Rituals

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Hunter548

Rituals

Post by Hunter548 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:28 pm

I'm not sure how applicable this is as yet, but;

It would probably be cool if warlocks got access to some/all arcane rituals since some of them seem very thematically fitting for warlocks and some of them even allow bards access.

It might also be cool to have rituals that are limited to warlock/bg/hexblade/pale master, as spookier/more eldritch rituals.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

AstralUniverse

Re: Rituals

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:42 pm

Yes please.

Warlock should have rituals.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:36 am

considering how warlocks on arelith are themed as alternative arcanists that got too curious for their own good (and have an interest in the mysteries of the universe) and cast a circle higher than bards do, it would make a lot of sense to have rituals.

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rei_Jin » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:43 am

Ideally, there would all sorts of rituals, but as someone who’s been part of Arelith for a few years now, I can safely say based on experience that (a) the devs are not finished with rituals and will be adding more, (b) all rituals are subject to adjustment, and (c) constructive feedback is always welcome.

If rituals are something that you’d like to see more of, why not look into coding and apply to join the dev team? I’m terrible with code, but I know that they’re always looking for more volunteers, and the more volunteers there are, the more that can be added to this wonderful server

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:57 am

malcolm_mountainslayer wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:36 am
considering how warlocks on arelith are themed as alternative arcanists that got too curious for their own good (and have an interest in the mysteries of the universe) and cast a circle higher than bards do, it would make a lot of sense to have rituals.
My understanding is that it's actually the opposite of this, and that every warlock willfully chose to enter into a pact with a Not Good power that at best isn't malign but is so different from the ideals of humanity that their definition of amoral and yours is on a completely different scale.

Did the server backtrack on this at some point?
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Aren

Post by Aren » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:33 am

Hunter548 wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:28 pm
I'm not sure how applicable this is as yet, but;

It would probably be cool if warlocks got access to some/all arcane rituals since some of them seem very thematically fitting for warlocks and some of them even allow bards access.

It might also be cool to have rituals that are limited to warlock/bg/hexblade/pale master, as spookier/more eldritch rituals.
Yes!!
Let us tear the veil between the prime and the abyss, let us open gateways that bring forth fiends.

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:18 am

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:57 am
My understanding is that it's actually the opposite of this, and that every warlock willfully chose to enter into a pact with a Not Good power that at best isn't malign but is so different from the ideals of humanity that their definition of amoral and yours is on a completely different scale.

I think what you've said and what he said don't really oppose one another. The willing entry into a pact is how the warlock gains their power. The curiosity into the unknown might be what drives a character. They don't have to be mutually exclusive, nor does every warlock need to be interested in the mysteries of the universe.

That said, Malcolm is definitely right in noting that the roleplay around many warlocks on the server is geared toward understanding or learning forbidden knowledge, mysteries that drive you mad, or practices that aren't accepted in general society. See: Star Pact & Fathomless Pact in particular.

That aside, YES PLEASE on rituals for warlocks!

Hag - A ritual near the Shadow-well to commune with dark entities?
Star - Observe the sky from a high point in the mountains at a particular date/time for particular phenomena of the unknowable greatness of the universe?
Unseelie - Hidden in the forests, a ritual to have crazy hostile nature?
Undying - Rituals for temporary undead related benefits?
Abyss - Open a gate (temporarily) to chaos!
Infernal - Ritual to sell a soul or bind a contract!
Fathomless - Underwater rituals for DEEP secrets!
(Make the bad effects have people go completely mad, INT/WIS/CHA damage in the form of negative boons!)
Last edited by Dreams on Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

Shrouded Wanderer

Post by Shrouded Wanderer » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:20 am

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:

I did it for a 1d10 cantrip

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:22 am

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:

No backtrack, just more layers/nuance added. Not everyone's quest for knowledge is a moral one, and many would make dark bargains for said knowledge AND power. Especially if you were not smart enough to be Mystra favourite wizard or lacked sorceror blood in your veins.

This is the introduction entry on our wiki:

" Warlocks are seekers of the knowledge that lies hidden in the fabric of the multiverse. Through pacts made with mysterious beings of supernatural power, they unlock magical effects both subtle and spectacular. Drawing on the ancient knowledge of beings such as fey nobles, demons, devils, hags, or tempestuous powers of the deep, warlocks piece together arcane secrets to bolster their own power.

Note: Good/accidental/forced Warlock RP is not supported. All Arelith Warlocks have taken their pact voluntarily. The circumstances of this choice remain at the player's discretion. "

This covers both what I was saying and what you were saying. When I said 'too curious for their own good' I didn't mean it was an accident. I meant warlocks willfully chose an amoral path for personal gain, which may include knowledge which I playfully calling 'curiosity'.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:06 am

There are rituals available to Warlocks atm, you may not just reach the level requirement yet. I would have to double check the code but I am pretty sure there is at least one for Warlocks.

Wethrinea

Post by Wethrinea » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:40 am

ActionReplay wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:06 am
There are rituals available to Warlocks atm, you may not just reach the level requirement yet. I would have to double check the code but I am pretty sure there is at least one for Warlocks.
I can confirm there is one available to sufficiently high level warlocks at least.
Ivar Ferdamann - Mercenary turned Marshall

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:07 pm

ActionReplay wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:06 am
Hopefully not above 25 warlock.

My warlock loremaster would cry lol

Ithalan

Post by Ithalan » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:57 pm

How are players supposed to treat rituals that their character inexplicably 'know', when there's no actual information on what the ritual actually does, or where the character acquired this knowledge from?

With the costs and requirements for actually carrying out the rituals, it's not just something you can just quickly test out OOCly either.

I know FOIG was stated to be a goal for this system, but I feel like either a lot more information has to be made available ingame for you to find before you learn the ability. Or else, if the characters are meant to gain the ability to perform them automatically, the ability needs to include enough information for the player to be able to answer where their character learnt it, and why.