Rewards Lock

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Algol

Re: Rewards Lock

Post by Algol » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:58 am

I know the RPR system is even more controversial than the 5% awards but... I think there might be merit in having a high RPR a significant effect on major award chance.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:28 am

Algol wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:58 am
I know the RPR system is even more controversial than the 5% awards but... I think there might be merit in having a high RPR a significant effect on major award chance.
Having the DMs just arbitrarily hand out awards to their buddies instead would have been a much fairer and more transparent way of doing things at that point.

Slapstick

Post by Slapstick » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:30 am

Algol wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:58 am
For anyone not playing at US times like me that’s would just be a major kick in the nuts. It also reeks of elitism. The DM to player ratio is already strained, and this would make ppl claim that favoritism is making it much easier for friends of the DMs to get “the good stuff”. I see way to many downsides to RPR getting a say in award chances.

Algol

Post by Algol » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:05 pm

I'll start with a disclaimer that I'm at 20 RPR and have been for years now.

While I know RPR system is not fair and disliked/ distrustred by many for understandable reasons, it's also the only metric we have of someone is a good rper and not an avid grinder. If the we want RP to be rewarded over grinding is it not the only number we have regarding RP? I just don't see how RP can be quantified for a mathematical equation in any way that won't have some people upset over "favoritsm" or similar issues.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:31 pm

Algol wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:05 pm
I'll start with a disclaimer that I'm at 20 RPR and have been for years now.

While I know RPR system is not fair and disliked/ distrustred by many for understandable reasons, it's also the only metric we have of someone is a good rper and not an avid grinder. If the we want RP to be rewarded over grinding is it not the only number we have regarding RP? I just don't see how RP can be quantified for a mathematical equation in any way that won't have some people upset over "favoritsm" or similar issues.
This is a really interesting point and one I have deeply in my soul.

The thing is you basically get two camps over awards

1) We pride ourselves on being a roleplay server, ergo 'rewards' should go to the best roleplayers, people whom we think could handle the concepts well, could add colour and flourish to the community.

Counterpointed by

2) Roleplay is really hard to quantify. It has to be judged by people and that means implicit bias, and corruption. In the case of the RPR system, even if we presume the DMS are tottaly reasonalbe and unbias people, activity means that some folk who are amazing rpers, will be past down just because they arn't noticed. To make this fair, the award system needs to be based on purely mechanical means.

Both sides kinda have their point.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:18 pm

If someone is RPing badly or blitzing past me in a dungeon I'm personally not going to care more if they have wings and a tail. Whether they're playing a major reward race or a stock one they're still taking up 1 spot on the server.

Also higher RPR players are more likely to be the center to attention driving plots forward and engaging a larger section of the playerbase. I'd rather not see that be associated with special races to increase the snowflake factor even further after several generations of characters were created under a RPR reward locked system.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:34 pm

Ork wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:10 pm
I think it might be best for all us old heads to mentally shift from old Arelith dynamics to new. What we have now is basically any 5E setting. Plenty of humans, but a large mix of exotic “others”. I think the old thoughts of “by god it’s a tiefling, get the pitchforks!” is dead and gone. Instead, what we have now are half-giant politicians, tiefling shopkeepers, and shadovar snake-oil merchants. It’s different. The old lines of medieval-esque revoltions from seeing an “other” is gone. If that threatens your immersion, buck up or back out I guess.
The whole Muppets feel of all these different races running around everywhere does bug me somewhat.

I actually do enjoy the half giants, because I've always reasoned that if gnomes and halflings are common it only makes sense in a fantasy setting to have a giant option too. But seeing multiple pixies in Skal alongside birdmen and Genasi on a typical day is really a bit much. It doesn't feel right.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:49 pm

Hazard wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:33 am
MissEvelyn wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:17 pm
Arelith Classic when? 👀

I'm kidding! .... sort of
Heck yeah. Can't wait to go back to the good old Arelith, with catgirl-elves, talking animals and 10,000 year old possessed paladins.
Counterpoint: I'd get to see what this Wharftown thing was all about. 👀

Counter-counter point: How far back are we talking, would it be Udos-era? Would we get to relearn all of the mistakes of the past again?

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:12 pm

2005 baronal cordor w/ the guard god-emote shackles, let's go.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:33 pm

Were kobolds still allowed in Cordor at that point? Can there be Baron von Kobold doing godmod emotes to shackle up his catgirl elf waifus? This sounds great, let's do it.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:38 pm

But at least Cordor had public executions back then 😏

I'm genuinely sorry for detailing the thread

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:58 am

MissEvelyn wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:38 pm
I'm genuinely sorry for detailing the thread
Don't be. The derail is worthy of its own thread.