Subterranean Lizards

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Lacki

Subterranean Lizards

Post by Lacki » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:18 pm

I'm a new player, and these darn lizards are the bane of my existence when I'm low-level. I fought one with a character built to be reasonably tanky AC-wise with a potential AC of 33 when buffed and on their horse, and I quite literally could not touch this thing. It feels horrible to be completely stonewalled from progressing through a dungeon because one decided to spawn.

Subterranean lizards have massive stats, and I thought it best to list them out.
DR 15 (or more) - I couldn't test the precise amount or if anything pierced it because they aren't in the PGCC's summoning orb. The closest thing I could find was a Bulette, which isn't nearly as powerful despite sharing its model.
Two attacks at +31 and +26 (so against a character in heavy armour with a tower shield and riding AC bonuses, they'll hit 95% of the time on the first attack and 65% on the second). These attacks deal, from what I can see, about 15 to 25 damage without crits.
Spell resistance (no clue how much, but I zapped one with my helm and it resisted it so they definitely possess /some/).
Huge AC. I attacked it with (I believe) a buffed attack bonus of +21, and I was barely managing to hit it... and when I hit, my attacks were absorbed by DR.
Regeneration(?) (maybe? It went from being Injured to being Barely Wounded, if I recall).
A massive HP pool - I struck it for a lucky 50 damage hit and it became Barely Wounded.

I believe that it is far too difficult to defeat a subterranean lizard at level 10 aside from via heavy cheese tactics or leading it through a row of traps... and even then, I still think that it'd endure through. Hell, on my Level 24 Cleric, my Planar Conduit archons struggled with killing *one* subterranean lizard.

I believe their stat block needs toning down, especially given that they can spawn near powerful low-level enemies such as Orc Mystics/Commandos. I believe on another character I saw one spawn next to a Bullywug Pod Queen.

I concede that with enough time and healers' kits, I could slowly kite one to death as it plods after me, but I don't want to play Arelith that way - it feels lame, in a way, not to mention it being one hell of a slog!
I also concede that I could try fighting it with a group, but with my luck it'd have despawned by the time I found a group to do the dungeon with! Also, even then, it would be nigh-impossible to survive against it and tank its blows enough to kill it unless you have Improved Expertise, a Healer cleric constantly spamming heals, or someone who could pierce both its DR, AC, or saves so as to explode it with damage before it could kill whoever was holding aggro.

chris a gogo

Re: Subterranean Lizards

Post by chris a gogo » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:23 pm

Would help to know what dungeon you found it in as i can only think of two area's with them and neither is all that difficult, presuming your at an appropriate level.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:24 pm

I'll check out their current stats. I recall I had a difficult time with one myself lately.

Lacki

Post by Lacki » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:25 pm

chris a gogo wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:23 pm
Would help to know what dungeon you found it in as i can only think of two area's with them and neither is all that difficult, presuming your at an appropriate level.
On the first character I ran into them on, I found it in the Bullywug caves in the Underdark at level 8.

On the cavalier, I found it on the first floor of the Blood Moon orc caves at level 10.

On my cleric, I found one somewhere in Guldorand (can't remember where exactly, sorry - maybe the copper mine?) at level 24.
Irongron wrote: I'll check out their current stats. I recall I had a difficult time with one myself lately.
Could you post them here? I'm curious.

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:35 pm

Lacki wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:25 pm

Could you post them here? I'm curious.
I've reduced them for the next reset, so it should be easier, but I don't share exact creature stats. A lot of abilities are governed by scripted variables so even if I was willing, it would just take way too much explaining. The DR was too high for that level range, for sure.

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:52 am

Nice one, the bullywug lizard literally chased me out...I was lv 11 totem Druid but I could not scratch it
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

Itikar

Post by Itikar » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:19 pm

Totem druids not being able to scratch almost anything is the state of things for them sadly. :P

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:04 am

Itikar wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:19 pm
Totem druids not being able to scratch almost anything is the state of things for them sadly. :P
Wait, so the magical property of weapon is non existent when transformed? That’s bad...but when I say I cannot scratching it that included my summon and pet(which has magical enhanced attack), could not penetrate the dr
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

Itikar

Post by Itikar » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:54 am

xf1313 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:04 am
Itikar wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:19 pm
Wait, so the magical property of weapon is non existent when transformed? That’s bad...but when I say I cannot scratching it that included my summon and pet(which has magical enhanced attack), could not penetrate the dr
Totem druid have practically no dr piercing on their attack. That the summons struggle to damage it, however, is much more significant.