Gift of the Explorer - Risk of Metagaming?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Gift of the Explorer - Risk of Metagaming?

Post by Morgy » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:45 pm

Currently this Loremaster gift allows the reveal of maps and also the contents of any unexplored areas that come across your screen - including those hidden areas and locked/secret quarters.

This currently allows players to identify items within quarters that would be completely unknown about IC, or worse, see fixtures that have tags or descriptions revealing the owner of 'hidden ownership' quarters.

Would it be possible to have maps fully explored, without revealing on the main screen what is not in line of sight?

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: Gift of the Explorer - Risk of Metagaming?

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:12 pm

Morgy wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:45 pm
Currently this Loremaster gift allows the reveal of maps and also the contents of any unexplored areas that come across your screen - including those hidden areas and locked/secret quarters.

This currently allows players to identify items within quarters that would be completely unknown about IC, or worse, see fixtures that have tags or descriptions revealing the owner of 'hidden ownership' quarters.

Would it be possible to have maps fully explored, without revealing on the main screen what is not in line of sight?
It's one or the other without expensive visibility scripts that will create lag, to my understanding. Either the mini-map is fully explored, or it isn't- and if the mini-map is explored, it does it through code that eliminates the Fog of War and thus, reveals whatever's within it, whether or not it's in line of sight or not.

Morgy

Post by Morgy » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:16 pm

In Sorrow We Trust wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:12 pm
Morgy wrote:

It's one or the other without expensive visibility scripts that will create lag, to my understanding. Either the mini-map is fully explored, or it isn't- and if the mini-map is explored, it does it through code that eliminates the Fog of War and thus, reveals whatever's within it, whether or not it's in line of sight or not.
Ah, I see!

Well, personally my preference would be to protect IC investments of secrecy, rather than the minimap which isn't super useful 95% of the time where people navigate by vision ahead or pure memory.

That's just my preference though. The gift is still worth it with the sailing and tracking boosts, besides!

noj

Post by noj » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:29 pm

Morgy wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:16 pm
Morgy wrote:

Ah, I see!

Well, personally my preference would be to protect IC investments of secrecy, rather than the minimap which isn't super useful 95% of the time where people navigate by vision ahead or pure memory.

That's just my preference though. The gift is still worth it with the sailing and tracking boosts, besides!
"95% of the time" is a bit of an much I think. The entire group of people I play with (and originally came to the server with) still use the map to navigate because we haven't spent several years on these maps to commit them all to memory. I don't think removing a QOL thing for people to be able to navigate easier is a good response to "some people MIGHT use it to metagame"

Or just don't label your evil necromancer closet "Lucy's Super Evil Collection of Dresses and Dead people"

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:22 am

People actually do this stuff. I saw people asking a DM if their characters could see through a window on a quarter door to see some object inside the quarter. It's unfortunate that people are like this, I agree with disabling mechanics that let people see into quarters.

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:03 am

How about turning it off in areas with quarters?

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:22 am

Huge shoutout to the team for the fast fix on this, thank you.

Morgy

Post by Morgy » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:54 am

noj wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:29 pm
Morgy wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:16 pm

Ah, I see!

"95% of the time" is a bit of an much I think. The entire group of people I play with (and originally came to the server with) still use the map to navigate because we haven't spent several years on these maps to commit them all to memory. I don't think removing a QOL thing for people to be able to navigate easier is a good response to "some people MIGHT use it to metagame"

Or just don't label your evil necromancer closet "Lucy's Super Evil Collection of Dresses and Dead people"
Okay maybe 95% was a bit high, but the consequence of metagaming in ways like this can severely impact PCs stories in an unfair manner.

Also, I'm more referring to peoples ability to examine fixtures, not just see the name label of them.

But this has been fixed anyway, so, thanks fixers!!

Rievetel

Post by Rievetel » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:37 pm

There was a suggested update over having fixed the visibility of areas on the map and for characters. The suggestion that [Secret Knowledge: Explorer] will only work in natural areas should simply exclude all areas that are involved with cities, towns, and quarters which have no transitions between quarters. I can still see inside every player owned room and examine all of their fixtures without ever opening the door and with a wall in the way.

TLDR: Is it possible to just make maps like Taverns, Cloven Hoof, Vaults and Sibayad interiors an exception for a player to not have the floor plan of?

I may have misread the recent upcoming updates if this was not yet implemented from the most recent reset from this time posted 3.26.22

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Sincra » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:58 pm

The update will prevent areas tagged as artificial from being revealed.

As per:
https://nwnlexicon.com/index.php?title=GetIsAreaNatural
Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:11 am

Does this fix include dungeons? It would be quite unfortunate if dungeons were also no longer visible.

Metagamers are why we can't have nice things 😭

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:30 am

MissEvelyn wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:11 am
Does this fix include dungeons? It would be quite unfortunate if dungeons were also no longer visible.

Most dungeons are probably marked natural. If that's not the case, well ...

I'll have to make a case statement to cross check area resrefs that have quarters and that's gonna be.....

.....a lot of work.

keep me posted.

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:10 am

MissEvelyn wrote:

I share your feelings! Thou I must admit, being able to see what the quarters looks like is great, but how would that become a problem is beyond me...
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rei_Jin » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:18 pm

Well, say someone has a quarter in a public access area, like a tavern, and they never let anyone in their room, but they have a named shrine to Bane in it.

With the secret of the explorer you can see that through the wall.

With the change so natural areas only are where it works, that can’t happen (except in niche cases)

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:10 pm

Rei_Jin wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:18 pm
Well, say someone has a quarter in a public access area, like a tavern, and they never let anyone in their room, but they have a named shrine to Bane in it.

With the secret of the explorer you can see that through the wall.

With the change so natural areas only are where it works, that can’t happen (except in niche cases)
Why can't people just not metagame that knowledge? Your character has no way of knowing that shrine exists, even if you as the player knows. You may know the layout of the building, but not that each room contains a shrine to Bane.

I know, I know. Expecting such courtesy is asking way too much 😔

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:20 pm

Honestly think it would be better if it was turned off only in areas that have quarters instead of natural vs not but I understand that would probably be a lot more work.

As for metagaming I think much of the server is mature enough not to do it outright but it's like with disguise or trying to conceal being a necromancer or warlock, even those who are making an effort not to metagame will be conscious of what they know and it will affect RP. Not always to their advantage, sometimes they overcompensate to make sure they don't use forbidden info (and even refuse to pick up clues IG) which is admirable but also not ideal. Knowing something you're not supposed to can actually be a burden if you're not the kind to take advantage of it and I think it's just better all around to keep some secrets hidden as much as possible for as long as possible.

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:58 pm

Eyeliner wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:20 pm
Honestly think it would be better if it was turned off only in areas that have quarters instead of natural vs not but I understand that would probably be a lot more work.

As for metagaming I think much of the server is mature enough not to do it outright but it's like with disguise or trying to conceal being a necromancer or warlock, even those who are making an effort not to metagame will be conscious of what they know and it will affect RP. Not always to their advantage, sometimes they overcompensate to make sure they don't use forbidden info (and even refuse to pick up clues IG) which is admirable but also not ideal. Knowing something you're not supposed to can actually be a burden if you're not the kind to take advantage of it and I think it's just better all around to keep some secrets hidden as much as possible for as long as possible.
exorbitant amounts of work.

it was easier to switch it to natural areas only

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:09 am

I don't think most people would metagame, but the problem is it only takes 1 person to metagame and then the secret is out and will be circulated by well meaning players who have no idea that information was obtained by metagaming.

Tabby
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Tabby » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:08 am

Eyeliner wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:03 am
How about turning it off in areas with quarters?
Yup.. my thougts exactly.. map reveal is only for outside nature anyway, seems like a map isnt suppose to reveal itself?

Dormant Character: Tabitha Fuzzypaw - Shelved, searching all corners for treasures and secrets.
Misty Scrollsinger - Still searching answers, but is now elsewhere

Rolled Character: Björn Njald - sailed on new adventures

Tabby
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Tabby » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:10 am

MissEvelyn wrote:

I agree.. its sad :(

Dormant Character: Tabitha Fuzzypaw - Shelved, searching all corners for treasures and secrets.
Misty Scrollsinger - Still searching answers, but is now elsewhere

Rolled Character: Björn Njald - sailed on new adventures

ElvenEdibles

Post by ElvenEdibles » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:55 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Hypothetical metagamers. Had there actually been a case of this happening?

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:28 pm

Yes, I've seen people do it, asking a DM if they could see through the window in the door of a quarter to see things inside. If people can see into a quarter they will try to do these things.

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:00 pm

ElvenEdibles wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:55 pm
Hypothetical metagamers. Had there actually been a case of this happening?
If someone knows something they shouldn't, especially a secret you're hiding, their behavior changes. Not easy to prove but it's easy to tell. Maybe they're unreasonably cagey about the character or go out of their way to expose them with something they can prove. Maybe they drop vague hints or post anonymous notes to expose them. I've seen that many times.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:18 am

There are so many meta-game-able things in this server. Most secret/evil classes are quite ez pz to spot. We are all very much used to filtering a lot of stuff we see so we keep things immersive and honest. Most of us know these cities and dungeons by heart, where the bosses and where the chests are, but we give the spotlight to the group's guide/scout and are happy to play ignorant. I think the community in this server actually holds a respectful high standard in this regard. People who seek to win over good story are easy to spot. we all know how they play like in game and we frown at them. I speak as someone who constantly plays warlocks and other evil folk on the surface and I gotta give this community a lot of credit here. I havent been meta-gamed in the past few years and the hunger for interesting stories seems to overcome the need to win, for most players. Just really wanted to say that. I'm not against the change tho because it actually fits the Secret of Explorer thematically and also think about all the times you meta-gamed someone's name by an innocent mistake....
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Edgar Midgar

Post by Edgar Midgar » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:09 am

I'm doing the loremaster class with this feat.
And I've done the ranger class.

THE SOLUTION COULD BE AND (FOR ME) MAKE THE CLASS MORE ENJOYABLE DO

make a mix between the "map reveal revisited (wilderness) also konw as 'wilderness map' "and the "secret knowledge of the explorer".

What it will be fine should be: 1) make the whole maps invisible
2) one time that you discovered an area let that area visible always (like the wilderness map of the ranger but opened for all areas)
3) add the other skills of the secret knowledge of the explore.

Doing so you will have a loremaster that doesn't start with all areas rivealed, but has to make exploration and the areas didn't seen will remain not seen. I think.