Climbing

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Flower Power

Re: Climbing

Post by Flower Power » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:16 pm

MRFTW wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:38 am
Flower Power wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:29 am
It'd be funny if the system could differentiate between an ascent and a descent - and always put you at the bottom of a descent regardless of the result of your roll. Just, uh, with a lot more damage.
It does, doesn't it?

I've never failed to climb down anything before, only up. Though that might be completely anecdotal.
Completely anecdotal. I definitely have failed descents and ended up at the top again.
what would fred rogers do?

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:25 pm

Flower Power wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:16 pm
MRFTW wrote:
Flower Power wrote:
It'd be funny if the system could differentiate between an ascent and a descent - and always put you at the bottom of a descent regardless of the result of your roll. Just, uh, with a lot more damage.
It does, doesn't it?

I've never failed to climb down anything before, only up. Though that might be completely anecdotal.
Completely anecdotal. I definitely have failed descents and ended up at the top again.
Good to know. I'm not a big climber but I'd only seen it work as you suggested, which I thought was both intentional and clever. It would be cool if it worked that way, imo.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:43 pm

Flower Power wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:16 pm
MRFTW wrote:
Flower Power wrote:
It does, doesn't it?

It depends on how the climb destinations are set up. Some old climb spots that until recently didn't use the new script didn't have the option to configure a failure waypoint, so for them you'd always end up where you started.

The new climb spots are however supposed to move you to the destination if you're climbing downwards and falling. If you noticed any outliers, list them with the area name and a map screenshot so Irongron or our area developers can look into it :)

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:50 am

Kalopsia wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:15 pm
I've spent a bit of time tweaking and play testing things today. The original delay of 10 seconds definitely seems too high, so I'll be reducing that to 7 seconds, which seemed nice and responsive, but also gives people the time to react to what they see in terms of climb check difficulty, etc.
The update will also improve the feedback text by providing more detailed information on the climb check and not displaying the "move to cancel the climb" message if you've already cancelled the climb by moving :D
Thank you!

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:47 am

Could it be reduced to 1 round? Some old climb checks have been changed to the new system and trying over and over to get it now takes an excruciating amount of time.