An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

dominantdrowess
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by dominantdrowess » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:30 pm

I know I've been offering a lot of feedback on weird Arelith quirks lately, but one I can't really wrap my head around is.. the way Rest Zones are designed.

The mechanics of them often make them undesirable for casters... some of them? (Such as Deepgate Manor and others) don't let you rest up past 50% ... but also don't give you rested ticks that allow casters to re-memorize spells, creating super weird scenarios where your buffs are wearing off, and you want to go somewhere, but you cannot rest.

Alchohol works for this, but it isn't a solution if you just came from a -different- rested zone with a different cap before settling down for RP in a different one. Spell durations still tick down, and there are lots of reasons why you might go, warded, into a meeting or mediation with another faction.

As it is, the whole thing feels kinda screwy, if you're moving from one meeting to another a lot, and these quirks come up a lot. I'm not a caster, so I don't really notice the difference myself until people talk about it.. but-- I know a lot of them.

To me, the easiest solution is:
... these zones should keep people fed/watered for long RP/meeting sessions.
... but rested status should still tick down (to be fair to casters) ...
... and universally let people rest up to 90%.

This allows people a bit of flexibility on timing. Particularly if people WANT to go to a dungeon right after a long, boring meeting ... but now have to wait for the caster who's had to be warded for three war-averting meetings in a row (and hense already drunk because of the last one!) and now that there's peace ... ? We can't go do a dungeon together? xD

It's ... weird and feels like an important QoL thing for spellcasters. It feels.. unusual that a bookish wizard wouldn't WANT to be in their homes, you know?
Last edited by dominantdrowess on Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Party in the forest at midnight

Re: Feedback: Rest Zones & Homes

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:39 pm

That would be nice. I've had to leave roleplay before and stand outside so my rest meter would go down. It would be nice if I didn't have to leave roleplay because of area flags.

Distant Relation

Post by Distant Relation » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:41 pm

I like this idea. That is all.

LichBait

Post by LichBait » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:41 pm

+1

Current
Ayiesha Dahyarif
Ilphaeryl Xun'viir

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:15 pm

You can rest even with above 50% rest if certain time period since the last rest has elapsed.

dominantdrowess
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by dominantdrowess » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:11 pm

If that helped very often, it wouldn't be an issue we were talking about. ;-P

Arienette
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Arienette » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:36 pm

This is another one of those mechanics that are designed to serve a purpose, and usually do, but sometimes create weird incentives in certain situations.

Another example is the writ over-lvl system. I’ve found myself in a situation twice recently where it made sense for me to lens home after completing a writ rather than “accidentally” lvl up while traveling back, to avoid an over-lvl writ XP penalty!