Mount-Viable Areas

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Spriggan Bride

Re: Mount-Viable Areas

Post by Spriggan Bride » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:38 am

Cataclysm of Iron wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:13 pm

Is it intentional that inner city areas are mountable?

Always find it very jarring when I walk into central Cordor and someone's there on a horse lol.

You see cops on horseback in NYC, today. Why wouldn't horses be common in a medieval-fantasy city like Cordor?

Cataclysm of Iron

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:03 am

Spriggan Bride wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:38 am
Cataclysm of Iron wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:13 pm

Is it intentional that inner city areas are mountable?

Always find it very jarring when I walk into central Cordor and someone's there on a horse lol.

You see cops on horseback in NYC, today. Why wouldn't horses be common in a medieval-fantasy city like Cordor?

True, I suppose it's less a facet of how "realistic" it is to have horses in cities (as you say, you still get them today and historically they were even more common) and more about how cities in Arelith work.

They're not really bustling centres with everybody going about their business on foot or horseback as much as they are social gathering places. And it's very weird to see someone just sat on a horse in a big group having a chat - something that would be impractical and uncomfortable, and probably quite disconcerting for the unmounted conversants (horses aren't super dangerous, but standing so close to them for prolonged periods isn't exactly safe either).

Tbh though it just has big "I'm the main character" energy to me I think. Same as when you walk into a city area and see someone sparkling with buffs fit for an epic dungeon.

Xerah wrote: People have a very weird possessive nature over a lot of things in Arelith.

Kythana

Post by Kythana » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:31 pm

Kenji wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:57 am

I might just make everywhere mountable and then have players suggest where it shouldn't be mountable. (Residential areas, castles, etc.)

As someone playing a cavalier, please. There are so many dungeons with disjointed areas. Going from one portion and having to dismount, only for the next area to be mountable again.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:36 pm

Please allow the following areas to be mountable:

Area name is: Shadow Plane (Shadow Woods) West
Its dimensions are: 10 x 9
It is considered an interior and underground
You can not mount in this area.
Area ResRef: sh_forest1
Tileset ResRef: ttu01
Fixtures: 0 / 60
You can't fish here!

Area name is: Shadow Plane (Shadow Woods) East
Its dimensions are: 9 x 8
It is considered an interior and underground
Area ResRef: sh_forest2
Tileset ResRef: ttu01
Fixtures: 0 / 60
You can't fish here!

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:52 pm

Keep these -area reports coming. Also, if you guys can, post some interior areas where you /can/ mount but you think you /shouldn't/ be able to mount!

BurntGnome

Post by BurntGnome » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:12 am

Brogendenstein (The Battle Pit) Arena
Dimensions: 9x8
It is considered interior and underground.
Area ResRef: twh_brogarena
Tileset ResRef: tcn01

Need to be amount to here for duels as cav. Simple enough.

hugolino

Post by hugolino » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:29 pm

Cataclysm of Iron wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:03 am

True, I suppose it's less a facet of how "realistic" it is to have horses in cities ... And it's very weird to see someone just sat on a horse in a big group having a chat - something that would be impractical and uncomfortable, and probably quite disconcerting for the unmounted conversants

I am not a horseman, but I grew up from age 10 and up on a farm, and sometimes rode my dad's mules around (my young nephew at the time would ride them to the corner convenience store to get soda and snacks). It can definitely be comfortable and practical in real life to have a conversation while mounted with someone unmounted. Whether a mount is safe with bystanders depends on the mount, the rider, and the cluelessness of the bystander. The most important of those probably being the temperament and training of the mount itself. Our mules were gentle and could even handle parades through the town's downtown main street with all of the noise of the bands, the darting children, and people throwing stuff. Children, in particular, could get away with murder around our mules and the mules were longsuffering and gentle with them.

svet

Post by svet » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:13 am