Conflict and mass PvP.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Conflict and mass PvP.

Post by MissEvelyn » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:08 pm

I think it's a good idea for an MMO or even an action server, but I agree that it wouldn't be good here. Hence why I recommended the demiplane thing. Not for myself, I wouldn't set a single foot there ever. But more so that our PvP-starved players can have a place to indulge and take their PvP hunger out on others of similar mind.

Of course, such individuals could also just play arena videogames with real PvP (that requires skill over character stats), but it would be rude and unwelcoming to suggest they play another game 🙂

Tesla420

Post by Tesla420 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:26 pm

Skal has a level 16- rule for a reason.

I am not talking about bringing Warsong Gulch into Arelith.

I am talking about making another island like Skal.

The ship sailing system is pretty close to the vision of what this island can be. It is arguably the OOC healthiest conflict on the server atm. We should examine it and try to repeat what it did right - except on land this time and not reliant on the sail skill / ship claims.
Gregor Blackbreath, Elindros Ama'Alar

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:03 am

Tried sailing for a bit. It really gets people together, to talk or get bored to death LOL. Most ships on cliff has to be rented and the captain always trying to bring everyone (30 or lv 6, doesn’t matter). And peoples are bard-starved XD.

It is most PVE but certainly feels like pvp.

I would like to see mass pvp to be something that potentially have impact on the world. For one, reclaiming Benwick or Mimir? One of my characters really got sick of the undead there. Or some work to rebuild wharftown? I feel there are too many ruins already...we can use some little villages
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

godhand-
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by godhand- » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:22 am

-XXX- wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:43 am
godhand- wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:41 am
This has been suggested in the past. It's... not a good idea and here's why:

Ship system works because the way it is set up it ensures that every ship "in the game" is fully crewed with players subscribing to play "the game".
What you're proposing there is running a "ship" that can not only be sunk when it's "moored" and its PC crew is offline, but even taken over.

Timezones are a thing and I don't think that there's even ever been a faction able to sustain a 24/7 presence on Arelith. The proposed system would REWARD figuring out and taking advantage of the time window when your opponents are offline.

Players are clever and the AI is not - you could have these be another Lost Bastille with a dozen of Paushes patrolling the hallways and a moderately sized PC party would still be able to capture it with little to no effort.

Also the lockdown would get abused by allied settlements that'd keep taking over each other's castles in order to lock third parties out.
So, for me, part of the appeal of an idea like this is the fact it CAN get overtaken when people aren't online. I feel some playerss are extremely opposed to any form of taking a loss.
Attacks happen in the cover of night when people are not prepared for it. Attacks happen when people are asleep. Attacks happen when your army is off defending something else. You can't have all your armies on guard at a time, or else other things are left undefended.
So for me, i think the idea of saying "they took the keep while our armies were busy defending something else" brings alot more to a story than "We have a powerful presence when we're online and can't lose it offline and therefore its ours 5eva" because i think the approach leads to turtling and logging off to avoid consequences.

This, however would be offset by a few things.... I envisage that... a "max upgraded" keep, would take perhaps 10 players on cannons 15 minutes to break down each wall, 5 players 30 minutes to break down. Between the two walls AND npc guards it could take 45-90 minutes to take the keep.... So you can't just have a team of 3 people doing the work in the "off-hours". It requires a significant group to do.
The wall could also have npcs firing arrows on people using cannons etc - so you need supporting toons to deal with npcs while using cannons etc. to delay this process. it is, after all, a seige.

Another part of this, is the gold sink. I'd envisage the financial cost of laying seige to be significant, and equally so maintaining/upgrading the keep. I'm talking in the value of millions of gold.
"Also the lockdown would get abused by allied settlements that'd keep taking over each other's castles in order to lock third parties out."
The lockdown is an exteded version of the 48hr rule - but for seiging the keep its a 7/14 day rule.

This was intended as a surface/vs andunor system - rather than settlement vs settlement. The theory is only people from x settlement can make changes/upgrades to the keep.
eg:
Cordor owns the keep. Cordor citizens can do upgrades with supply in stock. All other citizens of surface settlements can gain access to and defend the keep. Underdark citizens cannot gain access at all.

However, One settlement attacking the keep of another on the surface? That would cause some interesting tensions don't you think? Especially considering the idea would be for the individual settlements of surface (or) individual settlements of UD to unite to work together to make such a thing possible given the financial costs.

AnselHoenheim wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:45 pm
godhand- wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:41 am
I'm thinking this idea is terrible and mostly one sided, as there is no keeps in Andunor that could affect their writ footage, they could just siege with no consequences against their own settlement, along, with forcing the narrative of pvp combat to people who are not part of any faction / settlement just by locking down writs. Is this what we really want to Arelith now?
Sorry but i don't follow. Can you please explain how you came ot this conclusion? Once i understand your point i could potentially address your concerns.

How does anything i said have to do with writs and "writ footage"? I'm going to assume you're referring to where i mentioned supply /warded packages - which i inferred that that a similiar mechanic (no teleport, or running, or fast travel) could be used to encourage supply convoy roleplay, and potential supply convoy ambush opportunities too.
Cortex wrote: Addendum, the immediate above post by godhand is wrong in about every aspect, as were most of his other posts.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:08 am

What would be better is for the PGCC to continue development towards the arena style play instead of introducing this into the main server. Let people -transfer their characters into PGCC and just have fun in like a CTF or deathmatch style game to get out their bashings. I think it would be a very humbling experience for players that like to throw their weight around in game.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:55 am

godhand- wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:22 am
So, for me, part of the appeal of an idea like this is the fact it CAN get overtaken when people aren't online. I feel some playerss are extremely opposed to any form of taking a loss.
Attacks happen in the cover of night when people are not prepared for it. Attacks happen when people are asleep. Attacks happen when your army is off defending something else. You can't have all your armies on guard at a time, or else other things are left undefended.
So for me, i think the idea of saying "they took the keep while our armies were busy defending something else" brings alot more to a story than "We have a powerful presence when we're online and can't lose it offline and therefore its ours 5eva" because i think the approach leads to turtling and logging off to avoid consequences.
I think that there's certain irony behind criticising consequence avoidance while advocating for interaction with players while they are offline.
While I agree that turtle defense can be annoying, this would open up an avenue to avoid consequences by attacking players only when they are offline and logging off the moment they log back on, which is not any better IMO.

TBH, I doubt that Arelith players would even engage with such system as it doesn't seem to me like something that they'd want or appreciate - just look at how controversial topic even something like quarterbreaking can be.
We already do have castles that serve as gold sinks that anybody can interact with. What you are proposing is countering gold coin investments that reach into millions with the ability to clear a single dungeon once. There's a striking imbalance in that.

Timezones are a thing - there are entire factions that won't ever interact with each other because their members are active during the hours when the members of the other faction are asleep/at work and vice versa.
As I mentioned in a previous thread, intentional turtle defense isn't as common as people make it out to be and what might look like turtle defense at the first glance is often a simple case of playtime misalignment.
There's a lot to be said about picking one's adversaries more carefully and making sure that whoever we choose to RP conflict with can be present for that.

This is a game that people play for fun and nobody should feel compelled to log in when they don't feel like playing at the time. There are mechanics and rules in place ensuring that players don't sit on IG realestate when they're not active enough.

-----
But, so that my posts aren't entirely contrarian. An option for factions or settlements to divert resources for castle sieges might be interesting - buying NPCs and siege engines that'd attack the castle if and when the castle defenders could organize and trigger some kind of spawning instance.
Not defending the keep would then increase the property's upkeep, so that this wouldn't get ignored (for example).

IMO better inspiration could be found in 4X games rather than MMO arena games.