Fishing Feedback

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Flower Power

Re: Fishing Feedback

Post by Flower Power » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:11 pm

ltlukoziuz wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:32 am

* Not something feedbackable yet, but the platters sound like a lot of headache to make. Hopefully they give huge benefits, but if not, it's 4 tiers collecting a whole variety of different dishes, for possibly minor, possibly single-use goodness. I really hope that's not the case, or that recipes become easier if it is the case. The current FULL requirements for Lavish Seafood Platter from scratch is:

9 Salt
4 Crab Leg
2 Water
7 Mackerel Chunk
4 Mintspear Leaf
12 Jelly (how do you make this? missing recipe?)
6 Gutted Sardine
2 Gutted Eel
7 Fruit
1 Cod Liver
5 Orange Roe
2 Jellied Eel (how do you make this? missing recipe?)
5 Dark Roe
2 Salmon Fillet
1 Wine
1 Speckled Egg
1 Shark Fin

Total CP cost: 90 (possibly more due to some missing parts)
Unless the wiki's Herbalism page is incorrect (I haven't actually logged ingame for more than like 20 minutes in several months, so, y'know, I haven't actually checked myself) the actual crafting list for one is:

4 Water
1 Wine
18 Salt
1 Speckled Egg
10 Mintspear Leaves
5 Fruit
30 Jelly
15 Gutted Sardines
5 Gutted Eels
2 Jellied Eels
13 Mackerel Chunks
4 Crab Legs
1 Shark Fin
1 Cod Liver
5 Orange Roe
5 Dark Roe

and 115 Crafting Points - for the benefit of a single use food item that just restores 75% Hunger and 60% Thirst in one go; and unless it's not just a 1x1 or 1x2 item, it's not even worth it as an ultra-decadent inventory space saver.

Ontop of having to craft the bait to catch most of those fish, I assume, since the different sizes of bait are listed as 'required' to catch different categories of fish (which will add, at minimum, probably another 30-50 CP worth of bait crafting per platter.)

I thought we'd all agreed that obnoxious nested recipes were bad ages ago, considering how many of them have been incrementally rolled back.
what would fred rogers do?

Void

Post by Void » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:28 pm

Flower Power wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:11 pm
ltlukoziuz wrote:

* Not something feedbackable yet, but the platters sound like a lot of headache to make. Hopefully they give huge benefits, but if not, it's 4 tiers collecting a whole variety of different dishes, for possibly minor, possibly single-use goodness. I really hope that's not the case, or that recipes become easier if it is the case. The current FULL requirements for Lavish Seafood Platter from scratch is:

9 Salt
4 Crab Leg
2 Water
7 Mackerel Chunk
4 Mintspear Leaf
6 Gutted Sardine
2 Gutted Eel
7 Fruit
1 Cod Liver
5 Orange Roe
5 Dark Roe
2 Salmon Fillet
1 Wine
1 Speckled Egg
1 Shark Fin

Unless the wiki's Herbalism page is incorrect (I haven't actually logged ingame for more than like 20 minutes in several months, so, y'know, I haven't actually checked myself) the actual crafting list for one is:

4 Water
1 Wine
18 Salt
1 Speckled Egg
10 Mintspear Leaves
5 Fruit
30 Jelly
15 Gutted Sardines
5 Gutted Eels
2 Jellied Eels
13 Mackerel Chunks
4 Crab Legs
1 Shark Fin
1 Cod Liver
5 Orange Roe
5 Dark Roe

and 115 Crafting Points - for the benefit of a single use food item that just restores 75% Hunger and 60% Thirst in one go; and unless it's not just a 1x1 or 1x2 item, it's not even worth it as an ultra-decadent inventory space saver.

Ontop of having to craft the bait to catch most of those fish, I assume, since the different sizes of bait are listed as 'required' to catch different categories of fish (which will add, at minimum, probably another 30-50 CP worth of bait crafting per platter.)

I thought we'd all agreed that obnoxious nested recipes were bad ages ago, considering how many of them have been incrementally rolled back.
I wonder if it would be a good idea to make some recipes ignore crafting points, and only verify crafting level instead. For basic things, for example.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Definately Not A Mimic

Post by Definately Not A Mimic » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:08 am

The wiki is not exactly right in those recipes but yes it takes a lot going into each thing. I don't hate nesting recipes personally though these feel like they need to charge enough money to make it worth spending the points that it isn't worth buying. Maybe once I find a good source for the bits I'm struggling on it won't seem as bad.

DM Starfish
Art Director
Art Director

Post by DM Starfish » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:17 am

Flower Power wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:11 pm
ltlukoziuz wrote:

9 Salt
4 Crab Leg
2 Water
7 Mackerel Chunk
4 Mintspear Leaf
6 Gutted Sardine
2 Gutted Eel
7 Fruit
1 Cod Liver
5 Orange Roe
5 Dark Roe
2 Salmon Fillet
1 Wine
1 Speckled Egg
1 Shark Fin

4 Water
1 Wine
18 Salt
1 Speckled Egg
10 Mintspear Leaves
5 Fruit
30 Jelly
15 Gutted Sardines
5 Gutted Eels
2 Jellied Eels
13 Mackerel Chunks
4 Crab Legs
1 Shark Fin
1 Cod Liver
5 Orange Roe
5 Dark Roe

I'm going to be adding an boon to these soon™. Hopefully something that makes it worth it to craft. Thanks for your feedback.
Roleplay is a two way street.

BurntGnome

Post by BurntGnome » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:46 pm

I've been doing alot of fishing lately and I just dont feel like it accomplishes a whole lot. Ofcourse I have next to no points in cooking, so I cant really make use of the fish itself, but even accomplished cooking characters dont really want to buy fish.

I'd like to see more use for fish, and what meals you can cook with them do more. The baked fish having fox's cunning is cool, but the salmon steak ought have something like that too. Same with Bass and Gloweye and the other fish who dont break down into their own specific food items. Gloweye, if cooked, giving dark or ultra vision, for example, would make those fish feel special to catch.

More types of bait would be good too - not just for fishing. Being able to mix up fish guts with something, and putting it in the forest to attract bears, for example, would be a good use. And on the topic of bait, minnows ought be able to be put on the line to use as bait as well, something I routinely do fishing irl. Same with the shrimp.

The only other issue I have with fishing is the lack of fishing spots near where people gather. In Bendir for example, the fishing spots in town are far off in the corner, if there was a couple by the front of the pond near where people come and go, so I could interact with people as I fish, I'd find myself fishing more.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:24 pm

You absolutely 100% need a herbalist if you want to really get into fishing. Might be worth reaching out to people and finding one.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:58 pm

There is still a pretty severe lack of things to do with most of the fishes though.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:35 pm

Nitro wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:58 pm
There is still a pretty severe lack of things to do with most of the fishes though.
I heard that a lot of more recipes are going to be added in the future. Some fish descriptions hint towards it, like the ones that say they're for medicinal use.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:44 am

Today me and 3 people were trying to fish up kelp. We spent several hours and overall didn't get enough for a single jelly. We were fishing on a boat, although I tried going around to other places and didn't have any better luck. My understanding of it is that kelp is in the junk table, and therefore the best thing to do is try fishing without any bait. Am I doing something wrong? Or is kelp really this rare? I read other people complaining about the rarity, is it really this bad?

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:11 am

Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:44 am
Today me and 3 people were trying to fish up kelp. We spent several hours and overall didn't get enough for a single jelly. We were fishing on a boat, although I tried going around to other places and didn't have any better luck. My understanding of it is that kelp is in the junk table, and therefore the best thing to do is try fishing without any bait. Am I doing something wrong? Or is kelp really this rare? I read other people complaining about the rarity, is it really this bad?
So, some of this is FOIG but i know that in announcements at some point they said kelp was a harvestable resource for sea-floor maps. Ie take a bell down with water breathing on. Otherwise, there is a fish that drops jelly when you harvest it, but you have to find that yourself.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:49 am

Thanks for the reply, I'll switch up what I'm doing.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:43 am

I've been doing a lot of diving bell stuff lately and kelp is still very, very uncommon.

DM Starfish
Art Director
Art Director

Post by DM Starfish » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:13 am

Nitro wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:58 pm
Yes. This will be filled out as the need arises. The fish are a platform for new content but there has to be that new content before a lot of them are any more than an RP tool. It's just how it is.
Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:44 am
I'm upping availability of jelly very soon.
Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:43 am
I've been doing a lot of diving bell stuff lately and kelp is still very, very uncommon.
I'll see what I can do.

Aside from the above I'll get fish bits food values and added to the settlement buy tables so you can drop your excess. Also fishing bag pretty soon.
Roleplay is a two way street.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:26 am

Thank you for the update! The systems are a lot of fun, I'm working with a herbalist to try and make new things.