Throwing Dagger Crafting

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Drowboy

Throwing Dagger Crafting

Post by Drowboy » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:57 pm

This is obviously kind of nitpicky because they're just extremely aesthetically pleasing darts, but throwing knives can only be crafted as 50 stacks, not as bundles. It would be great if they could, like darts, be made as bundles, for all the benefits and convenience that implies.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

Ebonstar

Re: Throwing Dagger Crafting

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:22 pm

find a ranger to create bundles for you
Yes I can sign

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:07 pm

Drowboy wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:57 pm
This is obviously kind of nitpicky because they're just extremely aesthetically pleasing darts, but throwing knives can only be crafted as 50 stacks, not as bundles. It would be great if they could, like darts, be made as bundles, for all the benefits and convenience that implies.
I saw knives on the forging list and was excited about making them, but the lack of bundles is an inconvenience. Would be great if these were added in, agreed.

Definately Not A Mimic

Post by Definately Not A Mimic » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:49 pm

Finding a ranger does little good if they don't have throwing weap prof. I would love to see throwing daggers craftable in bundles as well!

Void

Post by Void » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:28 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:22 pm
Ranger is not required.

Anyone with proper weapon focus can craft ammunition.

The thing is I do not see "throwing dagger" weapon type. There are only darts.

http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Smithing#Ammunition
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:27 pm

i made bundles very easily
Yes I can sign

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:29 pm

Void wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:28 pm
Ebonstar wrote:
Ranger is not required.

the problem you are having is you are trying to craft them, which is why you need to find a ranger to create them
Yes I can sign

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:38 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:29 pm
Void wrote:
Ebonstar wrote:
Ranger is not required.

the problem you are having is you are trying to craft them, which is why you need to find a ranger to create them
http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Feat_changes
Custom Feat. Once per day, may create a bundle of projectiles for the weapon they have the weapon focus feat in (bow, crossbow, sling, thrown weapons) by equipping the weapon and using the ability while the weapon is equipped. Craft Ammunition ability also scales with character levels.
<..>
NOTE: Commoners are eligible for this feat with an applicable Weapon Focus Group but can only create Bronze Ammunition.
Emphasis mine. This is no longer Ranger (Archer) unique

Currently playing: Sabina Paultier

Duchess Says

Post by Duchess Says » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:52 pm

Probably better off trying to find a barbarian or shaman/barbarian to make them, they're more likely to have throwing weapon proficiency...

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:52 pm

Okay this is all great as a stopgap but, and I cannot stress this enough: it would be nice if they had crafting parity with every other ranged weapon in the game.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:55 pm

ltlukoziuz wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:38 pm
Ebonstar wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:29 pm
Void wrote:

Ranger is not required.

http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Feat_changes
Custom Feat. Once per day, may create a bundle of projectiles for the weapon they have the weapon focus feat in (bow, crossbow, sling, thrown weapons) by equipping the weapon and using the ability while the weapon is equipped. Craft Ammunition ability also scales with character levels.
<..>
NOTE: Commoners are eligible for this feat with an applicable Weapon Focus Group but can only create Bronze Ammunition.
Emphasis mine. This is no longer Ranger (Archer) unique
that is great, but who is going to have a feat to waste?
Yes I can sign

Duchess Says

Post by Duchess Says » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:30 pm

Drowboy wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:52 pm
Okay this is all great as a stopgap but, and I cannot stress this enough: it would be nice if they had crafting parity with every other ranged weapon in the game.
I agree. Need bundles. It's odd they aren't as they were introduced long after the ammo templates, it's not some legacy thing.

Furthermore I wish vendors just sold bronze bundles of ammo/throwing weapons instead of stacks. Who's buying the 99 bronze arrows that can't be improved, other than a level 3 who doesn't know any better?

Void

Post by Void » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:49 am

Ebonstar wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:55 pm
Every ranged character on the server.
http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Weapons

The best bet is actually not "Ranger", but halfling slinger, or a fighter axe thrower. A barbarian is also a possibility. Or a shuriken monk.

Searching for a ranger is pointless, because a ranger most likely is gonna be a dual-wielder. And an archer ranger will not have thrown weapon focus by default and will not be able to craft thrown ammo.
Duchess Says wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:30 pm
Furthermore I wish vendors just sold bronze bundles of ammo/throwing weapons instead of stacks. Who's buying the 99 bronze arrows that can't be improved, other than a level 3 who doesn't know any better?
You only buy arrows from vendors at level 1-3, and after that you seek pc vendors that sell damask.

Amusingly by default arrows cost 0 gold.

Duchess Says

Post by Duchess Says » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:06 am

I know that. I am trying to say NPC-sold bronze bundles that you could use with templates would be a nice thing for low level archers or occasional missile users who don't want to invest in the feat... Rogues for example.

Crafting bundles isn't really worth the effort (even bronze) and relying on other PCs is very hit and miss particularly for throwing weapons. Obviously the latter would always be preferable so you could get damask but for when you can't it would be nice to just be able to buy a bronze bundle from the NPCs and apply a few essences from a template.

Void

Post by Void » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:21 am

Duchess Says wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:06 am
I know that. I am trying to say NPC-sold bronze bundles that you could use with templates would be a nice thing for low level archers or occasional missile users who don't want to invest in the feat... Rogues for example.

Crafting bundles isn't really worth the effort (even bronze) and relying on other PCs is very hit and miss particularly for throwing weapons. Obviously the latter would always be preferable so you could get damask but for when you can't it would be nice to just be able to buy a bronze bundle from the NPCs and apply a few essences from a template.
I had a rogue archer, and in the end I had to invest into the feat at level 18. It was worth it, especially once you acquire a stable template.

Judging by the number of temporary essences sold in the stores, the number of ranged users on arelith is fairly high.

And, yes, crafting bundles through smithing and carpentry is completely pointless. The recipe requirements are too high for something that other people can conjure out of thin air.

fading

Post by fading » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:53 am

I didn't even know these existed to be honest. They're not mentioned in the wiki. I do agree that they should receive the same treatment as any other throwing weapon, not sure why they don't to begin with, they're much more compelling than darts, that's for sure.

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:28 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:55 pm
You would be surprised how many people sacrifice a smidgen of their power by losing something like Epic Prowess (just 1 AB) for a QoL feat?

Currently playing: Sabina Paultier

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:14 pm

well i went the ig route to fix this, people just have to find out where
Yes I can sign