[PGCC] Dirgesinger Feedback

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

AstralUniverse

Re: [PGCC] Dirgesinger Feedback

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:32 am

ZombieDuck wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:36 am
I'd be interested in seeing someone make Dirgesinger on a paladin build to really focus on the undead hunting theme.
The problem is that the ways to qualify to this class are:
3 bard
6 cleric evangelist
3 master harper
That's it.

None of which really scream out "melee build". Then you try to do 16 pala, 4 bard, 10 ds, or 16 bard 4 paladin 10 ds and you're almost as bad as a melee div bard without ds in it, in total. It's an improvement for melee bard, dont get me wrong, but it doesnt address the reason it's bad and it remains bad. The closest thing to a 'melee bard' right now would be 4 bard 10 knight 16 pm. So if you want to hunt undead and you have paladin levels in your build, then you should go 27 paladin 3 bard/rogue.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:12 am

Rico_scorpion wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:00 am
I feel awakening is key to the undead themed ds, but the "good ds" theme is vastly underpowered in comparison / lacking an iconic feat.

Unless i missed something of course.
Once again:
- Momento Mori damage is very high on undead, and spammable.
- Your Bard Song stuns enemy undead.

Do you have a more specific idea?

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:05 pm

In Sorrow We Trust wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:12 am
Rico_scorpion wrote:
I feel awakening is key to the undead themed ds, but the "good ds" theme is vastly underpowered in comparison / lacking an iconic feat.

Once again:

If I remember correctly banishment/dismissal do not block having new undead animating as it's not a summoning effect in lore. Having an alternative ability that performs a banish/dismissal against all, but then only blocks undead animating for x second (they're entranced/lulled before they even claw their way out of the ground etc) could be thematic.

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:00 pm

xanrael wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:05 pm
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:12 am
Rico_scorpion wrote:

Once again:

If I remember correctly banishment/dismissal do not block having new undead animating as it's not a summoning effect in lore. Having an alternative ability that performs a banish/dismissal against all, but then only blocks undead animating for x second (they're entranced/lulled before they even claw their way out of the ground etc) could be thematic.
Not a bad idea but a little niche. I'll consider something.

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:27 pm

It looks like the epic necromancy feat from taking GSF, at dirgesinger 10, doesn't give the radial create greater undead.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

TurningLeaf
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by TurningLeaf » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:06 pm

Not sure if cleric evangelist should get dirgesinger synergy but it makes at least a little sense.

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:34 am

Drowboy wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:27 pm
It looks like the epic necromancy feat from taking GSF, at dirgesinger 10, doesn't give the radial create greater undead.
Not even under the Epic Spells menu?
TurningLeaf wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:06 pm
Not sure if cleric evangelist should get dirgesinger synergy but it makes at least a little sense.
I've yet to look and see if Evangelist/Dirgesinger is viable yet. I know it is possible to do though.

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:45 am

Firstly, let me apologize if this should have been its own thread. My topic is going to focus more on the splash damage 30 bard is getting, but since when this came up on discord someone who likely has access to the "behind the scenes" conversation mentioned that these things now had to account for the dirge singer, I figured the two were related.

Second, let me apologize because this might get a bit long.

So, the changes to expertise and discipline...

-The expertise thing I'm still not sure on, because on one hand I get that damage is pretty good on curse since it forces your opponent to choose between removing the curse and risk taking more damage or waiting a bit to heal up before removing the curse. On the other hand, loosing 10 ac for a dex 30 bard is pretty awful. Loosing that much on a strength 30 bard is character breaking. I need to see lich damage in practice since it still wasn't doing damage to the AI as of this last weekend to fully come up with an opinion on this, but its definitely something I am concerned about for my character going forward.

As a side note, the timing is a but wonky too. Comparing it to taunt, taunt takes up an entire round, and drops expertise at the end of the action. That means that you can often reapply it right after it drops leaving you only open to one flurry. Curse song now drops it at the begining of the round as the action starts, which means not only that you are down expertise longer its possible you may be looking at two rounds. The way expertise toggles, if you don't hit it at the right time sometimes it just doesn't apply. And even if you notice it, you are going to have to wait another round to get it on. All of this is pushing bard toward being the most micromanagy class in the game.

-The discipline thing I am baffled by. Thats not to say I can't see the arguments, I can. +17 discipline sounds like a lot to get for no investment (even though bard song gave +19 to all the skills for 20 years with one song and was never an issue). But the truth is that there is an investment. Getting to 70 perform is not automatic, especially for dex bards. And even at +17 disc those dex bards are still going to have one of the lowest disciplines on the server more often than not, because people make them to get people out sailing. So thats two epic focuses right there. I got more to say about the potential effects on sailing down the line, but getting back on topic of all the skill songs that I could see getting nerfed the disc songs were way down on my list. Discipline is not one of those skills that the more you have the better, there is a threshold, so these songs won't make the party suddenly discipline monsters. They likely already are, because everyone is and unless you are willing to only log in when your bard is around it seems like a loosing bet to skimp and rely on that plus 17. So all this accomplishes is making the bard easier to kill. Maybe that's the goal, but I hope you understand that if you make it too easy no one is going to play bards. And I didn't even touch the fact that shifting songs is not an instant action, it takes a round.

As my second side note of this post, I know there is going to be some pushback to the above. I get it, you look at all the goodies on paper and say wtf this is super powerful. But I challenge those people to actually play a bard to 30 before they make bold claims. While leveling it up and maxing out its gear for pvp on the pgcc is fine for testing, it doesn't take into account the long journey to get there (its a very gear intensive class), or all the other choices you have to make along the way to be good at something like sailing, or *gasp* qbreaking.

So, now that that's out of the way, lets bring it back to dirgesinger. First off I want to say that I love what was done with this class, and if i hadn't made a bard a week before these things were first announced I would be all over trying it out. It looks really cool. But if other builds are getting nerfed because of the potential synergies with this class, something is wrong in my opinion. And even if you disagree with that opinion, you have to understand that right now sailing lives and dies by the presence of 30 bards. You can make the argument that people are too obsessed with their sail score out of fear of coming out on the losing end, and i wouldn't disagree. I've poked my nose into most of the big sailing crews that have existed or do exist, and its the one constant theme. But that's where we are. That changes if bards become less essential to sailing of course, but I'm sure its not an easy fix since if you do something like remove sea shanties suddenly wisdom based classes become the new bards. So its not like a swift change is definitely around the corner. My point being, if you make 30 bards unplayable, you also hurt all that new sail content at least in the short term. We need more sailors, not less.

Anyhow, let me double down on my preamble apologies and head on out of here. Thanks for reading.

TurningLeaf
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by TurningLeaf » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:36 am

Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:34 am
TurningLeaf wrote:
I've yet to look and see if Evangelist/Dirgesinger is viable yet. I know it is possible to do though.
20/10 with Death/Undeath domains seems like it could be amusing

Scraps

Post by Scraps » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:07 am

Excited for the Evangelist potential as well, feels like there's a lot of room for Kelemvorite/Jergal 'repose' themed characters in addition to the more undead-centric evil lads.

Not certain if Dirgesinger will qualify as bard levels for Evangilist scaling though, if not that seems like it'll be pretty crippling.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:40 am

I think this class should give CL (or at least cl vs dispels) to more classes, not just bard. Paladin, Hexblade, Ranger for example ... all of which have good scaling in epics and would trade a bunch of good things and stats to have 10 dirge levels (and at least 3+ bard to qualify). That would open the class to more synergy and more builds and I currently cant think of a game breaking build coming out of it.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:11 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:40 am
I think this class should give CL (or at least cl vs dispels) to more classes, not just bard. Paladin, Hexblade, Ranger for example ... all of which have good scaling in epics and would trade a bunch of good things and stats to have 10 dirge levels (and at least 3+ bard to qualify). That would open the class to more synergy and more builds and I currently cant think of a game breaking build coming out of it.
It does.

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:17 am

Babylon System is the Vampire wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:45 am
Firstly, let me apologize if this should have been its own thread. My topic is going to focus more on the splash damage 30 bard is getting, but since when this came up on discord someone who likely has access to the "behind the scenes" conversation mentioned that these things now had to account for the dirge singer, I figured the two were related.

Second, let me apologize because this might get a bit long.

So, the changes to expertise and discipline...

-The expertise thing I'm still not sure on, because on one hand I get that damage is pretty good on curse since it forces your opponent to choose between removing the curse and risk taking more damage or waiting a bit to heal up before removing the curse. On the other hand, loosing 10 ac for a dex 30 bard is pretty awful. Loosing that much on a strength 30 bard is character breaking. I need to see lich damage in practice since it still wasn't doing damage to the AI as of this last weekend to fully come up with an opinion on this, but its definitely something I am concerned about for my character going forward.

As a side note, the timing is a but wonky too. Comparing it to taunt, taunt takes up an entire round, and drops expertise at the end of the action. That means that you can often reapply it right after it drops leaving you only open to one flurry. Curse song now drops it at the begining of the round as the action starts, which means not only that you are down expertise longer its possible you may be looking at two rounds. The way expertise toggles, if you don't hit it at the right time sometimes it just doesn't apply. And even if you notice it, you are going to have to wait another round to get it on. All of this is pushing bard toward being the most micromanagy class in the game.

-The discipline thing I am baffled by. Thats not to say I can't see the arguments, I can. +17 discipline sounds like a lot to get for no investment (even though bard song gave +19 to all the skills for 20 years with one song and was never an issue). But the truth is that there is an investment. Getting to 70 perform is not automatic, especially for dex bards. And even at +17 disc those dex bards are still going to have one of the lowest disciplines on the server more often than not, because people make them to get people out sailing. So thats two epic focuses right there. I got more to say about the potential effects on sailing down the line, but getting back on topic of all the skill songs that I could see getting nerfed the disc songs were way down on my list. Discipline is not one of those skills that the more you have the better, there is a threshold, so these songs won't make the party suddenly discipline monsters. They likely already are, because everyone is and unless you are willing to only log in when your bard is around it seems like a loosing bet to skimp and rely on that plus 17. So all this accomplishes is making the bard easier to kill. Maybe that's the goal, but I hope you understand that if you make it too easy no one is going to play bards. And I didn't even touch the fact that shifting songs is not an instant action, it takes a round.

As my second side note of this post, I know there is going to be some pushback to the above. I get it, you look at all the goodies on paper and say wtf this is super powerful. But I challenge those people to actually play a bard to 30 before they make bold claims. While leveling it up and maxing out its gear for pvp on the pgcc is fine for testing, it doesn't take into account the long journey to get there (its a very gear intensive class), or all the other choices you have to make along the way to be good at something like sailing, or *gasp* qbreaking.

So, now that that's out of the way, lets bring it back to dirgesinger. First off I want to say that I love what was done with this class, and if i hadn't made a bard a week before these things were first announced I would be all over trying it out. It looks really cool. But if other builds are getting nerfed because of the potential synergies with this class, something is wrong in my opinion. And even if you disagree with that opinion, you have to understand that right now sailing lives and dies by the presence of 30 bards. You can make the argument that people are too obsessed with their sail score out of fear of coming out on the losing end, and i wouldn't disagree. I've poked my nose into most of the big sailing crews that have existed or do exist, and its the one constant theme. But that's where we are. That changes if bards become less essential to sailing of course, but I'm sure its not an easy fix since if you do something like remove sea shanties suddenly wisdom based classes become the new bards. So its not like a swift change is definitely around the corner. My point being, if you make 30 bards unplayable, you also hurt all that new sail content at least in the short term. We need more sailors, not less.

Anyhow, let me double down on my preamble apologies and head on out of here. Thanks for reading.
None of those changes had anything to do with Dirgesinger.

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:57 pm

My bad then, I guess I got it wrong.

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:32 pm

Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:34 am
Drowboy wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:27 pm
Not even under the Epic Spells menu?
TurningLeaf wrote:
Nothing on epic spells or class radials or the subrace widget. The epic necro feat does show on the feat list, though.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:15 pm

Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:11 am
AstralUniverse wrote:
It does.
What.... do you mean....? O.O
I can do 16 paladin (or ranger) 4 bard 10 dirgesinger and have 26 CL spellbook?
Svrtr wrote:

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:28 pm

According to the class description IG you'd get full turning ranks from dirgesinger too.

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:31 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:15 pm
Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:11 am
AstralUniverse wrote:
It does.
What.... do you mean....? O.O
I can do 16 paladin (or ranger) 4 bard 10 dirgesinger and have 26 CL spellbook?
Per the wiki: CL on Bard spells (only). Dispel protection counts freely.

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:34 pm

Might be worth porting this bit over to the wiki (assuming it hasn't been already)

So it counts vs dispel for whatever class, basically, if I'm reading this right.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:04 pm

Oh! cool. I missed that part.

So it means there are some interesting synergies all over the place and some cool suboptimal memes I'd play anyway.

Just on top of my head.. 16 ranger with 26 cl vs dispels doesnt seem that terrible. doesnt need cha and can qualify for blood lust even. gets nature sense on 16th too. Paladin, same idea. Gets long aura of glory, holysword, bless weapon +3. Caster cleric evangelist 17/3/10 (or maybe 20/10 if you dont need bard to unlock something important?) seems alright. The fact that it's 10 levels for lasting inspiration, has cl vs dispels with everything and has discipline and tumble put it in a very useful spot. I like it a lot. if anything at all, I'd just give it 1:2 scaling with bard song because anything functional that isnt PM or cleric doesnt add any song cl on top of the 3-4 bard level you want in total. if it was even 5 bard song cl it would give 1 ac at least.
Last edited by AstralUniverse on Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Svrtr wrote:

Aren

Post by Aren » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:09 pm

Scraps wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:07 am
Excited for the Evangelist potential as well, feels like there's a lot of room for Kelemvorite/Jergal 'repose' themed characters in addition to the more undead-centric evil lads.

Not certain if Dirgesinger will qualify as bard levels for Evangilist scaling though, if not that seems like it'll be pretty crippling.
Big think here. Could be a fun build if it worked.

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

ZombieDuck

Post by ZombieDuck » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:06 pm

Tried 17 B.Priest/3 Bard/10 Dirge on PGCC and seemed to get pretty decent stats, but it got dispelled by Dracolich(Summoned from the arena).
I thought 10 Dirge would add dispel CL to cleric and Battle Priests +3 vs Dispel would mean it has 30 vs Dispels, am I missing something?
Forever a duckling.
Character: Typically some Orog in UD

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:37 pm

ZombieDuck wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:06 pm
Tried 17 B.Priest/3 Bard/10 Dirge on PGCC and seemed to get pretty decent stats, but it got dispelled by Dracolich(Summoned from the arena).
I thought 10 Dirge would add dispel CL to cleric and Battle Priests +3 vs Dispel would mean it has 30 vs Dispels, am I missing something?
Will be fixed in my next roll-out.

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:20 pm

So the more I play with this the more I want even just feats that let you boost your curse or bard song level on non-assassins- like Eldritch Euphony? Maybe 'practiced performer,' makes your non-bard or dirge levels count for half, or 2/3rds even.

Or even for dirge to count maybe 3/4ths itself, lets a 4/10/16 have 11 bard song levels before other synergy stuff.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:44 pm

Drowboy wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:20 pm
So the more I play with this the more I want even just feats that let you boost your curse or bard song level on non-assassins- like Eldritch Euphony? Maybe 'practiced performer,' makes your non-bard or dirge levels count for half, or 2/3rds even.

Or even for dirge to count maybe 3/4ths itself, lets a 4/10/16 have 11 bard song levels before other synergy stuff.
Yeah that would be nice, considering that 4/10/16 currently only has song lvl 4 unless the 16 is a on the bard-synergy list, which is not very open.

I find it strange that the most appealing things for the class are lasting inspiration and mummy dust.

Lasting inspiration amplifies your bard song, and you dont particularly care about it for curse song, yet the class has no scaling with bard song while it's main point of appeal is lasting inspiration with just 10 levels. So eventually to get to the real value of lasting inspiration you still need to go for more than just 4 "bard song cl" levels. So you either just go deep bard and the only thing you really get is mummy dust, or you go for a bard-synergy class but what is it going to be at 16-17 levels of investment. Well, it can realistically be pm or cleric, both of which get mummy dust, or... I GUESS arcane archer... Assassin is locked and I intentionally ignore it's existence. Players who actually play that class can offer better input on that one.

over all I think this class is cool in vacuum but in regards to the rest of the classes in the game around it, it still lacks independency and some of it's scaling is counter-logic (aka, achieves lasting inspiration but has no bard song scaling - raises bard song level by a third class with synergy but that class get mummy dust without needing DS).

This can be solved by adding dirgesinger *SOME* minor, symbolic scaling with bard song. Even +1 at lvl 5 and +2 at lvl 10, or around that. I would even burn a DS feat to get +5 bardsong CL or something.
Svrtr wrote: