Ranger Blade Thirst

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.
FingerVacation

Ranger Blade Thirst

Post by FingerVacation » Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:30 pm

Hello,

After playing around a bit with the ranger blade thirst, I've figured out that using some sort of weapon like a staff/two-bladed etc is pretty much the optimal thing to go for.

Partly because of the duration of blade thirst, but also since it only costs one spell slot to use it.
Blade thirst lasts about 1 hour with 25 ranger levels +, so It's not one of those wards you can walk around with at all times.

My proposal is that a single use of blade thirst should affect main/off-hand much like the Hexblade 'curse weapon'.
I don't see how this would affect balance in a major way for a ranger (correct me if I am wrong) it just opens up for people to use whatever weaponry they like essentially without it being too penalizing.

Thanks!

AstralUniverse

Re: Ranger Blade Thirst

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:19 pm

Ranger is pretty strong right now. The class doesnt need any buffs. Two-sided weapons require exotic prof so they got a feat tax tag on them. That feat tax opens up more weapons *and* saves you a blade thirst charge. This is a consideration that opens up different takes on what is good and offers different non-binary advantages to different weapon choices. I think it's good as is.

FingerVacation

Post by FingerVacation » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:49 pm

Staffs. The staff isn't exotic either.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:19 pm

Staff is considerably worse than exotic two-sided weapons. We arent balancing ranger around Staff anymore.

FingerVacation

Post by FingerVacation » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:32 pm

Compared to Hexblade, that can do the same sort of shenanigans as a ranger. I've some difficulty to understand the issues.
I'm not really looking to argue, I am mostly trying to understand.
To me this change would mostly open up for more choices - though I understand that there is a mechanical aspect in play as well.
Which is why I posted this initially!

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:18 pm

I'm trying to say that in my opinion, the buff you are proposing is a buff to areas where ranger is already strong enough and really needs no buffs, where as weaker options remain unaffected. Quarterstaff for example, lowest on the two-sided line of pieces, but requires no feat and saves you a blade thirst charge. It's balanced around that fact in a way, so the buff you propose would take away decision making, and make it so quarterstaff is *always* bad, and this empowers the already strong 1h options who do not need a buff. I hope this reads more clearly now.

FingerVacation

Post by FingerVacation » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:42 pm

At this point, I'm sure we can agree that we disagree on the topic!
There is always a trade, even if you don't go down the path of exotic for kukri/two-bladed. (Two-bladed is the way to go as it is right now imho.)

The fact that you don't always have blade thirst active is really something you need to take into consideration.
There is windup included, not only does it cost two slots it also forces you to spend two rounds to give yourself the ability to fight back during those moments where you least expect it. (Aka, getting jumped.)

If you're referring to things found in the loot matrix, I am aware that some items could be work very well with this.
Though it usually comes at a trade of crit range, damage or something else.

Another thing to take into consideration, is if It's a dex, or a str ranger.
I've mostly been playing around with dex rangers myself and if there is something else you'd like to add, I'll gladly hear it!

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:54 am

Ranger is plenty strong and needs no extra buff.
Plus it's not feedback this is a suggestion.

FingerVacation

Post by FingerVacation » Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:40 am

I've never said anything different.

Suggestions is locked for now which is why I posted here!

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:45 am

I really like the idea and think it would be a nice QoL for sure. This doesn't change any power differential for the ranger other than not enticing the double weapon, but rangers that don't take double weapon aren't receiving 18-20x2 in both hands either.

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:57 pm

Exotic just lets you effectively offhand a scimitar since you would otherwise scim/shortsword. It's not a big dps increase.

Also 2 weapons lets you enchant another weapon with something like disc and saves.

Most of the time I will not take exotic as I think 2 weapons is already better.
Intelligence is too important