Strange Incongruent size of inventory items

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Drogo Gyslain

Strange Incongruent size of inventory items

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:42 pm

Paper.

Paper is something that, we all use. Notes and messages, items and reciepts... Paper is integral to the game.

But paper is so storable. Be they in notebooks, or in stacks...

Why when written do we have to keep letters the same size as the whole stack?

We already get Receipts from merchant vendors that are the same as paper, that only take up a 1x1 inventory square, do we necessarily need to keep Letters in a 2x2 square in an inventory?

Considering you can stack 35 notes into a notebook, it just seems a strange inconsistency that 2 pieces of paper take up more space in your inventory than a Bastard sword, yet reciepts are 1/4 the size while being mechanically identical to a written letter.

With all of the actions taken to help reduce inventory bloat and remove duplicated items, i wonder if it's time to consider shrinking papers down, at least to 1x2, so they fit in the same space as say... a potion bottle, instead of the size of a bear hide.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Strange Incongruent size of inventory items

Post by Skibbles » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:01 am

It's probably just because a lot of these items existed long before the kind of inventory bloat we have these days.

I'd really like to see some of these things get smaller too. I bought a slave the other day and the slave master gave me this HUGE 2x2 undroppable item that has no purpose other than to just list the name of the slave.

Would be very nice for some of these things to be less cumbersome.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

dominantdrowess
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by dominantdrowess » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:20 am

Skibbles wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:01 am
It's probably just because a lot of these items existed long before the kind of inventory bloat we have these days.

I'd really like to see some of these things get smaller too. I bought a slave the other day and the slave master gave me this HUGE 2x2 undroppable item that has no purpose other than to just list the name of the slave.

Saslae has owned five slaves, ever. She does not, currently, own ANY of them, and several of them are rolled, and most of them are freed. This document cannot be shown to people to prove ownership of a slave ... and it cannot be dropped.

Why does it exist? Can I be rid of it?

Drogo Gyslain

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:27 am

I hadn't even considered the Slave ownership item. All that inventory space, permenantly gone... Poor Saslae.

But yes, Documents, parchments, reciepts...

It would be good if we could have them condensed so that writs only take up a 1x1 slot.

Also, it helps immensely with putting them away in notebooks. Being able to have 30 pages in one inventory tab instead of having to clear out your entire inventory just to organize notes is cumbersome and quite annoying. Shout out to the librarian RPers of Arelith, you know the pain of trying to write a notebook that's longer than 6 pages in length.

It's a QoL thing that would really help inventory management, and give a lot more utility of the inventory space, without seeming... Insane. Cause right now? 6 written papers take up more inventory space than all the smelted metal bars I could ever hope to buy and purchase and stack into my inventory.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:17 pm

Drogo Gyslain wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:27 am
I hadn't even considered the Slave ownership item. All that inventory space, permenantly gone... Poor Saslae.

But yes, Documents, parchments, reciepts...

It would be good if we could have them condensed so that writs only take up a 1x1 slot.

Also, it helps immensely with putting them away in notebooks. Being able to have 30 pages in one inventory tab instead of having to clear out your entire inventory just to organize notes is cumbersome and quite annoying. Shout out to the librarian RPers of Arelith, you know the pain of trying to write a notebook that's longer than 6 pages in length.

It's a QoL thing that would really help inventory management, and give a lot more utility of the inventory space, without seeming... Insane. Cause right now? 6 written papers take up more inventory space than all the smelted metal bars I could ever hope to buy and purchase and stack into my inventory.
Yes, please. Any items that have no mechanical value have no reason to be bigger than 1x1.

Watchful Glare

Post by Watchful Glare » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:24 pm

Skibbles wrote:

Or making them deletable after a while. While I can understand sentimental value, you can't even drop it from your inventory even if the other characters have long since rolled.
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

Drogo Gyslain

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:22 pm

Watchful Glare wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:24 pm
Skibbles wrote:

Or making them deletable after a while. While I can understand sentimental value, you can't even drop it from your inventory even if the other characters have long since rolled.
Or even make them like reciepts so they can be written to paper and put in notebooks so the original item can be dropped but the record preserved.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:47 am

Drogo Gyslain wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:22 pm
Watchful Glare wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:24 pm
Skibbles wrote:

Or even make them like reciepts so they can be written to paper and put in notebooks so the original item can be dropped but the record preserved.
Big brain right here. That'd be really cool!
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Drogo Gyslain

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:27 pm

Another point of evidence for this - Scrolls.

Scrolls have always been 1x1 in inventory. They are used much more frequently than letters as well, and it makes alot more sense to have them be similar size.

Especially when you think to what a Scroll is, or what a scroll should be, magic scrolls are often depicted as large, bulky items as well. But they can fit in an infinitely large scroll container as well.

So between receipt papers, Writs, and other things, there are other similar items that are already treated as 1x1 instead of 2x2, of a similar function and shape that would be used to justify that these should be similar as well.

Stacks of paper make sense that 50 sheets of paper may take up more inventory space. But an individual letter should not be the same size as a small shield.