A bit of a IMPish love

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Cagus

A bit of a IMPish love

Post by Cagus » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:36 pm

Hello,
I wish to address the imps polymorph.
It is a very impractical way to polymorph, as an item with a spell effect. When you change server, this polymorph is dismissed and mostly you have a cooldown on the skill, which means you cannot morph again. Actually, the first and only wand I got was the polymorph self wand, and even though I thought I will use it sparingly, I am going through the charges quickly.

It would be much more convenient to use the same model change mechanism, as is used with yuan-ti and hag, which are only greater award, in contrast to maior reward price on the imp.

I am not saying give something new or more to the imp, I am saying change what he has, so it can be better used.

Thanks and have a impish day

Hazard

Re: A bit of a IMPish love

Post by Hazard » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:00 pm

That's a great idea.

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:45 am

Cagus wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:36 pm
I am not saying give something new or more to the imp, I am saying change what he has, so it can be better used.
I'll say give them something new. It would be great if they could turn into a choice of small critters- like bat, spider, rat, raven and cat.

Cagus

Post by Cagus » Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:54 pm

... and goat >:-)

But I am here to just add to the argument.
Everytime when you go thuoght location transition, the animation of re-mophing flashes. Sells you out first time you change location.
And also, every autosave or save does the same, because it has to un-morph you to be able to save. So you are just standing, talking... then flash boom boom.

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:01 pm

I would say let them take any of the new familiar animal shapes. Nobody takes Polymorph Self shapes seriously but if an imp could pose as a mouse or cat for an extended period of time, that would be a game changer. Imagine being able to trick someone into adopting you as their “pet” while working on a plan to corrupt them long term…

Cagus

Post by Cagus » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:56 pm

I like that idea with familiar shapes. It is actually role for an imp. To play a familiar. Now, you are only limited to UD with current system.

But why am I here now is: Is it possible to give imps glowing eyes as class feature? (I mean, if I have invoker, warlock etc., the model of ipm doesn't show the glow at all).

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Monkey » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:12 am

Remember to keep these things to feedback rather than suggestions.

An Imp's ability by lore is a polymorph, so it should be able to be stripped by magic - but it would be really cool to see them pick up the Wildshape that a Fey Pact Warlock gets (implemented in a similar way). They typically change into smaller animals, rats, spiders, etc.

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.

Cagus

Post by Cagus » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:15 pm

DM Monkey wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:12 am
An Imp's ability by lore is a polymorph, so it should be able to be stripped by magic ...
Yes, but so are the other examples, like
  • Hag in 3.5 uses Disguise Self (ill), as spell-like ability. It is even 1 circle spell.
    (And even in 5e: "Illusory Appearance: The hag covers herself and anything she is wearing or carrying with a magical Illusion that makes her look like another creature of her general size and Humanoid shape")
  • Yuan-ti: 3.5e "Alternate Form (Sp): All yuan-ti can assume the form of a Tiny to
    Large viper (see the Snake entry, page 280) as a psionic ability. This
    ability is similar to a polymorph spell (caster level 19th), but a yuanti does not regain any hit points for changing form, and it can only
    assume viper forms."
But those are implemented in different way. Imp for being a major gift, has his ability to change and mask his nature done in fashion, which effectively makes it unusable for any shapenchange/maskYourNature RP play (not speaking about the potion, which can be used by anyone and works the same way).

mourisson1

Post by mourisson1 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:26 pm

DM Monkey wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:12 am
Remember to keep these things to feedback rather than suggestions.

An Imp's ability by lore is a polymorph, so it should be able to be stripped by magic - but it would be really cool to see them pick up the Wildshape that a Fey Pact Warlock gets (implemented in a similar way). They typically change into smaller animals, rats, spiders, etc.

I dont think that being able to dispell the form was the issue presented here, but more like incredibly noisy flashy green VFX that appears incredibly often, so it just annoys everyone, and as an addition the inconsistency of this imp polymorph not staying through server transfers, so one accidental transfer can really screw you, if you accidentaly appear as an imp in the middle of the group where you were RPing as a pixie spying on them.

This feature implemented as it is just at all doesnt support any interesting RP. It harms your RP experience with its implementation, and thus is just an empty thing for imp to have. Which was understandable when there was no solution. Now there is, we've seen it with hag and the other.

(I'd also say that if you want only "feedback", everyone should write "hey pixie form for imp sucks, it's bad, rework it", but what you are receiving here seems to me like constructive feedback, and It seems weird to me having an issue with this, as constructive feedback is incredibly usefull in any development ;) I know suggestions are closed, but if that means people should stop giving constructive feedback, then it feels incredibly bad to me )

P.S.: To avoid arguments like "the servers are cut by leylines so it should dispell magic": it doesnt do that for buffs/summons.
Lothias Mour'rek - Gone. Or is he?
Locika Querrestalo - For holy light

Za-Lord~s Guard

Post by Za-Lord~s Guard » Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:33 pm

I think the devs vision for imps differs from the established lore of imps, and rather than allowing them to act as corrupting agents able to conceal themselves among a population they're meant to stick out as obviously evil winged mascots of infernal philosophy. It would be nice to see them brought closer to the lore for imps, especially as it would open up new avenues of roleplay and interaction through deception that were previously either limited or entirely unavailable.

Even if they could just disguise themselves as a rat, it would go a long way from where they are now.
"I don't believe in fairies!" - Harry Dresden, the Dresden Files