Writ Descriptions - Room for Improvement Zone

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Writ Descriptions - Room for Improvement Zone

Post by Sincra » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:30 pm

This thread is the designated spot for any and all writs you think fall into one of the following:

1. Lacks the spicy flavour of theme and/or lore.
2. Spelling Mistakes.
3. Not clear enough directions.
4. Not clear enough targets.
5. Mistakes in directions.
6. Mistakes in quest targets.

For a report please follow this format:

The writ:
<Name Here>

The Issue:
<Which of the above list items it applies to>

The Issue Description:
<Image or text, preferably as clear as possible so providing both works too>

If you are reporting for item 1, please also include:
What is incorrect or needs expansion about the theme and/or lore:
<Here>
Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.

Aeribelle

Re: Writ Descriptions - Room for Improvement Zone

Post by Aeribelle » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:56 am

The writ:
Courier: A Taste of Color (Both Versions)

The Issue:

The Issue Description:
The quest calls for you to find Fiona in the Merchant Guild. The Merchant guild has since been removed, and the NPC that actually accepts this 'turn in' is Flora, in the Westcliff Outside area, in the grouping of stalls.

Angelina Janelle Evelaar, Crippled Aasmir Bardess, Trade Ministry of Cordor
"Raphillianna", Crazed "Melanti" Sea Elf Bardess (Retired)
Ayleese Hildherte, Firbolg Seer, Chancellor's Aide (Retired)

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:31 am

The Writs:

The Deep Well Hunt - The Cavern of Mist
The Deep Well Hunt - The Legion Lord
The Deep Well Hunt - The Master of Horror
The Deep Well Hunt - The Malaugrym Grandmaster
The Deep Well Hunt - The Corrupted Matriarch
The Deep Well Hunt - The Guardian Naga
The Deep Well Hunt - The Sauriel Hornhead Lord
The Deep Well Hunt - The Greater Gemstone Golem
The Deep Well Hunt - The Ancient Wyrm
Did I miss any? I may have done them on my character so they're not listed any more.

The Issue:
The objectives are great, and are as vague as I think they should be given how much of a maze the wells are meant to be. I think adding a bit more of a flavour text to them would help add some depth to the lore of the area, though. Currently all of these writs have an identical description.

I'm honestly not much of a lore swot but I'd be willing to give writing a couple of these a go, with appropriate permission.

God_In_Action

Post by God_In_Action » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:30 pm

The Stone Gauntlet, taken from Guldorand. It directs you to find The Stone Gauntlet through the Flooded Caverns which are in the Skull Crags. Even now I'm not sure how I found it. It would help if it explained which area was meant by the Skull Crags, since this seems to refer to the mountain as a whole rather than an identifiable area.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:57 am

Aeribelle wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:56 am
The writ:
Courier: A Taste of Color (Both Versions)

The Issue:

The Issue Description:
The quest calls for you to find Fiona in the Merchant Guild. The Merchant guild has since been removed, and the NPC that actually accepts this 'turn in' is Flora, in the Westcliff Outside area, in the grouping of stalls.

This writ has been updated!
MRFTW wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:31 am
The Writs:

The Deep Well Hunt - The Cavern of Mist
The Deep Well Hunt - The Legion Lord
The Deep Well Hunt - The Master of Horror
The Deep Well Hunt - The Malaugrym Grandmaster
The Deep Well Hunt - The Corrupted Matriarch
The Deep Well Hunt - The Guardian Naga
The Deep Well Hunt - The Sauriel Hornhead Lord
The Deep Well Hunt - The Greater Gemstone Golem
The Deep Well Hunt - The Ancient Wyrm
Did I miss any? I may have done them on my character so they're not listed any more.

The Issue:
The objectives are great, and are as vague as I think they should be given how much of a maze the wells are meant to be. I think adding a bit more of a flavour text to them would help add some depth to the lore of the area, though. Currently all of these writs have an identical description.

I'm honestly not much of a lore swot but I'd be willing to give writing a couple of these a go, with appropriate permission.
I can work on these but given the nature of the Deep Wells it'll be tricky for me to do so without having actually done these writs myself. I'll work on them as my current character confronts them!
God_In_Action wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:30 pm
The Stone Gauntlet, taken from Guldorand. It directs you to find The Stone Gauntlet through the Flooded Caverns which are in the Skull Crags. Even now I'm not sure how I found it. It would help if it explained which area was meant by the Skull Crags, since this seems to refer to the mountain as a whole rather than an identifiable area.
Working on this now, will be in the next batch.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Sandrow
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Sandrow » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:14 pm

May we have a wiki page or some place to consult all writ descriptions? Since once the writs are finished, we don't have access to report with details.

Inconsist description for morg from writs of earthkin village and radiant heart.

I forget what they actually are, but the two writs aims at same morg are spelled differently by name

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:28 am

Sandrow wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:14 pm
May we have a wiki page or some place to consult all writ descriptions? Since once the writs are finished, we don't have access to report with details.

Inconsist description for morg from writs of earthkin village and radiant heart.

I forget what they actually are, but the two writs aims at same morg are spelled differently by name
If you're talking about Morghuun/Morghun/Morguhn/Morgun/Morguun the Black this is.....................................

look im not saying its impossible

but i think we might just have to let that one slide a lil.

I can update the writ texts to use the boss' actual name but there's a whole host of other references to him that aren't correct either. Chalk it up to him being the server's "big bad" for twenty RL years and things getting mistranslated.

Irongron wrote:

Sandrow
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Sandrow » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:32 am

Kuma wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:28 am
Sandrow wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:14 pm

If you're talking about Morghuun/Morghun/Morguhn/Morgun/Morguun the Black this is.....................................

look im not saying its impossible

but i think we might just have to let that one slide a lil.

I can update the writ texts to use the boss' actual name but there's a whole host of other references to him that aren't correct either. Chalk it up to him being the server's "big bad" for twenty RL years and things getting mistranslated.
How about describe him as a big bad with many names?
" He has many names, earthkins call him Morghuun, human call him Morghun. In tales of bard, he is Morguhn, Morguhn or Morguun. "

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:11 am

Sandrow wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:32 am
How about describe him as a big bad with many names?
" He has many names, earthkins call him Morghuun, human call him Morghun. In tales of bard, he is Morguhn, Morguhn or Morguun. "
I'd love this idea more if they were pronounced any differently - and as much as I'd like to go Usidore the Blue with his titles, a paragraph's writ description isn't the place for it.

I will bear that in mind for another NPC to explain why his name has been distorted so much.

Irongron wrote:

God_In_Action

Post by God_In_Action » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:46 am

Queen of the Vampires writ has a final objective behind a locked door. It would be helpful in the writ description to know that a locksmith might be needed, similar to how the Kohlringen writs in Sibayad tell you that you'll need a boat.

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:06 am

One of the radiantheart writ wants people to find Udo in UD, but the location is like...you find this town that you never heard of and it is close to a mountain that is not on the map.

Maybe update the UD map to include that place? I play one character in UD and I have no idea where that Udo thing is.
——————
I see ...my character has followed 2 groups of people to UD and both of them where very lost, the only result of that is ... old players have knowledge of that location, and that is the only possible way to find it.

I have no quarrel with keeping places hard to find, the problem I want to point out is that the location hints were useless. I would rather have something like it lies somewhere in upperdark/lower dark and close to some river etc.
Last edited by xf1313 on Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:14 am

xf1313 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:06 am
One of the radiantheart writ wants people to find Udo in UD, but the location is like...you find this town that you never heard of and it is close to a mountain that is not on the map.

Maybe update the UD map to include that place? I play one character in UD and I have no idea where that Udo thing is.
This one I'm not touching because it's usually the final or next to final writ on the Radiant Heart questline - and kind of a big deal. You should be banding together with other characters to figure out where you're being sent to. I think its difficulty is intentional.
God_In_Action wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:46 am
Queen of the Vampires writ has a final objective behind a locked door. It would be helpful in the writ description to know that a locksmith might be needed, similar to how the Kohlringen writs in Sibayad tell you that you'll need a boat.
Will investigate.

Irongron wrote:

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:17 pm

The writ:
Fallen Slyth

The Issue:
The initial task is also named elsewhere in the Underdark. Due to the fact that this writ and that area (e.g. formorians and fungi are) are very natural environment-oriented, it leaves people believing it's the wrong Meld as it's likely the first one they'll get to.

The Issue Description:

If you are reporting for item 1, please also include:
What is incorrect or needs expansion about the theme and/or lore:
Given that the Meld named in this writ is the original Meld on the server, the other one should likely be renamed. The other one is located in Boletus which is east of Andunor past the Great Scar (River) map.

God_In_Action

Post by God_In_Action » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:37 pm

Just a small suggestion this one, not necessarily that important or major-

Writ:
The Cloaker Embassy

Objective:
#3 is to kill an ancient cloaker

A Cloaker (Ancient) doesn't spawn inside the Cloaker Embassy, or through the otherside of the portal in the Cloaker Spiral, you have to go down into the Cloaker Root two areas away from the stated location of the writ to find one. A simple hint of where to find one for players who don't know the area in advance might be helpful.

Mattamue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Mattamue » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:27 pm

The writ:
Highway Patrols of Guldorand [LvL 14 - 22]

The Issue:
3. Not clear enough directions.
4. Not clear enough targets.

The Issue Description:
Current writ text:
current writ wrote: With ore being shipped from the copper mines and the City, produce from the farmsteads, and lumber from Westcliff, it is vital to keep the roads clear and the surrounding lands clear of brigands. The Founders' Council offers a stipend to those willing to brave the roads.
Objective 1: Take the Old Mine Road west of the Fortress City.
Objective 2: Visit the minehead, and take the trail down towards the Forested Valley.
Objective 3: Take the trail down towards the road, and follow it south.

Objective 3: Travel the road through Jormundul Rocks towards the Logging Camp.
Calling out objective 2 and 3 because they are a little confusing. If you read the objectives in order it seems like its suggesting that you're supposed to take the trail down towards the valley from the minehead. There isn't a trail down from the minehead to the valley, at least not that I saw. Instead, I returned back to the city and went South from there to complete the writ.
suggested tweak wrote: Objective 2: Visit the minehead.
Objective 3: Return to the city and take the trail down towards the Valley, and follow it South.

Who is the audience for this post?

Dreamcatching

Post by Dreamcatching » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:46 pm

The writ:
Cull the Derro

The Issue:
5. Mistake in Directions

The Issue Description:
As a first timer to the UD I searched a long time for the "Great Gate".
It was only after asking a player that led me there that it turned out it was referring to the "Deep Gate" All along.

It's a tiny mistake, but could be nice to see changed for (new) players relying on the mini map like I was.

Temde

Post by Temde » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:52 am

The writ:
A Dirty Web

The Issue:
3 Not clear enough directions.

The Issue Description:
It says "just outside the city Hub" but I thought "outside" as in, out the gates, I wandered around a good bit before I coincidentally came across The Spider's Web, which was in the opposite direction.
Maybe, reword it like,

The Spider's Web is a popular watering hole located in West Wheel, just outside the city Hub.