spell component system

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

-XXX-

Re: spell component system

Post by -XXX- » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:45 pm

I do not see where the excitement is coming from.
Denying the cast would have been so. much. worse.

Just get an extra pouch so that your mage never gets stranded without the ability to cast lvl 7+ spells when their pouch accidentally breaks...

...lt's the big brain thing to do

perseid

Post by perseid » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:17 am

-XXX- wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:45 pm
I do not see where the excitement is coming from.
Denying the cast would have been so. much. worse.

Just get an extra pouch so that your mage never gets stranded without the ability to cast lvl 7+ spells when their pouch accidentally breaks...

...lt's the big brain thing to do
Usually if I tear a pouch it's because I was being lazy and lost it to some really trivial cast. That's why it'd be handy, since for pvp it's not a concern since I'm paying full attention then.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:44 am

...if you see it coming
...and happen to have noticed/remembered that the pouch is not at max charges
...and have the time to prepare

Anyway, stopping the cast is worse than the pouch breaking. It'd heavily incentivize mages to become that one guy who reloads the magazine after every single shot in FPS games. Pouches aren't expensive, why is it such a problem to pack an extra few?

perseid

Post by perseid » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:52 am

-XXX- wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:44 am
Anyway, stopping the cast is worse than the pouch breaking.
This is essentially where the disagreement is. I'd much rather a random cast in a low pressure situation be dropped than lose a pouch and have to go get a new one.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:07 am

Yes, we're on the same page here. I argue that stopping the cast in a situation where that one spell could have made all the difference is a crippling proposition for the mage. Especially when the only argument for this is "I don't want to buy/make another pouch".

Btw. it is entirely possible to deplete a full pouch over the course of a single encounter - especially when taking counterspelling into account. Refilling the pouch during an already ongoing fight is extremely unviable as it isn't a free action.

Tabby
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Tabby » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:19 am

Seriously...
Its 2x small leathers to make one, you can craft it with 1 SP in Tailoring, you might not succed in first try, but its doable. (Dc 15)
Small Leathers can be found in containers, its free, so why not.
Crafting the leather itself is a DC 1.. Tanning Acid and small hide x2. The Tanning Acid is a DC 6 in Herbalism. (Salt, fruit and Glass Vials)
I wrote this on other posts, put 1 pts in all crafts, and you can make all basic crafts.

As it was suggested, make several, keep some on you, buy extra.. its not a big deal...

Its.. okay! Why does everything has to be a Walk in the Park?
Sometimes i feel, people want a "press this buttom to win"

Dormant Character: Tabitha Fuzzypaw - Shelved, searching all corners for treasures and secrets.
Misty Scrollsinger - Still searching answers, but is now elsewhere

Rolled Character: Björn Njald - sailed on new adventures

Naghast

Post by Naghast » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:39 pm

Tabby wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:19 am
Seriously...
Its 2x small leathers to make one, you can craft it with 1 SP in Tailoring, you might not succed in first try, but its doable. (Dc 15)
Crafting the leather itself is a DC 1.. Tanning Acid and small hide x2. The Tanning Acid is a DC 6 in Herbalism. (Salt, fruit and Glass Vials)
I wrote this on other posts, put 1 pts in all crafts, and you can make all basic crafts.

As it was suggested, make several, keep some on you, buy extra.. its not a big deal...

my issue with it is that while it's not, like, a financial burden (well, not a big one at least. it's incredibly minor)
it's simply annoying. literally just that. it's annoying. never claimed getting a component pouch is hard. never claimed getting spell components is difficult either. it's just annoying thing.
and i say this as someone who does keep several spell component pouches. so losing one, or even *three* would be pretty much nothing to me, as i can get them replaced in literally one sitting.

but i do agree with you partially at least. financially, DC'ly, it's not a big deal - it's minor.
it's just inconvenience.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:49 pm

Naghast wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:39 pm
Tabby wrote:
Seriously...

my issue with it is that while it's not, like, a financial burden (well, not a big one at least. it's incredibly minor)
it's simply annoying. literally just that. it's annoying. never claimed getting a component pouch is hard. never claimed getting spell components is difficult either. it's just annoying thing.
and i say this as someone who does keep several spell component pouches. so losing one, or even *three* would be pretty much nothing to me, as i can get them replaced in literally one sitting.

but i do agree with you partially at least. financially, DC'ly, it's not a big deal - it's minor.
it's just inconvenience.
Armor breaking for mundane classes is annoying too. Compared to them, we casters have it easy. We lose a pouch; they lose entire their armor, their weapons, if those things run out of charges.

Sure it's all annoying. But the alternative is way too easy, way too convenient.

perseid

Post by perseid » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:26 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:49 pm
Naghast wrote:
Tabby wrote:
Seriously...

it's just inconvenience.
Armor breaking for mundane classes is annoying too. Compared to them, we casters have it easy. We lose a pouch; they lose entire their armor, their weapons, if those things run out of charges.

Sure it's all annoying. But the alternative is way too easy, way too convenient.
Is it though? There are plenty of casters who don't use components already.

mourisson1

Post by mourisson1 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:10 am

MissEvelyn wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:49 pm
Naghast wrote:
Tabby wrote:
Seriously...

it's just inconvenience.

there is a system that automatically unequips stuff that gets do 1 durability
Lothias Mour'rek - Gone. Or is he?
Locika Querrestalo - For holy light

Tabby
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Tabby » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:32 am

Naghast wrote:
Tabby wrote:
Seriously...

it's just inconvenience.
Yes its annoying, so be it... it do not have to be easy,does it? "Press button to Win" is what i stated before, its okay, have some extra with you, its that easy... i really dont see why this has to be such an issue, i would rather want to see devs make more items, extra worldbuilding, than look into this small, lesser issue.. with their limited time.. really.. just bring two extra pouches..
besides its adds to the economy, when one breaks... compared it to the repair kits then... its a commodity that always needs to be bought.. as it is now is the better solution..

so let it be annoying.. its not a big problem :)

Dormant Character: Tabitha Fuzzypaw - Shelved, searching all corners for treasures and secrets.

Naghast

Post by Naghast » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:40 am

Tabby wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:32 am
Naghast wrote:
Tabby wrote:
Seriously...

it's just inconvenience.
Yes its annoying, so be it... it do not have to be easy,does it? "Press button to Win" is what i stated before, its okay, have some extra with you, its that easy... i really dont see why this has to be such an issue, i would rather want to see devs make more items, extra worldbuilding, than look into this small, lesser issue.. with their limited time.. really.. just bring two extra pouches..
besides its adds to the economy, when one breaks... compared it to the repair kits then... its a commodity that always needs to be bought.. as it is now is the better solution..

an... interesting approach to be honest, considering neither divines (druids/clerics/etc.) nor warlocks (double-checked it on live) use spell components for their high-circles. (getting piety back is easy from my experience).

also, why do you keep insisting on that "press button to win"? i genuinely don't understand.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:56 am

Tabby wrote:

Could you explain to me why annoying is a good thing, and why if it not being annoying, it would be too easy? What element does spell components add that the absence of that element would make playing a wizard so easy that its not worth the added QoL?

To add on to that, weapons and armor degrading are also an annoying tedium that doesn't add anything to the game. That's just a check on whether or not you remembered to right click all your gear before you go out into a dungeon. Getting it repaired isn't difficult or anything more than an inconvenience.

Wings of Peace

Post by Wings of Peace » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:28 pm

Tabby wrote:
Naghast wrote:
Tabby wrote:
Seriously...

it's just inconvenience.

Except someone already mentioned there's a framework for making the spell fail instead and there's examples of similar options for melee w/ geqr unequipping. I really don't see what your grievance with the idea is here aside from that you personally don't feel a need for it. You haven't even said outright that it'd make things less fun for you.

Tabby
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Tabby » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:14 am

Change the system, i dont have an issue with per say, all im saying is, why does it have to be easy? When a game becomes too easy (this change here, and all other changes that have been suggested) add them all together, the game becomes easier and less complicated. And with that more boring.

The system is quite good if you ask me.
What i mean with "press vuttom to win is":
Dont let things get too easy, its okay to have complicated mechanics in the game.

Its just that. With the new system you ask for, is just making it easier, less comodities to be sold, and so on.

And i know im a single voice in this thread, but i stand firm on it :)

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:26 am

I agree, the spell component system, and especially items degrading, adds nothing to the game other then annoyance. Same with the hunger, thirst, rest system as well.

Duchess Says

Post by Duchess Says » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:48 am

Tabby wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:14 am
Dont let things get too easy, its okay to have complicated mechanics in the game.
Components are more of a gold and time sink than a complicated mechanic. I don't think the game should be easy but they don't add difficulty like a challenging dungeon or PVP matchup or having to overcome build vulnerabilities and so on. They're busywork.

It may not seem like a distinction that matters but if we're discussing what they add to the game it isn't +difficulty+, it's a way to slow wizards down (from casting high level spells, and to make them spend time or money to prepare) and to introduce a consumable that spurs the economy. Discussion of whether they should be removed ought to address what the effects would be on those factors not shaming players for wanting an "I win" button.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:09 pm

Tikin wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:00 pm
Sincra wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:30 am
The system actually supports never deleting a pouch, instead just denying the cast.
It's just not the default.
You guys should NEVER skip over what Sincra has to say ... He's a life changer! :D
Where is this option?

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:13 pm

I think an eschew materials feat is a good idea. Build less optimal for conveniences. Especially in light of all the new up to spell 8 slot classes requiring no peity or components.

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Sincra » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:37 pm

malcolm_mountainslayer wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:09 pm
Tikin wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:00 pm
Sincra wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:30 am
The system actually supports never deleting a pouch, instead just denying the cast.
It's just not the default.
You guys should NEVER skip over what Sincra has to say ... He's a life changer! :D
Where is this option?
Something I will need to make. It's inherent to the code but not accessible as an option, yet.
Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.

Naghast

Post by Naghast » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:01 pm

Tabby wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:14 am
Change the system, i dont have an issue with per say, all im saying is, why does it have to be easy? When a game becomes too easy (this change here, and all other changes that have been suggested) add them all together, the game becomes easier and less complicated. And with that more boring.

Its just that. With the new system you ask for, is just making it easier, less comodities to be sold, and so on.

And i know im a single voice in this thread, but i stand firm on it :)
Ah, i see.
And i once again agree with you... Partially.
I do believe that things should be challenging in a way, but i also think it'd be best for the challenge to lie elswhere. Like, in the encounter mechanics.
(Edit: or, it could be just encounter difficulty. However you want to call it)

Example would be a boss that periodically (long cooldown) spawns minions, and it spreads the damage it takes equally between itself and the minions it has.
Or it could have a short-lived buff it activates periodically.

(I know these are not the best examples, just something off the top of my head)
But, i do understand your stance here, finally. Which is a plus for me.

Tabby
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Tabby » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:12 pm

Perhaps :) atleast if Sincra makes an addition to it so you can not cast the spell, then i suppose there now is an option, to not destroy the pouch.
That could be a good solution. Components still needs to be crafted, but the pouch would be a one time thing instead? Thats at least a reasonable comprimise *shrug*
:)

ElvenEdibles

Post by ElvenEdibles » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:54 pm

It's a wizard/sorc tax that guarentee's 99% of wizard/sorc's will be art crafters and alchemists.