2 weeks of pure rogue;

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Reallylongunneededplayername

2 weeks of pure rogue;

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:51 pm

Good morning,

For 2 weeks I have been playing a rogue,

This was my first time playing a character that only had 1 class to 30 and I must say, I had fun.
Some people asked "No fighter dip?" and to those who think the same:

Why should I? Rogue is a supporter, They help with locks, Traps, selling loot and take your wallet.
There is no reason what so ever..aside PvP to strenghten my build. (And on that note, With Epic dodge and parry I still do quite well)

"Use potions and wands!" Another thing I got told a lot, First of all, my rogue made her own +1 heal kits (huge savings, very good deal)
And sometimes used the scrolls and stuff she'd find on the way, I honestly never found any need to start buying wands.
Though this might be because we are so used to stocking up with a load of helpfull stuff that we no longer notice how much we don't actually need them anymore.

I found my previous characters often go the same about it "I guess a few potions can't hurt" was my max over the last three characters.

So, lvl 30 in two week, Week one I got to level 20 at Skaljard. Skaljard is a place often people need to stay away from the madness that is Arelith sometime, Previous characters might exhausted you a little mentally or it has been to much of the same as you easily find yourself going in the same circle or playstyle.

Then with renewed energy, Character and friends you bravely sail forth that beast that is Arelith and face all its glory and flaws.
(I wish I spended a little longer in Skaljard though, And please make a caravan to the castle, That place is crying from inactivity)

Week 2, Just by casual playing I became level 30, Often people I play with agree that Arelith has a very easy difficulty level these days, This run we agreed Arelith is at "Meme" level as you pretty much drown in XP and the levels sneak up on you as the sound of the next suprises you through casual conversation.

I actually currently go through a zombie survival server as I feel the need for a diet.

What suprised me more is the loot, Now my rogue is lucky when it comes to friends and quarters and shops, My rogue is made to make money and finding the most in each body, bookshelf and chest, But in my entire run have I never found: Rare gems, Mithril dust, a second elk stone or any amazing gear. I still chalk it up as "unlucky" and toss l loads of unsellable garbage through the coin maker that are the peddlers of Arelith.

At this point the heap of coin would easily make me able to buy the materials I'd need but the market is ever so unkind as mithril dust and their kind gently passed the 100k mark and now sit on even higher costs and I refuse, It's silly, unneeded, first of all, Characters owning those shops often don't need that money at this point, They are in it for the greed.
Secondly, I know as soon as I buy it the next chest I open has that dust and the gods will laugh at my frustration.

Anyway, Arelith is to easy, XP is to much, Coin is just perfect, Loot is crap, Quarters and shops are finally fair and we praise the Devs for it, People are greedy and rare is to rare.

Now excuse me, I have to find wurms to go fish.
(>^.^)>) * * * *<(^.^<) <-Magic missles and shield spell.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Re: 2 weeks of pure rogue;

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:28 pm

What's this have to do with rogue feedback? Arelith is easy, relatively speaking, but necessarily bad things. We still have devs who rarely reach lvl 30. Im way too busy with RL right now to take advantage of any of it right now (lvl 12 over past month i think. I'm not even a dev. Just someone typing on my phone with a baby strapped to my chest as i walk around).

Maybe ill finalt get to lvl 30 thus Christmas. I don't really care either. People will stioll get to lvl 30 fasr bo matter what. My main issue i can't produce a story arc with my rate if playing and rotating pcs but that will always be relative to my playtime being less.

I think its great people with both low play time AND character adhd issues dont suffee too much. Arelith being easy is still relative to knowing mechanics or having a party as new players sometimes still struggle playing even the easiest solo classes and right now we lack a huge swathe of accessible up to date character guides and even when they are up to date, they don't tell you how to play the build/class/arelith/nwn. But yeah it is really "easy" these days relative to other servers etc.

That being said, id still recommend people go early fighter dip on rogue for support purposes as shield proficiency + combat expertise lets you be the tank role if no one else is stepping up to the plate.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:44 am

Agreed that leveling is far too easy.

Void

Post by Void » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:51 am

Hazard wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:44 am
It is decent for limited play time.

If someone manages to get to 30 in 2 weeks, all I can say that I won't be able to do something like that, and they might've played way more hours per day than I possibly ever could.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:56 am

Void wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:51 am
Hazard wrote:
It is decent for limited play time.

If someone manages to get to 30 in 2 weeks, all I can say that I won't be able to do something like that, and they might've played way more hours per day than I possibly ever could.
i mean i had a friend who do stuff like reach lvl 20 on a few weeks on a server that took ten times as much effort to reach lvl 20 than it did 30 on arelith and that was pre-writ arelith.

There are guys on arelith that will lvl that fast too with or without writs.

I do find it amusing/interesting when people are voicing concern about their exp being penalized for being too high lvl on epic writs as the exp is still very generous. It took some tweaking back and forth, but being able to backlog low lvl writs at epics for whole Isle at full multiplied exp pushed it over the limit (hence why that fix was put in place). not just level up speed wise, but in terms of continuity. You should still be adventuring appropriate content to level up faster when it comes to killing things/writs etc. I am glad the eased up on the rp bonuses and have tweaked it back and forth to their own personal liking. Those who find it too easy can now have time to play on more than one server and those who enjoy it as is can enjoy it as is.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:57 am

Hazard wrote:
+1 from me too.

Leveling has been a sad joke lately.

Rogues are like bad Loremasters at this point.

And I salute the OP for bringing up the absurd prices on rare ingredients. They used to be much cheaper a year or two ago. I think the problem lays in that factions drown in coin (and legally transfer bank accounts between characters without actually breaking any server rule) and can afford to pay those absurd prices, so the prices just go higher and higher because SOMEONE will eventually pay it. It's what you get when 10-20% of the living characters in the world have access to capped out bank accounts and can pay these prices for themselves and their recruits/buddies.

I think that's all I got for now. This is a good thread.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Void

Post by Void » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:01 am

malcolm_mountainslayer wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:56 am
i mean i had a friend who do stuff like reach lvl 20 on a few weeks on a server that took ten times as much effort to reach lvl 20 than it did 30 on arelith and that was pre-writ arelith.

There are guys on arelith that will lvl that fast too with or without writs.
I'm aware that there's always a Flash incarnate. Played on bgtscc before. Typical leveling speed is a bunch of months, some people never reach epics, and if you only quest, then you get 7k xp per week max. Death penalty is much higher and can take few thousand xp. Yet there were still people that managed to reach level 30 in 1 months by grinding like mad 40 hours per day.
malcolm_mountainslayer wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:56 am
I do find it amusing/interesting when people are voicing concern about their exp being penalized for being too high lvl on epic writs as the exp is still very generous. It took some tweaking back and forth, but being able to backlog low lvl writs at epics for whole Isle at full multiplied exp pushed it over the limit (hence why that fix was put in place). not just level up speed wise, but in terms ...
I'm one of those people. The problem is like this:

You have quest 1 where you need to walk through two locations with zero danger. Available at level 3.
You have quest 2, where even while you're overleveled you need to spend something in ballpark of a hour or two, waste a ton of consumables, nearly die bunch of places. And reward will be close to reward of quest 1 due to penalty.
Then you have quest 3, where you aren't overleveled, but you finish it in 15 minutes top, getting 2x..3x reward of quest 2.

That simply doesn't feel right, and that's what it is about.
Last edited by Void on Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

La Villa Strangiato

Post by La Villa Strangiato » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:03 am

A fighter dip is largely so you can gain extra feats, as well as take a discipline dump. If you get knocked down in PvP, or even in PvE when you're alone, you're pretty much done for.

As for saying Arelith is "too easy", I don't know what other people came to this server for, but I didn't come to Arelith to enjoy the mechanics of a game my age. I came here to roleplay. If levelling is too easy, so what? We're not creating an MMO here.
Senrae
Saraskyn
Kallava Okaide
Nemerarie Athol
Rio Salazar

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:08 am

La Villa Strangiato wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:03 am
A fighter dip is largely so you can gain extra feats, as well as take a discipline dump. If you get knocked down in PvP, or even in PvE when you're alone, you're pretty much done for.

As for saying Arelith is "too easy", I don't know what other people came to this server for, but I didn't come to Arelith to enjoy the mechanics of a game my age. I came here to roleplay. If levelling is too easy, so what? We're not creating an MMO here.
I think the concern is that 'easy leveling' feeling mmoish to some people. *shrugs* there is a large spectrum of opinion/feelings/perceived atmosphere on this topic. (like why vanilla WoW is better than newer WoW cause you actaully have to have a feel the lay of the land and give a crap about your surroundings a bit more)

I am assuming with easier lvling process the next changes would be handeling how rewards are handed out vs speed running characters to 26.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:18 am

Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:03 am
I think that faster leveling is actually more of a chore. When it's slow, there's a sense of vividness and RP. When it's fast, it's just a chore I wanna get over with so I can reach what my character already *is*. But when it's slow, there's progress, and while you might know your end-game build your character doesnt know their end-game build and you have an opportunity to RP progress and change, where as just looking at the build and just grinding it to 30 so it becomes what I planned it to be from the start without/or barely RPing this change and progress.. to me it's a lot more MMOish when it's fast and a lot more RP-ful when it's slower and tied to real events in the game.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

La Villa Strangiato

Post by La Villa Strangiato » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:24 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:18 am
I think that faster leveling is actually more of a chore. When it's slow, there's a sense of vividness and RP. When it's fast, it's just a chore I wanna get over with so I can reach what my character already *is*. But when it's slow, there's progress, and while you might know your end-game build your character doesnt know their end-game build and you have an opportunity to RP progress and change, where as just looking at the build and just grinding it to 30 so it becomes what I planned it to be from the start without/or barely RPing this change and progress.. to me it's a lot more MMOish when it's fast and a lot more RP-ful when it's slower and tied to real events in the game.
And that's your opinion, but have you considered just turning on adventure mode/doing less writs/sitting in the square/the Hub/a tavern and RPing more often? Nobody is forcing you to level fast.

Edit: Also wow this thread got off-topic but I honestly don't know what the topic was in the first place.
Senrae
Saraskyn
Kallava Okaide
Nemerarie Athol
Rio Salazar

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:31 am

Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:24 am
AstralUniverse wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:18 am
And that's your opinion, but have you considered just turning on adventure mode/doing less writs/sitting in the square/the Hub/a tavern and RPing more often? Nobody is forcing you to level fast.
So lets just make a command that lets you just start the game at any level you like between 1 to 30? *thinking face*

Yeah, I considered it but honestly there's only so much time you can just hold level up. It's annoying. I cant even click my portrait and have to target my avatar which might be surrounded by mobs with large hit box. There are many reasons why it's annoying, and I'm not gonna lie - it's also not fun to hold levels while the rest of my group doesnt. But you're not wrong in that this is my personal opinion and preference which I dont really know how many people I share this point of view with, but I can hope that many others. Cheers.
Svrtr wrote:

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:41 am

You can always stay in adventure mode and don't do writs if you want to level slowly. As an adult with a full time job leveling is about the right speed to allow me to have viable characters who can be part of things with my 10-15 hours a week. I'd have to either throw up my hands and give up or just play one character for the rest of my time here if it slowed down significantly.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:43 am

Faster leveling creates a culture of "real roleplay/conflict begins at level 30." Which is bad.

Slower leveling rewards disproportionately rewards grinding and those with more time-to-play. And also puts more "roleplay first" scenarios in the backseat.

It's a pendulum always at play. I think the former is more of a problem than the latter. Others disagree.

I think that fixation on leveling occurs regardless of the XP economy. I think that the problem of "get to 30, then PvP" does exist at every interval.

It's all on a spectrum, and I trust the devs to make adjustments as needed.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Void

Post by Void » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:48 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:43 am
"real roleplay/conflict begins at level 30." Which is bad.
I prefer "at level 30 the game ends and you roll the credits". That's not for everybody, however.

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:10 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:57 am
And I salute the OP for bringing up the absurd prices on rare ingredients. They used to be much cheaper a year or two ago. I think the problem lays in that factions drown in coin (and legally transfer bank accounts between characters without actually breaking any server rule) and can afford to pay those absurd prices, so the prices just go higher and higher because SOMEONE will eventually pay it. It's what you get when 10-20% of the living characters in the world have access to capped out bank accounts and can pay these prices for themselves and their recruits/buddies.
Cheaper? I remember 2-3 years agp you would be cutting market if you tried selling mithril dust/beljuril for 200k or less. And there's no necessity to pertain to bannable offenses (no, just because mule scripts can't catch someone doing "transfer to well known faction, take it back out with someone else" it doesn't mean it should be accepted). Even now on a 0 appraise/leadership guy (though I do have gloves and rings to boost it), I can easily rake in 50-100k in a single dungeoneering trip if I am going solo, depending on my luck and tenacity. Have at least one skill? Shovel in the money.

Currently playing: Sabina Paultier

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:46 am

Seeing how this has changed to an XP discussion:

As a casual player, the XP gain for me is just enough to keep me interested in my character's progression and excited for what lay on the horizon. I can see how people that can play 4-5+ hours a day would level ridiculously fast if I'm playing maybe .5 - 1 hour a day tops and feeling good about the progression.

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:24 am

Ork wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:46 am

As a casual player, the XP gain for me is just enough to keep me interested in my character's progression and excited for what lay on the horizon. I can see how people that can play 4-5+ hours a day would level ridiculously fast if I'm playing maybe .5 - 1 hour a day tops and feeling good about the progression.
Half a hour to one hour, These are things I do not get at all, How do you even play Arelith like that when a simple roleplay conversation could fill such time slot completely?

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:30 am

Reallylongunneededplayername wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:24 am
Ork wrote:

Half a hour to one hour, These are things I do not get at all, How do you even play Arelith like that when a simple roleplay conversation could fill such time slot completely?
Yeah, that's barely long enough for my characters to say hello and goodbye to people about town, or to just travel to a dungeon. I can't image playing that briefly unless I'm just logging in to craft things in my own player-house and then logging out.

I don't want to be a huge bitch, but I don't think we should be balancing gameplay around hyper-casual playtimes. It's not WoW or an MMO, and level 30 shouldn't be this thing that's just handed to everyone. It creates an atmosphere of "game begins at 30" and that's encouraged a lot of people just running all over with minimal RP until they're max level.

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:12 am

Define "hyper casual" though. I think an hour on most days, 4+ hours a couple of times a week is pretty normal and about all you can ask of anyone with a life outside the game whether that means work or family or school or some combination. That's maybe 10-20 hours a week which is already a lot to invest in a hobby that won't bring skills or money or career advancement or family memories or anything but fleeting entertainment with online strangers.

I'm not passing any judgement whatsoever on anyone who spends 20, 30, 40 or more hours a week on Arelith, I've been there though I very much regret spending that much time in my own case. I know some have situations where this is their only social outlet and all of our stories are different. But if you want a well-rounded community you can't dismiss the "casual" demographic who can't make this a full time job. I really don't think you should make the 1-30 process take them months again because those able to be here all the time find that too fast. If I'm totally honest it might even be healthy if too much time a week spent on Arelith brought diminishing returns.

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:33 am

Eyeliner wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:12 am
Define "hyper casual" though. I think an hour on most days, 4+ hours a couple of times a week is pretty normal and about all you can ask of anyone with a life outside the game whether that means work or family or school or some combination. That's maybe 10-20 hours a week which is already a lot to invest in a hobby that won't bring skills or money or career advancement or family memories or anything but fleeting entertainment with online strangers.

I'm not passing any judgement whatsoever on anyone who spends 20, 30, 40 or more hours a week on Arelith, I've been there though I very much regret spending that much time in my own case. I know some have situations where this is their only social outlet and all of our stories are different. But if you want a well-rounded community you can't dismiss the "casual" demographic who can't make this a full time job. I really don't think you should make the 1-30 process take them months again because those able to be here all the time find that too fast. If I'm totally honest it might even be healthy if too much time a week spent on Arelith brought diminishing returns.
I don't see anything wrong with your math, Nor is there a poll on "How many hours a week do you play" so, I really can't tell.

I disagree with your casuals shouldn't take months, Honestly, I wish it would take months again for me, Hells let's go back 15 years where it took me over half a year to come near the idea of level 30 and most were somewhere between 15 and 25.

This is a roleplay server and skipping past the roleplay of becomming this amazing character, The hard work and struggle that went into it is more a loss than a gain.

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:30 am

Nerf writ xp, got it.

La Villa Strangiato

Post by La Villa Strangiato » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:48 am

Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:33 am
I don't see anything wrong with your math, Nor is there a poll on "How many hours a week do you play" so, I really can't tell.

I disagree with your casuals shouldn't take months, Honestly, I wish it would take months again for me, Hells let's go back 15 years where it took me over half a year to come near the idea of level 30 and most were somewhere between 15 and 25.

This is a roleplay server and skipping past the roleplay of becomming this amazing character, The hard work and struggle that went into it is more a loss than a gain.
Pretty much everyone I've seen who plays more casually says that the writ exp change was amazing and they can level so much faster now without having to no-life it to get to 20 in under 3 months. Even as someone who no-lifed on Arelith for a while, I am going to confidently say levelling was really boring after the first time I did it in various locales.

You gain very little from not levelling quickly, except adventuring and roleplaying reacting to things for the first time. Which is fine and dandy-- I like doing a little adventuring at low levels. Since I'm a relatively new player, I sometimes even see things I haven't seen before. But the fact of the matter is that after the fifth time you've done it, adventuring loses its novelty.

Edit: Actually I should say that some people, as they mention in this thread, do enjoy slow levelling and they gain roleplay from it, which is fine.
Senrae
Saraskyn
Kallava Okaide
Nemerarie Athol
Rio Salazar

Void

Post by Void » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:35 pm

Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:24 am
Ork wrote:

It is enough time to have a short chat and finish one easier dungeon.
Eyeliner wrote:
Define "hyper casual" though. I think an hour on most days, 4+ hours a couple of times a week is pretty normal and about all you can ask of anyone with a life outside the game whether that means work or family or school or some combination.
I think the term "casual" is not right. "Limited playtime" is a better one. As casual implies looking for simple mechanics.

An decent example of "limited playtime" would be 2-3 hours per week total. That's what happens if someone works through the whole week and can only play at weekends. The worse case would be 2-3 hours per month.

In comparison, someone who has boatloads of free time woud be able to pull off 56-80 hour per week, if really wanted to.
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:33 am

If you enjoy slower leveling, that does not mean that everybody does and should be subjected to it.

This sort of thing can be implemented as a gameplay mode similar to mark of despair. YOu take it, and you get single digits combat xp, your axp drip is quarter your rpr per hour with no bonuses, and writs go to axp, with zero immediate reward. Take all the time in the world, if you really want it.

However, I wouldn't play something like it. Years ago, by the way, when this kind of thing was done on arelith, arelith also had fairly low population. I can't speak of 15 years ago but around 2014-2016 it was something like 30 people online, and when I played back then, the overall impression of the server was extremely negative not sure which elder gods I upset, but when I tried the game, I ended up with mostly empty cordor, with a 4-6 people fooling around in cordor square, ignoring guards and bringing up summons in front of guards, and those guys were really eager to bash some hobgoblins in brambler woods. They formed a party, I joined it, and then they all got slaughtered by those hobgoblins, except me. That was extremely memorable, and not in a good way). That was before writs and EE as well. Oh, and remember that system when in order to get a prestige class you had to acquire DM permission? That was a thing. For example, this is taken off somebody's blog from 2012.
Arelith is a rough world. To have at least some chance to survive with my orog fighter, I decided to make him a weaponmaster. I managed to get in contact with a DM (<redacted>) to get a weapon master mission. In Arelith, you can’t get prestige class levels without making a mission a DM has selected for you. To even begin the mission, I was required to make my own weapon of choice and rename it. Luckily that wasn’t too hard since I already had decided to become a blacksmith. After that came the problem, not a single DM ever appeared in arelith, so my interest dwindled a bit and my visits to Under Dark became less and less frequent (as you can see in this blog). Finally, today, 8 months later and nearly with the xp required to begin level up, a DM answered my call only to deny me ny chance to get the token since my RP value was too low?! In Arelith you get points from DM:s when they see you role playing when they are invisible and obviosly they haven’t seen me.
Regarding roleplaying, slower leveling does not mean better or more roleplay. An opposite thing can happen, people may get bored and start fooling around (mentioned either on discord or on other thread). Normally, (in my experience) when you start advancing, you form a group of buddies, adventure together, and those guys form bulk of the amazing adventuring memories. At some point, however, they all are going to disappear and the character will be left wondering what the heck happened. Past that point the character can either get lucky and find new group of buddies or fizzle out, and turn into a ghost of the glorious past that hops on online once in a while to reminisce about good days and then logs off. This sort of thing happens on all servers, and that's why I tend to use "the game ends at level 30". Because the amazing experience are formed during the journey, and not after you've reached the destination. But that's for me.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:40 pm

Kenji wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:30 am
Nerf writ xp, got it.
As always, Kenji, you hit the nail right on the head..... with your Deep Troll Great Club +5.
Eyeliner wrote:

First of all, this post is an excellent read, regardless of anything. However, I think you and many others miss a pretty major part of the grand picture. "The Road to Level 30" is not the only metric. Gear is just an important. Gear is very expensive. No matter how to swing the pendulum heavy grinders will always have advantage over not heavy grinders. People with more time to play WILL progress faster than people with less time to play. The road to level 30 doesnt need to be trivial just so Gear will become the next best go-to measure of mechanical progress. The road to level 30 can be much slower and things will remain exactly the same, except that character progress will be far better reflected/represented in their story.
Svrtr wrote: