Naming Polymorph Races

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Naming Polymorph Races

Post by Edens_Fall » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:24 pm

BattleDrake wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:58 am
Iunno, I don't think this is really that big of an issue as you seem to make it out to be.

I've been playing a Rakshasa for six months now or so, and I've never had anyone out me by breaking my disguise. I've been outed in other ways, but never that.

During leveling, nobody made any comments about my character's name when their disguise was broken constantly. Actually, one tell I got, and it was from a player that assumed I was just hiding my name for unknown reasons and I should ask a dm for a name change xD

Now with full skill, it rarely happens (I think a total of 5 times now), and my character is still fine and dandy.

I mean, if you're running about as tons of different disguise names in a short period of time with a crappy disguise skill, that's a fault on you I suppose. Otherwise, play it smart. And if it does happen with a high skill, and that one off chance, great! You should have the opportunity to be outed every once in awhile. Your character shouldn't be immune to it. I shouldn't be immune to it. If someone invested heavily in spot and can break my disguise and spends enough time investigating and learns the truth, great. They've investigated enough to learn my character's true name, good on them. Let's not start talking about ways to make this one-sided rp where your infiltrator gets the luxury of complete immunity.
Well said.

I have played a yuan-ti before, and I agree no one should be completely free of being discovered. Yes, I say this knowing full well the frustration of having a long plot line destroyed by a simple spot build getting bored in the city square and checking everyone.

If the staff didn't what there to be this risk we wouldn't have spot builds. It's the same reason I think no shadow dancer will ever be immune to spot/listen builds. We simply don't need a meta build with no counter.

That said I personally feel a PCs name at creation should be their true name and disguise names used as thier many personas. But thats my personal taste.

Hedgehog
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Naming Polymorph Races

Post by Hedgehog » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:25 pm

Good luck trying to get involved in any kind of merchant or any other type of faction RP as a polymorphing infiltrator, owning a house, or having someone deposit money to your account via bank transfer for payment.

I've ranted enough today about the limitations Rakshasas have to face to be able to do the things they should be able to do, so I won't touch on that (You can check the other thread if you want). It's a problem with the way the game's mechanics are designed and how easily and over-saturated detecting/scrying feats and spells are in the Arelith setting with no way for polymorphed/disguised beings to live in it without some degree of meta-gaming involved.

There are people who would literally run pocket/secondary diviners, that are either associated with the same factions or characters writing reports and feeding each other intel, playing on this server. Metagaming here is a systemic problem, and just frankly unavoidable no matter how much you try to avoid doing it.

The fact there are actually a good number of longtime players invested enough to exploit it as well is one of the reasons why I stopped playing here, and do hope this is a problem that is eventually solved. I'd be highly interested in seeing how.
I’ve got the power of god and anime on my side!