[MEGATHREAD] Fixture Limit Reviews

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

[MEGATHREAD] Fixture Limit Reviews

Post by MalKalz » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:50 pm

Hello,

There have been requests to evaluate fixture limits in areas and it would be easier to put them all under one heading versus creating a new thread or sending a PM to the DMs (who do not have control of these limits, but can only enforce a more even divide). This will be easier for Irongron to reference as he has the ultimate say in what the fixture limits of areas should be. Specific area designs are meant to have particularly lower fixture limits to not over saturate the area with placeables and not make areas feel cramped.

In the mean time, please attempt to work with players in your areas to divide fixture limits evenly. If there is no resolution, please feel free to send a report in for a DM to evaluate it and they can work with players to reduce over cluttering. An example would be an area of 4 quarters with a fixture limit of 100. An even divide would be 25 per person; however, if someone has 80 fixtures and no one can place anything, do let us know.

Thank you.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

DM Spark

Re: [MEGATHREAD] Fixture Limit Reviews

Post by DM Spark » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:00 pm

Moving this one over to this megathread!

Would it be possible to have a fixture increase in the Elven District in Guldorand? It's a rather large space to share and the cap is only at 35.

I'm trying to put together an area to hold events more regularly, and it'd make me feel a lot less selfish with the fixture slots!

Thank you for your time!

edit by whitewingeddove: City areas/streets with notable foot traffic and NPCs are kept low on purpose, so this area will remain at 35

Want to apply for a PrC? Everything you need can be found here: Requests and PrC Applications

Reallylongunneededplayername

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:07 am

Current limit: 60.

Reasoning: the map has what it seems three quarters on it, all spacious by guess.
Currently I have only 11 fixtures.

Favored limit: 100.

Reasoning: I just need 9 more spaces, but the idea others might clutter, the 40
buffer sounds nice.

edit by whitewingeddove: this area has been adjusted already, so marking as done

(>^.^)>) * * * *<(^.^<) <-Magic missles and shield spell.

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rei_Jin » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:31 am

Favored limit: 120.

Reasoning: There are five quarters, multiple teaching spaces, and corridors, and everyone would benefit from a higher fixture limit.

edit by whitewingeddove: fixture limit increased to 120 on 10/24/23

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:28 am

Current limit: 80

Favoured limit: 120

Reasoning: The area is being used as a Museum by the Erudite Arcanum faction, with exhibits sometimes taking up multiple fixture slots. It'd be nice if this was increased to enable the area's use in this direction.

edit by whitewingeddove: this area has been adjusted already, so marking as done

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:10 pm

Going with a similar flow here:

Fixture Limit: 60

Favoured Limit: (Is this what we want it to be?) 120

Reasoning: I don't know how many other quarters share this one, but I just bought a house using this area and discovered I can only fit a single fixture in it - leaving three other rooms completely empty.

Side note: Are some older areas coded to give the fixture limit warning not in the bright red color? Both myself and a whole second player put down a number of fixtures and apparently neither of us noticed that we were exceeding the fixture limit multiple times.

Or is the big red warning only for the settlement storage? It's been quite a while since I lost a bunch of fixtures going over the limit >>

Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

IncorrigibleNev
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by IncorrigibleNev » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:44 am

Current limit: 60

There are 4 rooms (possibly a 5th for the owner of the tavern?) that also share a fixture limit with the tavern below, which is too low for a shared public space plus private rooms in my opinion. Thanks for taking a look at this!

Retratserif

Post by Retratserif » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:30 pm

Devil's Table Mansion

Recently moved a lot of stuff because of the size... 200 fixtures makes it look really empty.
Looking for 300

I have a ticket in.

edit by whitewingeddove: fixture limit increased to 280 on 10/24/23

Vyrandil Rivorndir

Post by Vyrandil Rivorndir » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:45 pm

Location: Cordor Cultural District, Noble Manor on the South-East side (Rivorndir Manor)

Current: 120

Reasoning: It is a single guildhouse that holds three interior quarters (Master Bedroom + Secondary Bedroom 1 + 2), with sizeable interior. The interior primarily has a few stock furniture and amenities, with a lot of space to fill through player fixtures and player history, allowing players to personalize it. The quarter is actively used to accommodate for significant gatherings and day to day efforts (shelves, extra tables, history pieces, paintings) - we are at the point where we are consistently at the cap.

We were hoping to be upped, enough that a guildhouse so central would not be lacking in regards to fixture limit, given its size!

Active Character: Aldros Rivorndir
Retired Characters: Gabriel Orland - Scarlet Sons

perseid

Post by perseid » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:18 pm

Fixture Limit: 100

Favoured Limit: 110-120

Reasoning: The Wharftown Manor is interesting because in theory the 100 limit is okayish. The caveat is that it's the sort of area that benefits from, and I would say invites, tinkering with the lighting via fixtures to calibrate the 'mood' which given the size of the place can be fairly fixture intensive depending on tastes. It's also an interesting structure since as one of the few (maybe only?) single lease guild houses it can be managed as a personal quarter in which case the benefit of a raised fixture limit goes down. Similarly though, in this instance too I think that a higher limit would invite more interesting uses of the space since it /does/ have the ability to compartmentalize via its one internal lease and so in a lot of ways it's a very attractive structure for running a faction out of and by extension a higher limit would make it more of easily personalized by a variety of people at the same time. The 100 limit is stiill generous but from what I can tell a lot of it is eaten by unremovable fixtures which imo are neat additions but which do make the otherwise abundant seeming 100 limit a bit misleading.

helitron

Post by helitron » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:27 pm

Favored limit: 120.

Reasoning: Guild house with three quarters and a common larger area that would benefit from an increased fixture limit.

edit by whitewingeddove: fixture limit increased to 80 on 10/24/23

Rolled characters:
William Bones; Durk Rotgrun; Hector Bartholomew; Rali Runehammer; Daris Blake; Nathaniel Silvers; Mordarok; Guy Silvers; Shayleth Shadowblood

LichBait

Post by LichBait » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:44 pm

Current Limit: 60

Favored Limit: 100

Reasoning: Two floor place that could use a little bit of wiggle room to make the rooms feel fleshed out.

edit by whitewingeddove: fixture limit increased to 75 on 10/24/23

Current
Ayiesha Dahyarif
Ilphaeryl Xun'viir

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Mon May 30, 2022 5:42 am

[The 2 areas for Quarters, not the actual Guildhouse itself; all 3 areas are identically named]

Favored Limit: 180, or 120

Reasoning: The Guildhouse features 6 side-quarters that are all really spacious (i.e., no static furniture save for a single static bed plopped down awkwardly in the middle of the room) rooms that are just begging to be decorated - it's a really good space to work with, creatively, because they're so empty and a good size. Unfortunately, each set of 3 quarters shares a 60-fixture count. Given their size and otherwise complete emptiness, each of these quarters could easily fit the better part of 60 fixtures on their own and still risk looking a bit empty and unlived in. A little extra love here wouldn't hurt these areas at all.

It might also be a little boon for whoever owns the Guildhouse, since they're now responsible for ensuring that 7 quarters and 6 shops are actively occupied now, with renewed and more active reinforcement of the Guildhouse rules. Making these quarters more attractive to a wider array of tenants would make that a much easier task.

what would fred rogers do?

Stop. Ninja Time

Post by Stop. Ninja Time » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:34 pm

The entire town of Bendir and surrounding areas

Favored Limit: 120-180

Reasoning: Bendir is an entire city with:

• Multiple garden plots near to houses
  • Houses that have upper/lower sections (like a balcony)
  • Houses that have wide empty areas around them
  • A farm house
  • A graveyard with gravestones
  • A seating area near the boards that is entirely player made benches

All together it's been at the 60 limit for ages now and those that live in the area can't really utilize the space.

edit by whitewingeddove: City areas/streets with notable foot traffic and NPCs are kept low on purpose. After reviewing the area and seeing the fixture spread and seeing the farm plot limits, 60 seems like an appropriate fixture limit for this area.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:19 pm

(I don't know if there are multiple "Guldorand (Elven Quarter) Interiors", but this is the one with 5 huge quarters inside of it, including the Elven Quarter's shop-quarter combo.)

Current Limit: 195

Favored Limit: 290-300

Reasoning: The area is shared by 5 quarters that are all large and spacious - they're absolutely lovely quarters, but 39 fixtures per quarter is nowhere near enough to make them not feel threadbare and empty: especially when you've got at least one quarter with a public foyer to decorate as well.

So far as I can tell, this area has the lowest fixture count for a multiple-quarter area in Guldorand, despite having a substantial number of quarters and some of the largest quarters in a shared quarter area - I've been told that the multi-quarter areas in the Freeport/Guldorand proper have a 250-300ish fixture limit; and even the new "Guldorand Tenements" area has a 290 fixture count despite being home to only 6 small Nomad Apartment-tier quarters with no common area to also decorate.

edit by whitewingeddove: fixture limit increased to 300 on 10/24/23

what would fred rogers do?

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by cornelius_4 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:34 pm

Location: Underdark (Shipyard) Treadstone Locks (House), at the character arrow in the map.

Favoured Limit: 90 - 120

We are hitting the limit. I know there is at least 1 other house, but the inside map looks to fit about 3 houses in total. My house and my neighbour has a decently sized living room, decent sized bedroom and a smaller storage area. Fixtures in the living room and bedroom really help make it feel lived in and the areas have enough size that about 30-40 fixtures fit there comfortably.

Kohlim

Post by Kohlim » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:13 am

Favored limit: 90.

Reasoning: This is such a huge area, with lot of houses, shops and fixtures lying around.

This is also a strategic place for all kind of advertising, being a major crossing point for players entering and leaving Cordor.

This is a really cool place to create roleplay with fixtures, message boards or else, and the current limit does not really allow it.

Unless there is a technical or a performance reason to a limit in that area, I think allowing 30 more fixtures would be beneficial to many (including me, for sure, even tho I only need 3 or 4!).

edit by whitewingeddove: City areas/streets with notable foot traffic and NPCs are kept low on purpose, so this area will remain at 60

MarkRed

Post by MarkRed » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:25 am

Current limit: 196

Favored limit: 240???

Reasoning: All the Brog clan halls are on the same map, all 8 of them, and each get about 24 fixture for as big of places as they all are which leaves very little room for well...anything.

We've asked in the past to see if the rooms could be split into two maps, each with four on them and have the limits increased to atleast 30, what other smaller quarters get elsewhere.

Table&Chair Brick Wall | RedKnight Quartermaster | World's friendliest Tormite | Average Book Enjoyer Luskan | Stutter Elf Archer | Pie Goddess' #1 Fan | Best Slave Luskan | Deadpanned Luskan |

Communication, the only thing that matters.

Frailman
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Frailman » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:32 pm

Favored limit: ..maybe 120?

Reasoning: The current limit is the same as the inside of my home, whereas the lighthouse has a limit of like 200. There's a bunch of us trying to liven the place up and it's a lot of fun. We'd like to be able to place more things :)

edit by whitewingeddove: City areas/streets with notable foot traffic are kept low on purpose, so this area will remain at 60

Aradin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aradin » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:16 pm

Favoured limit: 90
Reasoning: Though a 60-fixture limit is plenty for the two quarters in the keep, those of us who roleplay there would like to add some fixtures to the several empty rooms/alcoves scattered around the area and make them spaces where we can roleplay rather than just empty rooms.

edit by whitewingeddove: fixture limit increased to 80 on 10/24/23

Was Lloyd Grimm, Sai Aung-K'yi, Stink Spellworped, Ikarus, and Revyn the White.

Arkadia Vaskerkin

Post by Arkadia Vaskerkin » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:34 am

Hello,
I purchased a quarter in the Crow's Nest near the drydocks ley (called Frozenfar) and while there are precious few fixtures inside, I keep getting a warning that I'm at 60 of 60 fixtures.

I spoke to DM Corruption who said it was a fixture limit across multiple rooms in the same area and that if I put in a ticket, the limit could be upped by area devs.

Favoured limit: 90-120
Reasoning: The house next to mine has all of the fixtures, while I have maybe 10. Maybe. I had to get rid of most of the character's fixtures in the move and now the quarter is just rather vacant and sad-looking.

Thank you!

Disaster Lesbian

Post by Disaster Lesbian » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:46 pm

Current limit: 80.

Favored limit: 100.

Reasoning: The Noble Estate has a lot of floor space, which seems designed to have more than a single person or even two to reside in, especially given how many bedrooms the building possesses (One Master Bedroom, two guest rooms with two beds each, and a room for Alfred the Butler). Given how much floor space is available, and what I assume is unshared housing with other quarters - upping the fixture limit would allow for more players to reside and create a further communal roleplaying space, and provide further opportunities to create fixtures and Roleplay within

Player Of:
Veisha Calan - Active;
Vanna Orthae-Orseeva - Shelved
Liliana Elossa - Rolled; Fighting Fiends in Avernus
Szol Shadowclaw - Rolled; Gone to rend kneecaps

Sariah N'landroshien - Rolled; Has become one with the Hag

Ascended Mage

Post by Ascended Mage » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:55 am

Guldorand (Fortress City)

Currently: 30
Suggestion: 100-200

Reason:
This areas very large and in this area includes in itself not only city but some wildnerness parts.
Picture points out most obvious RP spots for any fixtures. And for that large area only 30 fixtures. That is fixture crime.

Same goes for area

Guldorand (City Port)
Current: 35
Suggestion: 100 or more.

Reasons:
This area also have parts of three different tiny areas. Free Port, City and part of wildnerness. Each of them have a lot of space for possible fixtures but current limit for 35 makes it all sad.

edit by whitewingeddove: These areas have a very low fixture count by design, and was confirmed by Irongron. City areas/streets with notable foot traffic and NPCs are kept low on purpose, so these areas will remain at 30/35

Emoishyo

Post by Emoishyo » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:43 pm

(Area ResRef: Guldelfquart_hou)

Current limit:
150 (75 per quarter)

Favoured limit:
250 (125 per quarter)

Reasoning:
The quarters are considered mansions by virtually anyone who sees them, with 3 floors and large open spaces complete with empty walls. I believe the increase of the limit would give some creative freedom without feeling like we're forced to choose a room to deny or compromise with.
It also gives the breathing room of a few fixtures to not push the limit up until its very edge.

edit by whitewingeddove: fixture limit increased to 200 on 10/24/23

Complex
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Complex » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:59 am

Favoured limit: 80/120

Reasoning: The Hall of Alteration has five quarters, a classroom, and an anti-magic chamber. These are quite a lot of rooms for a single area, and magic RP often comes with several fixtures attached. Even with two quarters being up for sale and completely empty, the place was its fixture limit already. Thank you!