Invisible Blade Feedback

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Waldo52

Invisible Blade Feedback

Post by Waldo52 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:14 pm

I tried an IB on the PGCC semi-ecently and thought I'd give my two cents on the class.

I'll start with a generic but well deserved "thank you, good stuff!" to the developers. I'm not sure how optimal this thing is right now but I'm not here to talk about optimization, though mechanically it does seem viable.

The ability to bleed enemies for a damage over time effect had a very cool and alternative vibe to it. No other melee builds do this and it almost didn't feel like Neverwinter Nights. The whole thing harkened back to World of Warcraft, 4th edition D&D and other silly big budget games, but it still felt right because the class played so differently from everything else. And in a twenty year old game having some new and exotic fighting styles is a huge plus.

Now I'll get to my problem with the class: to access IB abilities you get pigeonholed into this one extremely specific aesthetic. Now I get that you can't take the "blade" out of invisible blade. It would be pretty silly to use hammers or flails for a bleed ability. But in addition to this highly specific weapon group you're limited to both light/cloth armor and two weapon fighting. This is a very tired and overdone "dress code", so to speak.

Mechanically this class offers a whole new paradigm for roguish characters in the form of gradual bleeding and spike damage when you dispose of your bleed points (or whatever you call them). If we have a totally new take on the rogue or dex based warrior why should it be forced to look like a walking cliche?

I could maybe see the argument for the light armor requirement, and the types of characters taking levels in this class are probably going to be lightly dressed anyway. But why can't someone pursue this fighting style with an empty off hand or a shield?

Default rangers (somewhat) force you into wearing light armor and using two weapons. Rogues hugely incentivize this arrangement as well if you're not an archer. I really wanted to do something different after seeing this class and playing so many dexterity based characters that looked almost the same. But currently I'm just looking at the character creation screen and thinking "another two weapon fighting guy? Really?"

All in all a very cool class. But the mandated look and gear of it does feel creatively stifling.

Svrtr
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Invisible Blade Feedback

Post by Svrtr » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:31 pm

Sorry to say but you're a bit behind. The balance pass from a week ago (november 5th) changed it so IB class features work on any weapon that is one size category smaller than the wielder, so now even dual spears work for it if you're a medium creature. Weapon type no longer matters, only that they are both small if you are medium.

Edit: Though I do miss the DD/IB meme of just whittling someone down. But you can use heavy armor and all, so half orc with dual spear IB is fine

Waldo52

Re: Invisible Blade Feedback

Post by Waldo52 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:26 pm

Svrtr wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:31 pm
Sorry to say but you're a bit behind. The balance pass from a week ago (november 5th) changed it so IB class features work on any weapon that is one size category smaller than the wielder, so now even dual spears work for it if you're a medium creature. Weapon type no longer matters, only that they are both small if you are medium.

Edit: Though I do miss the DD/IB meme of just whittling someone down. But you can use heavy armor and all, so half orc with dual spear IB is fine
It took a while to respond, as I needed to find the free time to go back to the PGCC and test this thing again.

The expanded weapon list was an incredible change, but you're wrong about the heavy armor. You still need light armor or a t-shirt. And you still lose all IB abilities unless you're using two weapons.

Again, this is a beautiful lly designed three level class. I just wish there was some flexibility in dress code or fighting styles.