Climbing

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Apothys
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Climbing

Post by Apothys » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:16 pm

Hi,

Just some feedback on this. Climbing takes way to long for a would be sneak moving around say... Cordor. Originally these were added in the cities to allow easy movement around the town for such players. However they are not that useful if we have to wait a long time as the cordor guards (for example) are bearing down on us. Would be a great incentive to to players to add points into climb if hard points reduced the time it took to use the climb function. Just a thought.

Talandis Tanor'Thal
Kalnafein Cress'delbarra
Tanis Thade
Merklynn Steelshadow II
Gulmyr Dro'Vaalvaz
Aerik Northman

Party in the forest at midnight

Re: Climbing

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:11 pm

I was thinking the same thing. The shortcuts take longer to climb than running around the long way would.

God_In_Action

Post by God_In_Action » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:42 pm

Is the delay there only to prevent people from attempting dangerous climbs when misclicking? If that is the case, what about a setting which allows players to change how many seconds they have before attempting to climb, down even to 0 or 1? That way it becomes the players choice and fault.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:26 pm

I wouldn't mind reducing the delay a bit. It does seem kinda excessive right now.

Aren

Post by Aren » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:56 pm

Kalopsia wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:26 pm
I wouldn't mind reducing the delay a bit. It does seem kinda excessive right now.
That would be very appreciated.

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

If Only

Post by If Only » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:57 pm

Why not just make it a convo?
Ex animo.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:06 pm

If Only wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:57 pm
Because then you couldn't climb in combat anymore. Which actually works right now, it just doesn't let you take 20 :)

If Only

Post by If Only » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:39 pm

Kalopsia wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:06 pm
If Only wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:57 pm
Because then you couldn't climb in combat anymore. Which actually works right now, it just doesn't let you take 20 :)
Ohh okay, that makes sense. Thank you. :)
Ex animo.

Ithalan

Post by Ithalan » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:10 pm

Maybe just have the description you get when you examine the climb spot tell you how easy or difficult it will be for you. Then clicking the climb spot could start the climb instantly or near-instantly without there being a problem with it.
Kalopsia wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:06 pm
Can you even take 20 on climb checks? I've definitely had tough climbs that I had to retry dozens of time before they succeeded, without any enemies being near. If take 20 was a thing, I would have expected it to either succeed the first time, or never have succeeded at all.

Halibutthead

Post by Halibutthead » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:24 pm

I could go for a -climb command that bypasses the wait (well, a little wait, so pursuers can get a swing or two in)

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:21 am

Maybe clicking the climb spot a second time once the timer's started could bypass the wait entirely?

Definitely don't make it a convo though because then you also couldn't do it in stealth

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:32 am

I was just thinking this too the other day. The 5 second for just the floatly adds to another 5 seconds for the character to fade and appear up top too. I wouldn't mind if these were both halved, or like magistrasa says click twice for instant climb is a great idea too.

For a whole party to climb one at a time it can feel like quite a while, or if there's multiple checks in an area it does become tiresome.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Sandrow
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Sandrow » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:46 am

I like this idea. -climb to activate a quick climb nearby, while keep the former climb waiting time through clicking.
Climbing is too slow, make it quicker will be wonderful, but nobody wants to fall dead with a single mistake click.
-climb command could handle the split. A menu setting may not help.

Naghast

Post by Naghast » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:51 am

i'd like to not have to gimp my character or spend another 30 lbs / half of an inventory page on climbing equipment (or both). that's my only feedback on climb.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:53 am

It would have been great if climbing used the "take 20" mechanic.
That doesn't seem to be the case atm. as characters can both fail and pass checks for the same climbing spot even while out of combat.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:58 pm

I agree with the feedback but remember if we make the timer too short people might attempt climb on a misclick. We also cant really make it a convo because convo breaks stealth mode and it defeats the purpose of say.. sneaking out of cordor behind the guard's back. I'm not sure 5 seconds is that long. Maybe if it could allow several people to climb at the time, individually without waiting for one to start before they can wait their 5 seconds, that would probably be a huge improvement.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:36 pm

Except all of the legacy climbing stuff works on walking up to an area without there even be a click spot, and was instant.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:27 pm

Agreed. Less waiting on the start of a climb would be a nice things, even more so when trying to escape PvP.
Last edited by Edens_Fall on Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:32 pm

Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:36 pm
Except all of the legacy climbing stuff works on walking up to an area without there even be a click spot, and was instant.
Instant, intransparent, with invisible transitions and often zero feedback on failure :)
I vividly remember spending literal minutes trying to find the transition for that one climb spot to reach Aurilites. Very glad the climb scripts are now streamlined - and the one library that remains can and will be tweaked based on player feedback.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:46 pm

Oh yeah, the old system is awful. But it was also instant. So "misclicking" is a weird reason to not make the new system instant if the damage on failure is minor.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:12 pm

Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:46 pm
Oh yeah, the old system is awful. But it was also instant. So "misclicking" is a weird reason to not make the new system instant if the damage on failure is minor.
The problem is that the system handles all climb spots, even ones with absolutely lethal damage :)
It should also be consistent regarding the delays. But as I said, I don't object to shortening them a little.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:29 am

It'd be funny if the system could differentiate between an ascent and a descent - and always put you at the bottom of a descent regardless of the result of your roll. Just, uh, with a lot more damage.
what would fred rogers do?

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:14 am

Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:36 pm
Those cant hurt you. But accidently falling from guldorand's wall because you stood on the climb spot and lagged for a few seconds would be a different case, I think. Over all, I think 5 seconds waiting time is really not that much. I think that it's only a lot when several people want to climb and need to wait 5 seconds between each of them. So I really think that just allowing anyone to climb without the rope being occupied solves the problem.
Flower Power wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:29 am
It'd be funny if the system could differentiate between an ascent and a descent - and always put you at the bottom of a descent regardless of the result of your roll. Just, uh, with a lot more damage.
I'm almost sure that's already the case...
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:38 am

Flower Power wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:29 am
It does, doesn't it?

I've never failed to climb down anything before, only up. Though that might be completely anecdotal.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:15 pm

I've spent a bit of time tweaking and play testing things today. The original delay of 10 seconds definitely seems too high, so I'll be reducing that to 7 seconds, which seemed nice and responsive, but also gives people the time to react to what they see in terms of climb check difficulty, etc.
The update will also improve the feedback text by providing more detailed information on the climb check and not displaying the "move to cancel the climb" message if you've already cancelled the climb by moving :D