-deletecharacter in combat triggers

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Seven Sons of Sin

-deletecharacter in combat triggers

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:04 pm

-laststand

Perhaps to promote more climatic and "epic" feels is giving players the final moments of interaction with PvP.

The design is something like,

a) when a character types -deletecharacter in the Fugue, they get a dialogue box where they are resurrected back into their body for X minutes.
b) the character cannot functionally do anything beyond typing (and maybe can drop 1 item or something)
c) after X minutes, they expire and roll

Right now, the PvP system actually punishes any player who wants to have the classic 'Forgive me, I couldn't save the little ones, I have failed you'- Boromir moment.

This idea is supported in a lot of PnP, and even some current RPGs (like Wildermyth), where DMs usually let players have a final round of action in the wake of being killed. Or a final exchange of dialogue.

I think you'd want to tie to -deletecharacter somehow and make it a part of a broader "I elect permadeath system."

There's even a world where you could use it outside of a strictly PvP scenario, to play out things like curses, old age, RP assassinations, etc.

I really, really champion the "one day, they did get killed, and they did die forever" mentality, but I think a narrative gap in our mechanical system has been to allow for those final moments in those scenarios. They'd enrich a lot of story, and a lot of character, and I bet you could lead to some of folks favourite moments on the server.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Watchful Glare

Re: -deletecharacter in combat triggers

Post by Watchful Glare » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:52 pm

Potentially, do you believe the same could be achieved by sending a Tell to the other party informing them of your decision, so they could resurrect your character to let it play out?
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:04 am

I dig it. I think back to when certain characters rolled and there was a definite sting of anticlimactic-ness since the player never got an opportunity to close the scene.

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:12 am

I get the positives of it, though I'm not so sure how well it would work in play.

In tabletop it can be transmitted fairly easily that the character is having a "final moment" and rounds/actions can resolve in as short or as long of a time period as you like. I'm not so sure it would translate well to a Persistent World handled in real time. I can also already think of some ways to abuse it.

I'd rather see a shift in the culture for subdue being the go to and then followed by killing as needed. In the interim between being subdued and death you can have your moment. I think going that way (and making whatever changes could make that more feasible) would better serve making death have more RP weight.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:45 am

I'd like that. Sometimes all you want is to RP a little more to say some meaningful stuff before dying, rather than just a frantic PvP sesh. You can whisper the other person to use subdual/raise you, but that also takes the surprise out of it for at least one or some of them.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:10 am

Watchful Glare wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:52 pm
Potentially, do you believe the same could be achieved by sending a Tell to the other party informing them of your decision, so they could resurrect your character to let it play out?
Totally do-able that way. But there's likely a bunch of scenarios where this isn't feasible / desirable. A classic one being your party finding you post-battle, where there is no 'other side' really around. It then gets a little awkward to communicate this using just emotes - I think limiting Tells is always a good thing. It would add more to a "shock" element.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:15 am

Just use subdual, always use subdual. I cannot think of a valid reason why people do not want subdual mode.... it is the same result and less grief to the losing party. There is only one thing missing, the loser do not get death penalty for hours.

Then there’s all the time in the world to play final moment
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

perseid

Post by perseid » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:55 am

xf1313 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:15 am
Just use subdual, always use subdual. I cannot think of a valid reason why people do not want subdual mode.... it is the same result and less grief to the losing party. There is only one thing missing, the loser do not get death penalty for hours.

The difference is that a subdued player can still eventually take actions in the same ongoing situation again and doesn't count with regard to the 24-hour rule.

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:24 am

perseid wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:55 am
xf1313 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:15 am

The difference is that a subdued player can still eventually take actions in the same ongoing situation again and doesn't count with regard to the 24-hour rule.
On going situations? Hm...a bit hard for me to picture that (a bunch of unconscious bodied just pop up from the floor and start another round?)

Why it is so important to mechanically kill rather than rp a kill. When we are rping anyways.
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:41 am

There is nothing stopping a player from typing -delete_character twice if they want to. I do not believe additional console commands are needed to achieve this.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.