Rewards Lock

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Amateur Hour

Re: Rewards Lock

Post by Amateur Hour » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:40 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:39 pm

But if you get a stream of normal awards over and over again, you might just hang on to your Tiefling and continue playing it for 5 years instead of 2 years, while you fish for your next major award 1 character per month.
At that point, though, you have to wonder what the player is trying to get out of Arelith.

Part of the difficulty with making a Dungeons and Dragons themed persistent world is that Dungeons and Dragons is all about becoming the absolute most amazing, talented, powerful people in the world...but in a persistent world, almost everyone you interact with beyond smacking them with a weapon or spell is a player character. I won't say that we should play characters we don't find inspiring, but I do think some people could stand to spend a little more time thinking about how they could make an "ordinary" character inspiring.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:03 pm

Amateur Hour wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:40 pm
At that point, though, you have to wonder what the player is trying to get out of Arelith.
The state of tieflings proves that people will spend major awards on something entirely on par with human just to have tail. Let that sink for a second. People just want to be special. And the more special the surrounding is, the more they need to be extra special on top of that in order to always play something at orders of magnitude more special than the average surrounding, which is also getting increasingly more special as many people in this thread have agreed on.

If you ask me personally? I just like collecting weird things that arent possible to make or are gated behind apps. harder for me to roll those even tho for example I log on my kensai once in forever just to run a few dungeons and shelf it again.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:48 am

Hazard wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:15 pm
Ebonstar wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:33 am
its funny seeing this " i hate having to wait to play a special character"

Over the years ive seen many major and greater award characters and the majority of them, yes about 90% dont last a month. In the mind it seems to be awesome to play, and then when the player is seen on a new toon and asked about there reward toon, they have all said it just wasnt as fun as i thought it would be.

A DM in PnP once told me and it still applies here because ive heard it here as well, Can your plan for the character be done by only being special? or would being special simply make it special in the eyes of other players?

There is still too much grinding being done imo, writs have made all midlevel content something characters laugh about while waiting for their writs to recycle. Worse off is the now popular line being tossed around is" Why do you talk and interfere with writworkers doing their writ?

When did we use writs as a crutch to be in game?
When did rp during anything become a bad idea?

These cooldown locks are a damn good thing, because they will remind players to play their characters and stop treating Arelith as drag strip to rolling for rewards.
A big reason why it isn't as fun as they'd think it would be is the treatment towards them, and the ability to actually roleplay that race on Arelith. You often find yourself restricted by Arelith's culture of Mechanics > RP. PvP Might makes right, and 'What You See Is What You Get.' If you cannot mechanically do something, to most players these days .. it isn't real or worth engaging in, yet if we were to give them all those abilities, people would cry that it is too much and unfair.

Playing an exotic thing on Arelith can be a huge headache, when you take into account the behavioural issues it can stir up in certain parts of the playerbase, as well.

People are far more likely to be judgemental/exclusive than they are willing to actually engage in 'proper RP of the race'.

The few (yes, few) people who have taken the time to get to know my 5% characters have given me the most wonderful compliments I've ever gotten in this game, and thank you for that .. But for each one of those, there have been 20+ individuals who say a snarky thing as they enter the screen and are gone before anyone can reply. 'oH a fiRbOlG iN a CiTy? tHiS iSlaNd iS sO sTrAnGe' ... While my poor Firbolg who literally just stepped foot in the city for the first time this (real life) year looks around for who said that- Oh. They're already gone.
I like your points Hazard. Particularly that Areliths culture and mechanics limit RP. I was trying to think of a way to say this earlier in the thread... What you said about "If you can't mechanically do something to someone it isn't real." Yes, a gazillion times.

I feel like we as players allow ourselves to be entrapped in a mechanical box and just like don't enjoy things that maybe aren't mechanically possible but could easily be RP'd. Easy example... Being afraid. Are you mechanically feared? No..but you can still be afraid!

Reiterating what many said, if the goal of getting a race is just like for the aesthetic and doesn't come with an authentic story or desire to RP their angle in the lore then I think that leads to the angst against exotic races.

I think there's improvements that could be and in some cases are being made. But also, we as players could change a lot of this by just like adjusting how we RP and what we allow to be and framing our perception of things differently.

Edit: I've seen a lot of firbolgs. Someone unhappy with the proliferation of exotic races. Not that it's right to do that just that I think that's a sign of discontent that has grown amongst some players.

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:06 am

I don't see the reward lock changing my play style at all. I don't make new characters that often for it to have any impact on me whatsoever.

I had a normal reward the last 5 rolls, and I only spend one of them on a human Fire Genasi. I kinda wish you could trade in 5 normal rewards for a greater reward thought. Don't think I have it in me to get a normal reward on my 6th roll in a row, but If that was done then I think that all the rewards should be on the same timer at 3 months thought.

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:35 pm

I think there's a psychological element to the "tiers" of rewards that a point buy system would greatly alleviate.

I've been on the server 5-ish years now. I've poured countless hours into the characters I play. I stick with my characters for upwards of a year or more, and I put a lot of time and effort into developing their roleplay. I've never spent any time reward-grinding. Nearly every award I've earned has come from deleting characters that I was genuinely invested in playing.

And I've never earned any reward better than a Normal.

I think the sting from that fact comes from the sense of devaluation of the characters and the roleplay. Am I simply not "worth" a higher tier payout? Have I not conducted myself in a manner befitting a "great" reward? Am I less deserving than the people around me who I see talking about all their greaters and majors?

Logically speaking, I know that's an absurd line of thought. It's just RNG. There's no moral judgment applied to the roll of a dice. And frankly, I'm not even interested in playing any of those reward races. (If you ask me, all the most compelling options come from normals anyways.) But for some reason that I don't even fully understand, I am sort of ashamed by the fact that I've never earned a Greater or Major award. It almost feels like I'm admitting I'm a lesser roleplayer for it.

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:14 pm

magistrasa wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:35 pm
I think there's a psychological element to the "tiers" of rewards that a point buy system would greatly alleviate.

I've been on the server 5-ish years now. I've poured countless hours into the characters I play. I stick with my characters for upwards of a year or more, and I put a lot of time and effort into developing their roleplay. I've never spent any time reward-grinding. Nearly every award I've earned has come from deleting characters that I was genuinely invested in playing.

And I've never earned any reward better than a Normal.

I think the sting from that fact comes from the sense of devaluation of the characters and the roleplay. Am I simply not "worth" a higher tier payout? Have I not conducted myself in a manner befitting a "great" reward? Am I less deserving than the people around me who I see talking about all their greaters and majors?

Logically speaking, I know that's an absurd line of thought. It's just RNG. There's no moral judgment applied to the roll of a dice. And frankly, I'm not even interested in playing any of those reward races. (If you ask me, all the most compelling options come from normals anyways.) But for some reason that I don't even fully understand, I am sort of ashamed by the fact that I've never earned a Greater or Major award. It almost feels like I'm admitting I'm a lesser roleplayer for it.
I just want to point this out as a valid thing to feel, or at least I believe it is.

I have a 5% character already, but when I rolled my old wizard that went from a guppy, to a slightly larger guppy with lipstick and glitter, over a great many years of much fun, I only got a normal.

It still stung despite that I had the presumably greatest of prizes already.

"Hey, you know all the the thousands of hours of book writing and faction building your character did? MEDIOCRE!"

That is why it sounds like this coming system that slowly acknowledges every player feels good to hear - because how we value our characters has less to do with it. I am optimistic.

Perhaps, to double the optimism, players receiving a reward over mere time may feel prompted and/or tempted to make something new.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:21 pm

I think it's just human nature to, after being so invested in a very deep and beloved character, that when we finally end their story and get a fart noise and a 'womp womp' to be a little let down. I look forward to what the new system might be like and hope it can move us away from the RNG. As it is now, I cannot help but feel incredibly reluctant to permanently delete reward characters because I doubt my ability to ever get anything even nearly as cool, ever again. If it weren't so RNG, I doubt I (or others) would feel this way as often or as much.

With the current system, I feel like it encourages a sort of trophy mentality, where you'd rather just shelf a special character than ever flat out delete them, because who wants to trade a greater/major for most likely, a normal? Some people, sure. Most people? Probably not. I don't know. It's just my feelings maaaan.

Atlus

Post by Atlus » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:28 pm

As illogical as it is, emotion runs strong in roleplay and video games, and logic doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell in that environment.

If a person sacrifices a character they've put a lot of value and sentiment into and doesn't get a reward that in their mind represents it, envy and loathing of the system will eventually manifest. It's gradually going to create a negative feedback loop. I feel this may also contribute to an aggressive attitude toward exotic races springing up, not only just due to the volume, but due to the inability to be given a chance to do it better in their eyes than someone else may have.

"Why did THAT player have to get a greater/major reward? Why didn't I get one? They can barely rp that race! I am a huge fan of that race and could incorporate one flawlessly into the setting! My time playing isn't respected!"

I personally never had a chance to reward farm like everyone else, I only really started playing early last year so I don't know if I'd have managed either. I definitely feel some resentment and inequality with this reward lock being pulled up, as if I've been excluded from something many other players got to monopolize on before I did.

...I definitely see myself shelving every character at this point.
Last edited by Atlus on Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:35 pm

Hazard wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:21 pm
I think it's just human nature to, after being so invested in a very deep and beloved character, that when we finally end their story and get a fart noise and a 'womp womp' to be a little let down. I look forward to what the new system might be like and hope it can move us away from the RNG. As it is now, I cannot help but feel incredibly reluctant to permanently delete reward characters because I doubt my ability to ever get anything even nearly as cool, ever again. If it weren't so RNG, I doubt I (or others) would feel this way as often or as much.

With the current system, I feel like it encourages a sort of trophy mentality, where you'd rather just shelf a special character than ever flat out delete them, because who wants to trade a greater/major for most likely, a normal? Some people, sure. Most people? Probably not. I don't know. It's just my feelings maaaan.
you technically read my mind
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:51 pm

Atlus wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:28 pm
As illogical as it is, emotion runs strong in roleplay and video games, and logic doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell in that environment.
I agree with everything you said, but I want to put a spin on this bit.

I think we ought to be embracing human nature on Arelith rather than treating it like it's some kind of terrible thing.

It comes up, here and there, that people getting emotionally invested is this great monster (sometimes it is) but it's something we should be mindful of and working around instead of hoping everyone is a mindless zombie slapping their keyboard and watching RP unfold with grim sobriety like they're doing data entry for minimum wage.

I cried at the end of The Green Mile and I didn't need to be on death row or a corrections officer to relate. The movie was sad as hell and I felt sad as hell about it.

Arelith is no different. Instead of chasing away emotional connection like a wild animal we need to find ways to deal with it and confront it with the understanding it's normal and natural to have feelings when observing or making art. That's what we're doing here.

To bring it back around to the point I think people should feel validated this is normal to feel.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:57 pm

While the basics of the point buy system are agreed upon, there is a lot more to decide upon, ideally alongside discussion with the community.

A couple of ideas to fuel this...

We could introduce set numbers of exotic reward options alongside each rotation, for example only 15 aasimar would be available, and players could enter a lottery to receive one (should they have enough points to 'buy' it) it would be a sure fire way to control rarity.

Another option would be that players can only have x number of rare races in their vault. The option to buy another would be in red (blocked) while they already have such a character.

There will be a lot of options to discuss, and I'd like this all to be done via a new custom 'shop' menu, available both in game, and offline.

It really could be great. Essentially I want everyone to have equal opportunity to access these options, but also enough customization to make something unique; this can encompass more than races, but also items, animal companions, special steeds and so on.

If your vision is to play a boar riding wild dwarf wielding his ghost summoning ancestral spear, this is how we can do it.

Atlus

Post by Atlus » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:09 pm

Irongron wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:57 pm
While the basics of the point buy system are agreed upon, there is a lot more to decide upon, ideally alongside discussion with the community.

We could introduce set numbers of exotic reward options alongside each rotation, for example only 15 aasimar would be available, and players could enter a lottery to receive one (should they have enough points to 'buy' it) it would be a sure fire way to control rarity.

Another option would be that players can only have x number of rare races in their vault. The option to buy another would be in red (blocked) while they already have such a character.

There will be a lot of options to discuss, and I'd like this all to be done via a new custom 'shop' menu, available both in game, and offline.

It really could be great. Essentially I want everyone to have equal opportunity to access these options, but also enough customization to make something unique; this can encompass more than races, but also items, animal companions, special steeds and so on.

If your vision is to play a boar riding wild dwarf wielding his ghost summoning ancestral spear, this is how we can do it.
Limiting types of exotic races? Bad. Can result in a lockout/loss of entries due to winner inactivity. No guarantee the same player/s won't luck out on consecutive lottos.

Limiting the total? Fine. Makes it so a player has to value the choice more and invest in it and everyone can get an entry.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:12 pm

Things can definitely be shelf/archived on the backend if someone doesn't play them for X amount of time. Then they would have to apply to get it active again.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:15 pm

Limiting how many special things people have in their vault is a good idea too, so one person can't hog everything. If they want to play a shiny new thing they'll have to delete their old one. Based on what Grumpy's said in the past it sounds like this is only an issue with vampire though.

Itikar

Post by Itikar » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:21 pm

Shelved characters of exotic races should hardly be a great concern for the diversity, or lack thereof, of the setting. In general, however, limiting the total number seems to create more problems than it solves. It also assumes that having more aasimar, minotaurs, ogres or whatever else is a problem for the server, when it is merely a problem for some players with very questionable ideas.

Limiting the current total of exotic options per account is much better, on the other hand, as it encourages indeed more thought in keeping a certain number of exotic options. Archiving is probably better than deletion though.

Also, probably more fitting here than in the race thread, I just realized today that Roushoum and Loross are not among the language award options, which is lame. There dies my idea of a temporally misplaced Netherese mage. :/

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:25 pm

I think limiting the total number feels sound, targeting at Greater/Major award races. The normal and minor are...normal and minor.

Maybe a bit more love to minor and normal XD, like make genasi of all races normal award.
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

Aradin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aradin » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:36 pm

Irongron wrote:
I definitely don't envy the position of designing a reward system that will satisfy players; what a careful line to dance! But glad the team is giving it due thought. My response to your ideas here:
Irongron wrote:
I agree it's a surefire way to control rarity, though I'm not certain it's the best option from a player's perspective. It continues to be RNG and disenfranchises players of making choices about their future characters themselves. If you had saved up 4 precious "character" points over a year of playing and rolling characters and gambled them all on maybe getting an aasimar and then lost the auction, boy would that sting. All those rolls resulted in nothing.

Additionally, if you want to have a hard cap on the number of x exotic race, then there should be some DM supervision about the active characters of that race in the game world to go alongside the system. It would be annoying if you wanted to play a gloaming and the server had already reached its cap of 10/10 gloamings allowed, but 9/10 of those gloamings were shelved and not getting played at all.
Irongron wrote:
This I really like. It puts the choice in the hands of the player about what kind of characters they want to play while simultaneously reducing the total number of exotic races on the server at any one time.
Irongron wrote:

So long as this theoretical menu has a nice, easy to navigate UI I'm all for it. Using the point buy system to purchase accessory rewards for your character like these special steeds, unique items, so on? Love it. So long as there's strict mechanical oversight. It was before my time but I understand there were once "Artifacts" on Arelith that were hecka powerful. I'm all for the point buy system allowing custom accessories but not if those custom accessories are stronger than any regularly available in-game accessory.

- - -

Without knowing the details of the proposed point buy system it's hard to offer feedback. If you're looking for suggestions, then here's a thought.

Earning points on a character you roll should be affected by a wider variety of factors than earning a reward in the current system. Currently, to max out your chances on earning a high reward, you have to be level 26+ and have a total gold value in your inventory at the time of rolling equal to or greater than 1 million gold.

I don't think there should be just two key "ingredients" to earning high points in the point buy system. Rather, I'd enjoy seeing a system in which there are 10-20 different factors in play that each earn your character 1 point. Having a million gold value in your inventory at the time of rolling could be worth 1 point, and being level 26+ could be worth 1 point. Having led a faction with at least 10 members could be worth 1 point, and having won a settlement election could be worth 1 point. Having killed 10 distinct endgame dungeon "boss" monsters could be worth 1 point, and having set foot on every island available in the sailing system could be worth 1 point. Having hosted 5 public events could be worth 1 point, and having played a character for 100 hours could be worth 1 point.
And, most importantly, while there would be these 10-20 different ways to earn points, each character roll would only be worth a maximum of say, 5 points. So in order to reach your "maximum roll value" of 5 points you don't have to earn all 10-20 achievements, but rather just the handful of them that are accessible to you depending on the nature of your character and the kind of roleplay you're into as a player.
In order to prevent gaming the system, you might optionally consider not informing the playerbase of how you earn points. Keep the methods hidden, force players to just...live in the world and try new things if they want points.

All of the above are off-the-cuff examples; you'd need to give these kinds of point offerings more thought than I did, but you get my drift. The idea is that this kind of system rewards players for engaging in many different aspects of Arelith rather than just leveling up and getting gold.
Last edited by Aradin on Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Was Lloyd Grimm, Sai Aung-K'yi, Stink Spellworped, Ikarus, and Revyn the White.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:39 pm

I like pretty much all IG's ideas here, though I would comment that locking PCs that aren't played over a certain amount of time might lead to people basically feeling forced to 'quarter log' their own character.

I would not be eager to be in such a position myself if I needed some time off.

Blorg

Post by Blorg » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:46 pm

Perhaps a new super 5% tier could be added that you can only get by rolling a major reward char. But perhaps such rewards would be way too rare for Arelith.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:51 pm

Aradin wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:36 pm

I don't think there should be just two key "ingredients" to earning high points in the point buy system. Rather, I'd enjoy seeing a system in which there are 10-20 different factors in play that each earn your character 1 point. Having a million gold value in your inventory at the time of rolling could be worth 1 point, and being level 26+ could be worth 1 point. Having led a faction with at least 10 members could be worth 1 point, and having won a settlement election could be worth 1 point. Having killed 10 distinct endgame dungeon "boss" monsters could be worth 1 point, and having set foot on every island available in the sailing system could be worth 1 point. Having hosted 5 public events could be worth 1 point, and having played a character for 100 hours could be worth 1 point.
And, most importantly, while there would be these 10-20 different ways to earn points, each character roll would only be worth a maximum of say, 5 points. So in order to reach your "maximum roll value" of 5 points you don't have to earn all 10-20 achievements, but rather just the handful of them that are accessible to you depending on the nature of your character and the kind of roleplay you're into as a player.
In order to prevent gaming the system, you might optionally consider not informing the playerbase of how you earn points. Keep the methods hidden, force players to just...live in the world and try new things if they want points.
It's been a while since I looked at the proposal, but how you describe it is similar to what the plan was a year ago. Things can obviously change, but most of us thought this was a good approach. The list of ways to get points was gigantic.

I don't even bother to check if I've maxed out my % chances with gold anymore, but people will always find ways to game the system regardless and if it's too hidden then it becomes a "you know" vs. the others who will feel bad because they don't (and conversely blame the system)
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Evianna

Post by Evianna » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:54 pm

Irongron wrote:
Please, anything but this.
you may remember me from such idiot characters as:

mystery

iyelle ixit'shii - waiting for her Death to come for her in Menzoberranzan
raimie mistmantle - sold into slavery
yukana ("malyss") - in a castle with her elf in kozakura

Watchful Glare

Post by Watchful Glare » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:08 pm

Irongron wrote:

There are good points here. Skibbles also has good points as usual.

I think any sort of lottery system is essentially going back to what caused the issues in the first place. An easier would be the following: You can only have one 5% character in your vault. At any time. If you want another you have to roll the first. You can't just 'collect' 5%'s.

This would allow you to play one such for as long as you had it in you, and when you're truly done, by that time you can play another if you want to. It would also help with the scarcity of it if there really can't be more than 1 per player, at any point in time- Yet without gatekeeping it. And the ones you see the most would be by the serial, consistent players that play every day for X amount of hours, which would also be the most accountable ones for doing the right/wrong type of RP.

5% character: Only 1 in vault. Doesn't matter if shelved or not. Slot frees up when the character is deleted.
20% Greater: Only 1 (or 2) in vault. Doesn't matter if shelved or not. Slot free up when the character/s are deleted.
Normal, minor: Doesn't matter. These are, after all, just 'common'.

This will prevent bloat and also make it so when you play a 5% you really want to play it and it's not a whim choice. It's not about whether doing that is good or bad either, it's about results.

It will also help with character turnover.

Particularly with the new 'point buy' system, where everyone is going to be guaranteed a 5% on top of whatever awards they already have now. You can't just play the game and collect 5%'s with RP now, either. Yet, you still get it if you're going to be invested in it.
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:29 pm

I'm honestly partial to removing races from rewards, or at least making rewards unattractive mechanically. That way players choose a race based solely on aesthetic and roleplay potential. They'll be more liable to do the race their due diligence.

Atlus

Post by Atlus » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:14 pm

Ork wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:29 pm
I'm honestly partial to removing races from rewards, or at least making rewards unattractive mechanically. That way players choose a race based solely on aesthetic and roleplay potential. They'll be more liable to do the race their due diligence.
Stat agnostic races are what modern D&D has already proposed in official rules as an idea just to let people play out unconventional characters without needing to be a specific race.

And honestly it's not a bad idea if races aren't a stat advantage but one of rp interest.

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:33 pm

Watchful Glare wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:08 pm

5% character: Only 1 in vault. Doesn't matter if shelved or not. Slot frees up when the character is deleted.
20% Greater: Only 1 (or 2) in vault. Doesn't matter if shelved or not. Slot free up when the character/s are deleted.
Normal, minor: Doesn't matter. These are, after all, just 'common'.

This will prevent bloat and also make it so when you play a 5% you really want to play it and it's not a whim choice. It's not about whether doing that is good or bad either, it's about results.
I like this idea in general, particularly since there are normal and minor awards that are nearly "invisible" on your character, like the jump-start awards and the language awards.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???