Arjale

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Arjale

Post by Skibbles » Sat May 14, 2022 2:30 am

Arjale has, for a long time it seems, not really held much value. Depending on the character I'd even confidently contend it is of lesser value to coal.

Having tried to sell ingots of the stuff for maybe just a couple hundred gold each, and selling none at all, I think the market speaks for itself.

But it seems to constantly spawn in the top tier areas. It's just sitting there, taunting you, as you fish out your eighth sample of blue leaf.

I think it would be nice if arjale was not the prime alternative at an adamantine node. Gold, silver, mithril, even coal, I think would make for a more valuable reward (or pity node) if the adamantine does not appear.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Party in the forest at midnight

Re: Arjale

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sat May 14, 2022 3:10 am

I wouldn't say it's useless. You use it in greensteel equipment which is great noob gear, and it goes into hardening finish.

The problem is it's not used in any consumables, and is primarily only used in smithing. Alchemy regularly uses copper, lead, silver, and gold, sometimes iron. Art uses bronze, brass, silver, gold, and iron.

Smiths can smelt their own ingots, so can mine their own arjale and don't need to buy it from other players.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Sat May 14, 2022 4:10 am

No it's not specifically useless I agree.

It just happens to overwhelmingly spawn in places where characters have no use for it because they're already well past the level in which it would have been useful as far as equipment goes.

It probably should be on the same tier as things like copper and tin so it has a higher likelihood of appear to characters that might want to utilize it promptly.

(or it might be cool as a special resources harvested near planar gates)

Not even kidding I don't think I've seen anyone mine this stuff at the end of an epic dungeon, except out of spite, for like the last fifty dungeon runs or more.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

a shrouded figure

Post by a shrouded figure » Sat May 14, 2022 5:15 am

I concur with this post. Having played multiple commons, particularly smiths, arjale is borderline worthless. It’s only “value” comes in the form of someone trying to 5% green steel armor or large shields and with the abundance of -arcane failure classes and new equipment, it’s trash. I think we should really -honestly- consider saving the game resources and removing it. I don’t need top tier equipment requiring 2 green ingots… that’s not going to make arjale suddenly become important.

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Sat May 14, 2022 9:11 am

I'm fairly certain that if you take a bunch of arjarle to one of the active sea faring crews you can get as much as one might get per chunk of mithril, or at least pretty close. If you sail a ship that can take on the bigger galleons, there is no such thing as too much arjarle.

Distant Relation

Post by Distant Relation » Sat May 14, 2022 9:39 am

Second the above. Sailor types that actively do PvE will kill for arjale in bulk.

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rei_Jin » Sat May 14, 2022 1:52 pm

Alternatively, I can say that as an alchemist it would be cool to have some uses for greensteel.

Perhaps a new alchemy fixture or two, and, as an idea, temporary defensive essences that give 10/- resistance to an element until you rest, and can only go on armors?

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Sat May 14, 2022 4:48 pm

Rei_Jin wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 1:52 pm
Alternatively, I can say that as an alchemist it would be cool to have some uses for greensteel.

Perhaps a new alchemy fixture or two, and, as an idea, temporary defensive essences that give 10/- resistance to an element until you rest, and can only go on armors?
A most lovely idea! Seeing the ore or ingot added to crafting would be nice as it is rather useless

Arienette

Post by Arienette » Sat May 14, 2022 8:07 pm

Skibbles wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 4:10 am
No it's not specifically useless I agree.

It just happens to overwhelmingly spawn in places where characters have no use for it because they're already well past the level in which it would have been useful as far as equipment goes.

It probably should be on the same tier as things like copper and tin so it has a higher likelihood of appear to characters that might want to utilize it promptly.

(or it might be cool as a special resources harvested near planar gates)

Not even kidding I don't think I've seen anyone mine this stuff at the end of an epic dungeon, except out of spite, for like the last fifty dungeon runs or more.
I’m not sure that this is true or not but I have heard it enough times that I assume it might be?

Mining the arjale nodes in epic dungeons is a community service. The nodes will only rotate after they have been mined X times.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Sat May 14, 2022 9:08 pm

There seems to be an overabundance of arjale and mithril.
Since neither of these metals can be sold to a trade tzar in town, there's very little incentive to mine them unless they're needed for a crafting project.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Sun May 15, 2022 1:58 am

Hot tip on the sailing aspects of it. I didn't know that.

What's it for exactly? I could only find it in something called Hardening Finish under carpentry.

I guess I haven't been around a large amount of sailors to ever know that, but since the UD only has one boat and an oppressive amount of arjale nodes maybe that market is swamped anyway.

Back to my original notion, though, it is my hope that this ore could be relegated to places where it's niche application is better valued and more immediately useful. Maybe sprinkle it around whatever places sailors go too?

Alternatively it would be cool if really big gem nodes could be found time to time instead, or maybe 'bullion' nodes, where like a ton of topaz could be mined or straight gold coins mined, or something. Even coal. Everyone loves coal.

Anything but just... more.... arjale... again, and again, and again.

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Sun May 15, 2022 5:14 am

Skibbles wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 1:58 am
Hot tip on the sailing aspects of it. I didn't know that.

What's it for exactly? I could only find it in something called Hardening Finish under carpentry.

+3 javalins for the heavy ballistas, the weapon of choice for taking out galleons. They are under smithing.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Sun May 15, 2022 5:27 am

Ah that explains much, thank you.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Sun May 15, 2022 9:11 am

+4 and +5 ammo is common enough loot in the sea content PvE.

I really wouldn't base any IG business plans around +3 siege ammo - it tends to collect dust in the shops and probably the best way of monetizing it is tediously selling it off to the peddler one javelin at a time.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sun May 15, 2022 12:21 pm

Valid OP, but couldn't this just be solved by moving Arjale back to the mid-level dungeons where it once spawned?

It is, by and large, a pass-through resource which you need on your way to better things.. Agree whole heartedly it should not be an epic reward.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.