Traps and Trapping

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Pife

Traps and Trapping

Post by Pife » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:53 pm

Would it be possible to look into the use of traps mechanically? I've been playing with them for a while and while they're fun, the process can also be quite frustrating!

Carefully set up traps can be triggered and returned to your bag by people who don't mean to walk on them, or can't see them.
Traps cannot be placed in stealth without leaving stealth once the trap has been set.
Trap boxes cannot be opened in stealth without revealing yourself when opened, which makes it hard to select a trap without giving yourself away.

Maybe an ability to set traps while in stealth is considered OP, but could be gated by ESF Trap or the Skill Mastery feat, or even behind a certain level of rogue levels or something similar.

Traps are criminally under-utilised and have a lot of potential! A couple of changes and they could easily be criminally-utilised instead (hoho)

Hazard

Re: Traps and Trapping

Post by Hazard » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:56 am

Agreed.

Void

Post by Void » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:29 am

I had a character with a maxed trap skill, and was incredibly disappointed when I found out that placing a trap breaks stealth.

That greatly reduced their utility, becuase I'd need to clear a small area and then trap the hell out of it and then lure enemies in.

I did use traps because the character was mechanically weak and focused on stealth, but because of the listed problems I probably used them 10 times total on journey from 1 to 30. I'm not convinced that it was worth the investment.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:34 am

Traps cannot be placed in stealth without leaving stealth is a big problem for me aswel and why i never skill in it.

Tabby
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Tabby » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:58 am

Agreed with all above, besides the "magical" returning to bag when triggered by PC.
Thats abit.. not natural.. should be picked up again, rogues dont have telekinesis :D

Placing traps in Stealth would be awesome.
Only problem is the current PvP warning before using traps as a pvp weapon.

It could be very... tricky to warn someone, before they actually steps in one?
But for PvE it would be awesome

Dormant Character: Tabitha Fuzzypaw - Shelved, searching all corners for treasures and secrets.
Misty Scrollsinger - Still searching answers, but is now elsewhere

Rolled Character: Björn Njald - sailed on new adventures

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:36 am

Tabby wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:58 am

Well, as far as I have seen it adjudicated and used, it's basically a warning to RP before PvP just like how would you do normally. Most instances of it happening was folk encountering each other, one side faking retreat, only to either sneak someone behind their lines to trap their further path, or lure into traps while retreating.

Currently playing: Sabina Paultier

Pife

Post by Pife » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:40 am

Hostile intent is OOC knowledge and since you have to RP before attacking someone, the same rule would apply with traps.

I don't see the necessity for -hostile as an issue, it's the interaction that 'non-hostiled' players have with placed traps that make things difficult.

I do think that non-hostile flagged players should roll to save vs traps if they're within the AoE despite not having triggered it themselves though - would be a bit weird if someone next to them took massive fire damage from a huge explosion and someone stood right next to them had to act completely oblivious.

'Why are you on fire? Where's your arm? Explosion? What explosion?'

Tabby
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Tabby » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:35 am

ltlukoziuz wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:36 am
Tabby wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:58 am

Well, as far as I have seen it adjudicated and used, it's basically a warning to RP before PvP just like how would you do normally. Most instances of it happening was folk encountering each other, one side faking retreat, only to either sneak someone behind their lines to trap their further path, or lure into traps while retreating.
That can be done, but for you having to retreat to them, you leaving the traps unguarded and any non-participating could trigger them without you knowing, before you can give warning.

Dormant Character: Tabitha Fuzzypaw - Shelved, searching all corners for treasures and secrets.
Misty Scrollsinger - Still searching answers, but is now elsewhere

Rolled Character: Björn Njald - sailed on new adventures