Smashing Chests

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

kinginyellow

Re: Smashing Chests

Post by kinginyellow » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:56 pm

I will never sleep wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:47 pm
If you were invested in ol/dt you were almost gauranteed to be invested in search as well, so. I could be wrong, but I do not remember.
You needed search to find traps, so yes, if you had open lock, you had disable trap, and you had search. So you'd always get more loot from chests.

satan

Post by satan » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:36 pm

I took a couple years off and that's how it used to be. Break the box and you'd get some gold and maybe... something else..rarely.

But since this is being talked about is there any way to turn off the summons bum rushing boxes to smash them the second you hear the click locked box sound? It's annoying having to tool them to stand still before you even check a box to curb their destructive tendencies.
Xyxz - Goblin spider druid. RIP
Flail - Orog weapon master RIP
Krom - Half orc Barbarian RIP
Glyngolyn - Firbolg Shadowdancer RIP
Jigjog - the least industrious Kobold ACTIVE
Muck - munching on carion. ACTIVE

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:07 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Eyeliner on Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrHishprung

Post by MrHishprung » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:54 pm

Eyeliner wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:07 pm
Just a thought but an idea for strength based characters... What if you could pick up chests and take them with you. Then you can find a rogue in town to open them if you couldn't do it yourself.
Better idea, why not use that strength to tie up a rouge/bard and carry it in bag? like TF2 heavy with pocket medic :D
Esta - Active Main
Queen of Penguins Lyne'arra - Semi-active Alt
Xyrmoira "Ghost" - Semi-active Alt
Eliath Jaluisurr - Shelved
Vegs - Shelved

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:58 pm

I guess I deserve that but… it was just a thought :|

Singleton

Post by Singleton » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:22 am

Heyo,

I don't really, really mind this change too much except one thing: Is the elephant in the room(Bards) going to be addressed at all?

I am a huge fan of Rogues but this simply benefits Bard way more and just elevates them even higher than before.

Is Bard being this good really the intended balance of Arelith? That's one of my biggest thoughts here, because that's the road we're currently on.

My character is a dumb buffoon that bashes things. My guy will lose out on a lot of gold, but I don't mind bringing a rogue to pick locks.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:56 am

While we're making Rogues (not Bards, I refuse to acknowledge this Mary Sue class) useful again, can we make Knock scrolls, potions, and wands require Thieves' Tools as a component to craft?

That would make Thieves' Tools and Knock both be valued more.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:45 pm

Helsing wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:02 pm
Ebonstar wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:13 pm
Helsing wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:46 pm
Does this means we shall dip 1 rogue for the juicy tumble, OL and disable traps skills and relevel everytime we level up so we are always xx/1 rogue?
you cannot do a one level dip anyhow 3 is the rule
you can if you always take rogue at last level, and whenever you level up, you do a -relevel :D
nope it wont let you continue with anything from the single level, you will be in the constant need to level loop
Yes I can sign

Rowlind Salem

Post by Rowlind Salem » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:56 pm

Getting that whole set of gear is a choice. You could forego cross classing spellcraft or whatever and use that for open lock/disable trap. If you want to breeze through these dungeons and grab all the otherwise locked loot then sacrifice something and invest the points. Nothing wrong with committing to the skills that you need to use regularly.

Make thieves tools part of your load out too. put some rogue or loremaster smiths to work.

Though I agree with the poster who said make them work for traps too, that's a very very good call.

I also think you should be able to have the option of popping a trap with a 10 ft pole. not disable it, but set it off, breaking the pole. That way a 10 ft pole could be a disposable item for getting past an epic trap you might not otherwise be able to.

All in all, the locks were never really locks in the first place, for the most part. Irongon is just talking about making locks actual locks instead of how it is now.

Honestly I'm just gonna smash the boxes anyway *mwhaha*

Rowlind Salem

Post by Rowlind Salem » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:57 pm

satan wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:36 pm
I took a couple years off and that's how it used to be. Break the box and you'd get some gold and maybe... something else..rarely.

But since this is being talked about is there any way to turn off the summons bum rushing boxes to smash them the second you hear the click locked box sound? It's annoying having to tool them to stand still before you even check a box to curb their destructive tendencies.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:04 pm

You don't have to take open lock to open chests. you can use knock scrolls.
You do have to take disarm trap to remove traps.
You do have to take open lock to open doors that can't be bashed.

The only time I've bashed chests in the past year is when they had permanent traps on them unlocking chests is not an issue for any class with a minor lore investment.

TurningLeaf
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by TurningLeaf » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:15 pm

My view is that player expectation would be, if you beat the boss you get to open a chest, maybe the boss had the key or something. But then there are other chests that are the kind of extra credit chests, often trapped and locked, behind locked doors and so on. I actually think this already may be the design for many areas, it's fairly standard.

Darkstorn42
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Darkstorn42 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:38 pm

Just to weigh in my opinion, which has already been said, I like incentivizing the use of lockpicking and detrapping characters for better loot. That said, that does not mean if you do not have one you should get no loot at all. So if bashing for worse loot is an option, that is what I would like to see over no loot.

Another option could be removing infinite traps so knock can be used to unlock and then your face to eat the trap for better loot (If you want to risk it cause some traps really hurt).

Izahne Tiller/Victoria Helbrecht - (Shelved)
Maile Aylomen
Zuulanii Ironblood
Ukyo Kuonji

Ordo.Lupus

Post by Ordo.Lupus » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:43 pm

To me this is quite a QoL punch in the face. One that could impact me to play only a certain few classes that are unaffected by this.

Some classes can easily spare the 2-4 skill points to invest in OL and DT but alot of other class builds might be very tight on the total amount of skillpoints available. Or they might have the few points to spare but those are first allocated in the epics when the dip occurs e.g. rogue/bard dip for tumble, UMD and now OL/DT/Search.

Knock spell is a good alternative but it doesn't work DC above 40 AND it doesnt work on doors. I do agree in that Knock shouldn't work on doors since these can be used to have areas with extra loot for those parties who are prepared (tin mines on Skal, giant lair in Minmir to name a few). I totally like the idea of a main bounty and then a few extra areas behind locked doors with bonus loot. But over the last 2-4 month I've actually found it quite hard to gather a group of people with the needed set of skills and abilities. Skal has a high throughput of characters and other settlements are often populated by epics. The latter pretty easily can gather a capable group but the former (I find) can struggle.

Traps... I like them and to some degree hate them. Even if Knock spell unlocks the damn chest or armor locker then you can still be denied by those infinte traps. So you better hope your DT skill is high enough.
I hate the infinite ones. But I wouldn't be super mad if it was something on runic chests. But they should definitely not be a thing in the <15 lvl dungeons. I'll admit that one reason why I've bashed chest on my current toon is because even if I've cast Knock then it's kinda wasted by those pesky traps. So I'd rather save the 150 gold scroll and just blast the chest to pieces with some spell of mine.

Someone suggested something akin to a skeleton key. We already got the summon buff restrictions via runic sequencers. I like the idea that a craftable consumable was needed in order to open chests. However I believe that the name of the chest used could benefit from a name change. Such that we have 'mundane', 'reinforced', 'heavily reinforced' prefixed to chests, armour lockers, cabinets etc.

Class discrepancies is also something worth mentioning. Wiz, Sorc, Hex and SS all get that nifty little pocket hin so this change won't affect them. Bards get pretty much all skills so they just laugh at this change. Rogues... well it might be the intention that rogues now should be a little favoured but honestly I don't think many rogue players care about this.
"To every man is given the key to the gates of heaven. The same key opens the gates of hell" - Richard P. Feynman

Kalthariam

Post by Kalthariam » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:42 pm

Regardless, the change isn't going to stop me from destroying chests.

I'm not going out of my way and wasting gold and inventory space to make a bunch of gear that's going to butcher my spellslots anyways on my characters, and give me more of a headache redoing everything than the contents of the chests ever will be worth.

There's no real point in investing in knock scrolls when over half the time the chest has an infinite trap on it, that somehow stops the player from just forcing the chest open and taking everything inside anyways. (Bonus points if your literally immune to the trap's damage, yet it still somehow stops you from opening the chest).

Just break every chest, armor stand, cabinet and weapon stand now. If you get nothing, then oh well you were getting nothing to begin with, if you get some gold, better than nothing. About 99% of the items on the random loot table are absolutely worthless and vendor trash anyways. Just saves you the step of vendoring it and having to lug it around in your bag.