Cavalier - The Good and the Bad

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Archnon

Cavalier - The Good and the Bad

Post by Archnon » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:20 am

Just to start off, as the title implies, there is no ugly with this class. It was extremely carefully done and it is really a brilliant class. I'm up to level 27 on this build, 9 cav so far, and just wanted to put some thoughts down. I feel like it was all the rage a bit ago but cavs are fewer and further between now so it seemed like a good time to revisit and see what everyone thinks.

So the stats: Kind of a weird build. Dwarf Heavy Cavalry. 5 figher, 15 EKD, 10 Cav..... right now, level 27, shy 1 cav and 2 EKD levels. 1h concussion using cav hammer, warmace, and heavy flail.

The Good:
* The Charge: Oh man, there is nothing like riding up, hitting that charge button on horseback and wam, tons of damage.
* The Cookies: The extra feats, fear immunity and extra AB/Speed really help this class be viable even on foot.
* The wow-factor: The mounts are really well designed with a lot of personality. Not to mention that cav builds are a little less common now than they were a few months ago (mostly because new shiny things have come along). So now, I cant tell you how often I get a tell as soon as I ride up on my horse and wack something that reads, "OMG your a cavalier, that is sooo cool".

The bad:
* The caves/houses: Most of the epic content (if not all) leaves you off your horse, at least for your boss fight. So you lose the cool, and you loose that crazy good damage. It would be great to see some of these areas revisited as riding areas, especially the caves. If a 20 foot giant (and yes, frost giants and fire giants are 20 foot tall per lore) can walk around in the building, then your horse should be able to too. That being said, you can always run into the problem of stairs and stuff so I know realism isn't the full dream. Mostly, I'd just like to see a few epic areas get added as cav riding spots for some QOL fun. If anyone can point me to some OOC or IC, I'd love it. This might help UD cavs as well. It isn't even the bonus damage (which is nice) but the loss of RP flavor that is disappointing.
* Two-handed weapons: Heavy Flail and Naginata are the only proper two-handed weapons that a cav can wield. It would be nice to see a few more added to the list, just for some diversity for Strength builds. Maul, Trident, Great Sword, Greataxe, Halberd, and now Pike all seem like great options to be wielded from a horse because they don't add problems with 2-sided issues that might create balance issues.
* The foot charge: It is just, well, a bit disappointing. The AB is good, but not great. The speed is okay, but is really outshined now with sprint. Importantly, it is what you are left with for most epic content (see point 1). It needs just a little something at level 10 to make it shine compared to other classes that do something similar (barbarian, I'm looking at you). Maybe even just a short duration FOM caste to clear slow. Nothing is more frustrating than popping sprint to get slowed. I don't know, maybe you all have ideas but it just needs something small.

Overall, this has just been one of my favorite classes to play. I loved riding on other classes and the Cav stuff makes it especially fun so my kudos to Kenji and the other developers that really delved into this one. Perhaps you all have other experiences with this and can share your own perspective. I know my build is a bit wonky and different so eager to hear how others play it out.

also, please add a pike that does extra damage vs mounted units because, well, obviously, it just makes sense!

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Cavalier - The Good and the Bad

Post by Ork » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:28 am

I truthfully think we need to re-examine cavalier. There are a lot of exploits that still persist to this day that lead to devestating consequences.

Ascended Mage

Re: Cavalier - The Good and the Bad

Post by Ascended Mage » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:04 pm

Caves, UD and house for cavalier really all that suffering comes simply from not availability to get for Arelith more mounts models and options. Sadly there are very few good mounts in nwnvault and keep in mind what you need to do work to make all custom robes models make work on all any new mounts. One day there will be wyverns drow cavaliers and dwarfs on boars, etc, etc. But not today, not this year and unlikely next year. But in general, it was good to make attempt to add class and its features with resources that Arelith have. I think cavalier is in a somewhat good position.