Epic Divination Scrying

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Xerah

Re: Epic Divination Scrying

Post by Xerah » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:45 pm

It’s mainly because people are often jackasses about finding secrets. If random scry dude could be trusted to make a fun experience with then that knowledge, I think it wouldn’t be so hated (I cannot think of many reason why you do a “gank squad” as something fun).

I really can’t change other people behaviour but that’s how I operate when I do scrying
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:34 am

Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:15 pm
Morgy wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:19 pm
My biggest gripe with scrying is that so many people have it now with the common taking of loremaster levels. For PCs that are RP'd as pure thugs or henchmen, having access to this level of magic just feels odd to me.
This is the best post in the thread. It got me thinking, prior to loremaster there were casters with divination focus who said it was unoptimal, underpowered, they wanted it to do more. It's a 3 feat investment after all. In contrast, loremaster is much more optimal to take for a number of mundane classes, so they can access scrolls and other things that it enables. So scrying has become way, way more common, which has made it much more of an issue.

Maybe just remove scrying from loremaster.
Agree that removing scrying from loremaster would help, maybe letting it read auras/the deck instead. Auras and the deck of stars are cool enough to make the secret worth it; and it would significantly reduce the number of scriers.

I think the other secrets are fine though, if a little weak. -yoink is probably the best one, but GSF conjuration and the summon buffs are generally too good to pass up.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:59 am

I could see Loremasters keeping the scry ability but it's more conditional and a pain for them, like they need to craft a crystal ball or mirror fixture that's heavy, expensive and has a chance of breaking .

Paint

Post by Paint » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:55 am

Taking scry off of loremaster doesn't really fix the problems inherent in scrying -- it just makes loremaster a less attractive option for the kind of people who like to scry.

I still really like the idea of limiting scrying to certain areas rather than being able to scry people, like cordor's scrying network works, but I imagine that's been brought up a lot already.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:42 am

I like scry.
I have an epic wizard with it and I've never randomly spied on people I don't know or haven't been asked to scry on.
I understand the complaints against it but really it's all about making the knowledge you get fun for the target, a little blackmail or a few veiled threats about what you know.

I do agree that loremaster should have it removed for the reasons already stated in the other posts.