Stability Issues.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

I will never sleep

Stability Issues.

Post by I will never sleep » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:28 am

Hello.

I am not sure if this is the right place to talk about this, so if it is not, I apologize in advance, but my frustration has boiled over recently and I am curious as to thoughts.

I have noticed in the past few months that stability has taken a severe downturn on Arelith. Notably, crashing. It feels as though the game has a severe memory leak because 95% of the time when you cross a server transition or change servers, you are bound to ctd. If not... soon after, eventually. Or desync or some other issue that forces you to restart. So it is just good practice to begin to restart your entire client after every single server transition you make. Which... after playing for a while gets grating pretty fast. Even going to the docks in Cordor- to use the actually good peddler there results in you eventually having to close the client.

It didn't used to be this bad. Myself and many other people have experienced it beyond just anecdotes, but I don't see much discussion on server stability beyond just some idle griping. Mind, I am not sure if it is a Beamdog Issue or an Arelith issue. I am hoping for some clarity on that.

neverwinternightly

Re: Stability Issues.

Post by neverwinternightly » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:11 am

I don't experience crashes THAT often myself, but I can fully agree with the fact that desync issues are running rampant for me. They used to be something I experienced every once in a while, but now if I cross a server transition, I'd say I expect to require a full restart about 80% of the time? It's not the end of the world, but if you're a character that moves around a lot it can be grating!

Watchful Glare

Post by Watchful Glare » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:00 am

I will never sleep wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:28 am
Hello.

I am not sure if this is the right place to talk about this, so if it is not, I apologize in advance, but my frustration has boiled over recently and I am curious as to thoughts.

I have noticed in the past few months that stability has taken a severe downturn on Arelith. Notably, crashing. It feels as though the game has a severe memory leak because 95% of the time when you cross a server transition or change servers, you are bound to ctd. If not... soon after, eventually. Or desync or some other issue that forces you to restart. So it is just good practice to begin to restart your entire client after every single server transition you make. Which... after playing for a while gets grating pretty fast. Even going to the docks in Cordor- to use the actually good peddler there results in you eventually having to close the client.

It didn't used to be this bad. Myself and many other people have experienced it beyond just anecdotes, but I don't see much discussion on server stability beyond just some idle griping. Mind, I am not sure if it is a Beamdog Issue or an Arelith issue. I am hoping for some clarity on that.
This has been my experience too. Or 'eternal loading screens'.
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

Slapstick

Post by Slapstick » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:50 am

Desync has become a problem, and I think it came after they vastly improved loading times. To be honest I'd rather restart every few hours than spend half my time looking at loading screens.

However, on a character who relies on summons it's a much bigger issue. If it was possible to retain summons on logout/timeout I think it would be a valuable bandaid if the issues persist.

riffraff

Post by riffraff » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:33 am

I've noticed an increase in desyncs just lately as well. It feels like more times than not I seem to desync on a screen transition, which is a minor inconvenience in a settlement, but if I'm travelling across the Surface it's incredibly frustrating, especially with losing summons, as Slaptstick says.

I'm not sure if there might be specific times where it's worse as usually I experience it pretty frequently in a playthrough (as neverwinternightly said, maybe 80% of the time), but I was playing yesterday and kiting enemies across screen transitions repeatedly without any desyncs at all. Is it tied to server load and peak times?
cold chuckle

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:45 am

when you load in to an area, watch your right screen log. you can count the seconds that it takes for the log msgs to appear with the area specs magic teleport death pvp etc, which after they do you can move and dont crash out.

if you try to move prior, odds are you upset the final loading in and will crash.

its like the screen load is faster, but in some instances the actual area load is dragging.
Yes I can sign

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:03 pm

Slapstick wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:50 am
Desync has become a problem, and I think it came after they vastly improved loading times. To be honest I'd rather restart every few hours than spend half my time looking at loading screens.

However, on a character who relies on summons it's a much bigger issue. If it was possible to retain summons on logout/timeout I think it would be a valuable bandaid if the issues persist.
Incorrect. Desyncs have been around for months - it’s likely a hak content issue. But it’s hard to isolate down to what it is.

As for crashes, I rarely ever crash on the server. I also rarely desync too. If you are crashing to desktop and it’s producing an error log, let us know. If it’s not producing a log, it’s not NWN crashing but another process ending NWN.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

falafel

Post by falafel » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:00 pm

Glad that I am not only one facing the crashing issue. Every single time after area transition, my game crashes once or twice (second time after logging in). This problem became more frequent after updating to Windows 11, so I thought that it was something related to that.

I will never sleep

Post by I will never sleep » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:03 pm

Spyre wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:03 pm
Slapstick wrote:

Incorrect. Desyncs have been around for months - it’s likely a hak content issue. But it’s hard to isolate down to what it is.

As for crashes, I rarely ever crash on the server. I also rarely desync too. If you are crashing to desktop and it’s producing an error log, let us know. If it’s not producing a log, it’s not NWN crashing but another process ending NWN.
Most of the time it is an errorless CTD. But plenty of times there are.

Is this the proper place to post the contents of these?

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:44 pm

I ran through the warftown boys yesterday and I lost connection 3 times (maybe related to my internet), stopped loading once, and desynced twice. I've never seen it that bad before, but the rest of the day was mostly fine (there were a few desyncs but I probably saved time overall with the load screen speedup)

CTD is very rare though.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:10 pm

I've noticed my game freezes more often on loading screens, requireing a ctrl, alt, del forced shutdown of the game. Doesn't happen often. Maybe one or twice in a three hour window.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:07 pm

I will never sleep wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:03 pm
Spyre wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:03 pm
Slapstick wrote:

Most of the time it is an errorless CTD. But plenty of times there are.

Is this the proper place to post the contents of these?
Shoot me a few of those on Discord.

Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Arienette
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Arienette » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:29 am

I crash every time I run though a certain area. Been this way for a lot a month.

In the lowerdark cavern with the dragon ritual. About the point you run past the dragon skeletons towards the northeast transition to mind flayer area.

Like clockwork

Cagus

Post by Cagus » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:09 pm

Watchful Glare wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:00 am
Or 'eternal loading screens'.
I think this is caused by game not putting the loading screen image off. When I get the transparent window there, I can see behind it my character waiting at the transition of the new area.

But generally I agree, that something changed in last months. Now it is like restarting the game every hour (if you do something more than just standing around and reading PC's pins).

Felmilk

Post by Felmilk » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:20 am

Yeah, I've been having all these same problems and I'm sure it's not just me, because sometimes we all crash to desktop at the same time. By 'us all' I mean all the players I'm walking with or doing things with and we're not even in the same countries (I assume). Constantly having to restart because of de-sync too, and I can obviously see I'm not the only one because it's very common for me to get tells "brb, enhanced." and see people relog.

Lord Blacktooth

Post by Lord Blacktooth » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:48 pm

Same issue for me and many others in Cordor.
Outskirts is a 50% crash zone lately to give but one example.
Extreamly iritating for those that use summons do.

But as others said. Rather this and faster area load times if its even related.

Rievetel

Post by Rievetel » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:05 pm

I'll go ahead and note here rather than make a repeat topic that transitional crashes either between servers, areas or during and after scrying have more often than not, caused load screen freezes for me. Server transitions fail to locate the receiving server resulting in an 'Unable to Connect' popup. Numerous crashes in which the game will close without a 'Program has stopped working' popup and other times with the crash logs.

At first I had attempted clearing out Mods, Verifying Integrity of Game Files, full uninstall of NWN and Arelith including stripping residual files.

I have noticed however in the last week, almost two now, that these crashes, fits of lag, desyncing, loss of chat logging (receiving and sending message that do no appear in window or combat log) become outstandingly unbearable around 7-8pm CST regardless of it being a weekday or weekend/low population or high. It often makes the server entirely unplayable and this pain in connectivity is only persistent on NWN. It does not extend into other applications that I may swap to or have open, internet browsing, discord, other steam games. I don't play on any other NWN server, but am also aware that it doesn't effect everyone the same way.

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:52 am

Something is definitely broke, almost every time i move from one server to another i have issues and sometimes its not even just inter-server but ill have issues even moving between two areas on the same server. Not so much crashes thankfully but it makes the game glitch out bad unless i exit the program

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rei_Jin » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:06 am

Exordius wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:52 am
Something is definitely broke, almost every time i move from one server to another i have issues and sometimes its not even just inter-server but ill have issues even moving between two areas on the same server. Not so much crashes thankfully but it makes the game glitch out bad unless i exit the program
The number of times I will crash while loading into an area, or get severe graphics glitches that cause the game to partially load an area (so I get a black screen and can see people, but not hear anything, or I get weird characters added to my party, feats activating that i don't have, etc etc) or even have it partially load an area and then crash after 10 seconds of idling...

It has only happened since the "enhancements" that load areas faster.

Definately Not A Mimic

Post by Definately Not A Mimic » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:53 pm

I've only noticed the crashes and desync considerably worse over the last week, two at most. Yes for a while there was the issue when loading into a new server, typically for me it was Guldorand and when leaving the monastery, that you would be stuck running in spot and have to close everything all the way down to get fixed. That slowly became less and less as the team worked on it till it rarely happened, at least for me.
Over the last week though I've been having many more instances of after transitioning onto a new server and playing for five to ten min then sudden crash. Sometimes it is just everything bugged out on screen unable to see npcs and such, sometimes its the lovely loading bar going nowhere and sometimes the entire game just decides to go poof and close all on its own.
I don't know what update or behind scenes debugging may have triggered it recently but its been pretty bad. Traveling a few nights ago in the game with four of us total I believe we all crashed or had to relog at least four times each.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:23 pm

There have been no changes or stability modifications.

Watchful Glare

Post by Watchful Glare » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:57 pm

The game has been steadily bad and worse lately in terms of stability. Certain areas like Cordor or the 'big cities' will cause some sort of memory leak eventually or crash. Guldorand has been specially bad too. (You stat seeing black squares in your party, yourself invited to it, 1/1 creatures, weird things start happening then your client crashes) that were not like that before.

You don't see certain models or assets dont' load.

I find I have to manually restart the game very often, or close it.

I have reinstalled the game in an attempt to get rid of this, no noticeable change. It only happens when playing Arelith, too.

I can offer the crash 'logs' I have if they would be any help.
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

Ravenhart

Post by Ravenhart » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:32 pm

I will agree, I have been having increased stability issues here lately as well. Sometimes it is when I am transitioning between areas where I get "stuck" running in place and I have to close all the way down to the desktop and log back in to fix whatever is happening. There are other times that I will be going along and all of a sudden, I just crash out of nowhere. I have noticed to when I am in party, I will end up with tells in a domino effect that we are crashing going through the same instance sometimes. There are times I will load into a major city and doors are missing or something of the sort. This causes me to have to close the client all the way down to the desktop. This only affects me on Arelith. I can provide logs if needed. This has increased within the last couple months or so that I have noticed and can happen upwards of six times in about a 5-hour period of play time and I am usually on anywhere from 8pm to 4am eastern time USA where I am located and there are not many people on. This happens also going from server to server. I even once had it make me choose the server again when transitioning from server to server once which was odd.
Playing as Ravnhart

Arienette

Post by Arienette » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:31 am

Today, I was with a party of three. We walked into the Ruins of Tolllidor zone. Two of us had the “zone fails to load forever” crash. Upon re entry, we all crashed again, including the 1 of 3 that did not crash on entry.

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rei_Jin » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:26 am

I have honestly been having these issues ever since this update

https://discord.com/channels/6518790256 ... 3008011315

I expect the two are related