will as well. I'm on the Surface server so it's not a server difference thing.
It's definitely not tied to stats, my dex and str are pretty sad.

Void

Post by Void » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:58 pm

White Haven wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:08 pm
ltlukoziuz wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:40 pm

This is weird because it's not more "bloat" than what would
Currently the server has...

Gem Pouch
Scroll Case
Mining Bag
Head Bag
Herbalist Bag
Jewelry Case
Hunting Bag
Book Bag
Spell Component Pouch
Quiver

There might be a few more that I forgot but all the "bags" take half a page, and while they do save space so you no longer need to fish for individual items through the nwn inventory system, bag interaction is a kinda slow and is slower than dealing with inventory directly or using original bags of holding. Also, they cannot be used in combat.

There are also few minor oversights, for example, headbag does not work with bag buyers, and hunting bag does not auto loot meat. YOu also cannot sell entire gem pouch at scales.

So with that in mind not wanting to have an additioanl "Fishing Bag" (and possibly Bait Bag) is understandable.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:35 pm

As long as the fishing stuff can go into *any* bag I'll be happy, the fishes alone are what, 40 unique items? And then add the baits, bugs, guts, fish parts, hooks etc and you're probably well up in 80-ish items for fishing alone.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:38 pm

ltlukoziuz wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:22 pm
Emotionaloverload wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:58 pm
I would love to see worms easier to get since you need one per a fishing attempt.
The idea seems to be to reuse fish guts after using worms initially.

But I would agree on worms having more rate especially if (as far I as I was made aware) fish guts are not 100% to get (not to mention you need fish guts for other stuff like berley and other future recipes too).
I didn't know about the fish guts bit. Thank you!
Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:37 pm
I just found 3 worms in a row, and on consequent digs kept finding them on what seems to be a 50% chance. The percent chance of finding them might be tied to the location you're in. Try exploring a bit and digging in other places, I will as well. I'm on the Surface server so it's not a server difference thing.
It's definitely not tied to stats, my dex and str are pretty sad.
I was told by the DM to go to the Forest. I tried the Bramble and Arelith Forest, it was still the same. It could be that the character is a totem druid, if stats count at all.

-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:43 pm

So, this happened.

Woper_The_Black

Post by Woper_The_Black » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:37 pm

I'm struggling regarding the eggs, can they be bought from a NPC as well as being found ? Maybe have farmer hayward and others stock them ? He has speckled eggs only...

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:09 pm

Nothing from the fishing update had changed merchants as that requires area development work and the implementer does not have that access. If merchants are changing, it will be done when possible.

As for digging up worms, there is nothing with skills or stats involved. You just need to be in the right location and be lucky.

Thanks

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Woper_The_Black

Post by Woper_The_Black » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:37 am

Ah thanks Spyre. I honestly had never had the reason to look for eggs till now. The fishing update mentioned that they could be acquired from using the bug jar, but we don't have that just yet and it looks like the bait recipes use eggs.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:51 am

Woper_The_Black wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:37 am
Ah thanks Spyre. I honestly had never had the reason to look for eggs till now. The fishing update mentioned that they could be acquired from using the bug jar, but we don't have that just yet and it looks like the bait recipes use eggs.
the eggs mentioned look to be bug eggs not farm eggs, so more a larva thing which makes sense since it says when foraging you can find eggs
Yes I can sign

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:07 am

Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:43 pm
So, this happened.
Pokemon: Arelith when
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:19 pm

Just want to check in whether new potions are only meant for those who were already heavily mastered into herbalism or new wave of them:

Considering skill currently caps at 35, and potions are even lower (heal pots at 21, healing draughts at 27), seems like an oversight.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:36 pm

Yeah agreed on that one. That's a comedic investment level for a pair of semi-useful potions, 25 ranks alone just to be a little better at climbing and not needing to find a wizard to cast water breathing on you for deep sea stuff.

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:31 pm

On a more serious note, this is feedback from a person who doesn't fish himself, but is a herbalist in contact with several fishers and wants to help them fish (and maybe one day pick it up myself).

- Folk are currently not seeing much difference when fishing with worms vs bait. And considering how easy it is to get worms, bait seems to be worthless. However, a thing which seems to crop up from everyone is that they're only getting small/medium fishes, and only now I managed to get out first batch of large bait to one of fishers (and huge bait was bugged up until 30 minutes ago, merging three recipes in one, so yet to make that) to see if it will properly help them.
-----Suggestion 1: Either limit what worms can catch even more, or make it so that using bait reduces the chance for low-quality fish.
-----Suggestion 2: Reduce worm rate (especially once other bait types appear in game - looking at you, bug jar) or success chance

- If you're into money (especially with lack of new recipes at the moment), baitless fishing is actually most profitable, both lucky chances as well as how much "trash" (which sells for max appraise) you pull.
-----No suggestion, hopefully this will simply drop out once recipes appear for new food and other items, making actual fishing be more worth. Cheering on all involved on getting stuff through.

- Already discussed but eggs. A thing not used in server much (my character IC has actually quipped that it's surprising that eggs are such a rarity on isle over a month ago, way before anything was known of fishing update), suddenly becoming a possible necessity. Currently, there's few ways how to get em:
------What was previously thought to be most common: Just rummaging in "trash containers" and beating down couple specific mobs to get it as loot
------What incorrectly was thought as most common: Cordor Farm ("Speckled Egg" is different from "Egg", and doesn't work for bait atm). Only sells limited amount of eggs (per reset? time period?). However, been told "Speckled Egg" will work too soonTM.
------There's also a couple farms around surface with henhouses, but they seem to be spawning eggs either once per reset, or too slowly. Suggestion to increase rate.
------The actual most common way: A single(maybe?) shop selling them for 3gp. Will leave it at FOIG but say it exists. But a suggestion to add one more shop, preferably not far from either one of farms, or docks (to imply import).

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:56 pm

The DCs for the potions are way off where they should be, and that should be fixed within a day or so.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:34 am

Small Update

As of next reset, across all servers...

*DCs for potions are fixed!
*Bug jar is in!
*Most Food(*) is in!
*Eggs replaced with Speckled eggs
*Fishin' pole removed!

Some notes.

*One food item - Jellied Eel, is missing. And without it some of the other feast items arn't avaiable. This is hopefully temporary and will be fixed soon. Though much with the potions, when it is expect the dcs/cp to be off. Don't worry though, I'll get to putting it in line with the others asap.
*I'm a little susspicious of some of the ingredients of the recipes - specifically the Water and Wine used in the shark fin soup. If there's an issue with that plet me know asap and I'll work to fix it.
* Current crafting DC and CPs are in flux for the food items especially. We may change them in the future. But for now this is what they are.

Eels aside, this is the last update I have for fishing until the contributors hand me more to work on. Enjoy!
This too shall pass.

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:16 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:34 am
Small Update

As of next reset, across all servers...

*DCs for potions are fixed!
----Yay!
*Bug jar is in!
----Yay!
*Most Food(*) is in!
----Yay! The heavy tiering in platters will make feedback be slow on em, but am excited.
----That's actually terrible. I expected that all three egg items ("Egg", "Egg" and "Speckled Egg") to be accepted. Now, only "Speckled Egg" works, and opportunities to get em are worse. While you still an egg box which makes a few, Cordor's Merchant has two big issues as compared to merchant selling "Egg": a) Does not trade during night (can only play for couple hours in a day? Well, hope you can outsource someone to get them to you); b) The eggs he sell are not infinite (although need to check how quickly they respawn - but hey, it's night, no merchant). ((EDIT: And he spawned... with no eggs.))
And that's just for surface. Underdark meanwhile gets full shafted, because those speckled eggs are supposed to be a Cordor specialty.
*Fishin' pole removed!
----Yay!

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:10 pm

----That's actually terrible. I expected that all three egg items ("Egg", "Egg" and "Speckled Egg") to be accepted. Now, only "Speckled Egg" works, and opportunities to get em are worse. While you still an egg box which makes a few, Cordor's Merchant has two big issues as compared to merchant selling "Egg": a) Does not trade during night (can only play for couple hours in a day? Well, hope you can outsource someone to get them to you); b) The eggs he sell are not infinite (although need to check how quickly they respawn - but hey, it's night, no merchant). ((EDIT: And he spawned... with no eggs.))
And that's just for surface. Underdark meanwhile gets full shafted, because those speckled eggs are supposed to be a Cordor specialty.
So sadly we can't make interchangable 'egg' items in the crafting matrix. If you want any 'egg' to be used in a recipe, you'd literally need to make three different sorts of the recipe. And I think you'll agree with me that thats way too much.

That being said I think Starfish is looking at ways of making Speckled eggs more accessable, so watch this space.
This too shall pass.

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:26 pm

Well... I might have been a bit hasty on the eggs.

The rate of eggs is not very fast (on a very quick anecdotal test of 25ish attempts got em roughly every 3-4 tries, in one pull 1-2 eggs), but hey. That's accessible to everyone