Shadow Mechanics & Shadovar

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Rings of Power

Shadow Mechanics & Shadovar

Post by Rings of Power » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:50 pm

I have been thoroughly enjoying RP on my Shadovar, but I do have some suggestions that I feel would add more immersion and interest in playing these concepts.

Summoning/Magic Changes

Shadow Elemental Stream - Shadow elementals already exist in the game, located at the shadovar trade outpost. It would be a really cool option for shadow elementals to be used by PCs (Even if only available to those who have the shadow weave mechanic). Personally, I think it would be best if maybe they were new spells added like summon VII-X (scaling from illusion, rather than conjuration). The Undead Stream was an amazing update, and I would like to see shadows given some similar attention...even if not so grandiose.

Shadow Evocations - AFAIK these spells don't interact with Arcane Flux, because they aren't purely offensive. This means that you aren't using shadow spells on flux when playing shadow casters. I understand the desire for wanting combination spells to not work with flux, but there isn't really anything overpowered that you could do with these spells compared to dispels like mords or high tier buffs.

Cosmetic/QoL

Shadow Summon - I would like to see the shadow conjuration summons using the shadow vfx as shadowdancer's does, rather than the ghost vfx. (I'm not sure if the ghost vfx was used for server performance or something, but the shadow vfx would be far more immersive imo)

Shadovar NPC overhaul - Since the release of the new race, Shadovar NPCs are still marked as human. This is a very minor issue, but would provide a bit more immersion if their race displayed correctly.

Tower of Darkness - It's a really cool place, but it suffers from not being easily accessible. Due to this, the quarters go mostly unused/abandoned. I propose that the portal inside of the tower be two-way access for any shadovar, gloaming, shadow mage, or worshipper of a deity with shadow weave domain. If that isn't possible, I would ask for the Dead Paths portal to be made into destination only/two way for easier travel to it. I would love for this place to be a hub for shadovar, gloaming, etc., but it is currently lacking in QoL changes that make it worthwhile.

Additional Notes: These changes would be largely thematic for shadow users/illusionists to be more flavorful, and it would also serve the purpose of re-balancing illusion to compete with conjuration and necromancy.
Last edited by Rings of Power on Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hrothgar Bloodaxe

Re: Shadow Mechanics & Shadovar

Post by Hrothgar Bloodaxe » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:10 pm

Rings of Power wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:50 pm

Tower of Darkness - It's a really cool place, but it suffers from not being easily accessible. Due to this, the quarters go mostly unused/abandoned. I propose that the portal inside of the tower be two-way access for any shadovar, gloaming, shadow mage, or worshipper of a deity with shadow weave domain. If that isn't possible, I would ask for the Dead Paths portal to be made into destination only/two way for easier travel to it. I would love for this place to be a hub for shadovar, gloaming, etc., but it is currently lacking in QoL changes that make it worthwhile.
I think this is a great call - the tower is very cool, and terribly underutilized.

My suggestion would be perhaps to have something akin to the "Earthkin portal" that goes between Brog and Bendir - perhaps have a "Shadovar portal" that links from that tower to the Shadovar tradepost, or something like that.

Recently there's been dedicated areas for Umberlee, giants, etc. I think providing a way for the "Shadowfolk" to form a community would be a relatively simple adjustment to an existing asset.
Of course, optional horse death RP is a possibility.

Yvesza

Post by Yvesza » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:24 pm

The shadows that you can conjure are already pretty useful with the ESF 150 life, 42 AB, no damage to speak of but 4 APR with crippling strike each and IKD, plus 80% displacement? They're wonderful in the right situation, the only change that'd be nice to see is some form of regeneration on them so we don't have to resummon them after every group.
As a note they *still* spawn naked, it's very jarring and at this point despite the spell being actively useful it's a running joke.

With that said ESF Illusion is competitive with Necromancy but probably a bit weaker than conjuration, that's only because of conduit / SoV / Stonehold existing. They're probably the three single strongest spells behind mass haste.

Making the tower two-way for people using shadow weave would be nice though, it's a qualifier that makes it only really usable by a select few and can't be so easily gamed.

Rings of Power

Post by Rings of Power » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:35 pm

Yvesza wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:24 pm
The shadows that you can conjure are already pretty useful with the ESF 150 life, 42 AB, no damage to speak of but 4 APR with crippling strike each and IKD, plus 80% displacement? They're wonderful in the right situation, the only change that'd be nice to see is some form of regeneration on them so we don't have to resummon them after every group.
As a note they *still* spawn naked, it's very jarring and at this point despite the spell being actively useful it's a running joke.

With that said ESF Illusion is competitive with Necromancy but probably a bit weaker than conjuration, that's only because of conduit / SoV / Stonehold existing. They're probably the three single strongest spells behind mass haste.

Making the tower two-way for people using shadow weave would be nice though, it's a qualifier that makes it only really usable by a select few and can't be so easily gamed.
Those are fair points in regards to the shadow summons, but I still feel that shadow elementals would be a cool idea. (even if it relied on conjuration and was integrated as just an elemental stream). As has been mentioned, the shadow elementals already exist for the NPCs at the shadovar trade post. It just feels kind of weird not being able to use the same methods as other shadovar do in the shadowplane.

Purplemyst
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Purplemyst » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:11 pm

Rings of Power wrote:
I have been thoroughly enjoying RP on my Shadovar, but I do have some suggestions that I feel would add more immersion and interest in playing these concepts.

Summoning/Magic Changes

Shadow Elemental Stream - Shadow elementals already exist in the game, located at the shadovar trade outpost. It would be a really cool option for shadow elementals to be used by PCs (Even if only available to those who have the shadow weave mechanic). Personally, I think it would be best if maybe they were new spells added like summon VII-X (scaling from illusion, rather than conjuration). The Undead Stream was an amazing update, and I would like to see shadows given some similar attention...even if not so grandiose.

Shadow Evocations - AFAIK these spells don't interact with Arcane Flux, because they aren't purely offensive. This means that you aren't using shadow spells on flux when playing shadow casters. I understand the desire for wanting combination spells to not work with flux, but there isn't really anything overpowered that you could do with these spells compared to dispels like mords or high tier buffs.

Cosmetic/QoL

Shadow Summon - I would like to see the shadow conjuration summons using the shadow vfx as shadowdancer's does, rather than the ghost vfx. (I'm not sure if the ghost vfx was used for server performance or something, but the shadow vfx would be far more immersive imo)

Shadovar NPC overhaul - Since the release of the new race, Shadovar NPCs are still marked as human. This is a very minor issue, but would provide a bit more immersion if their race displayed correctly.

Additional Notes: These changes would be largely thematic for shadow users/illusionists to be more flavorful, and it would also serve the purpose of re-balancing illusion to compete with conjuration and necromancy.
I would love there to be a shadow elemental stream given to gloomings, shadovar and shadow mages for free and only learned through prism.

The shadow plane in general seems under utilised and it would be great to see a community form there.

While we're on the topic of shadow, shadow mages could do with more cookies than the DC buff. We all know there's no point in using DC spells in PvP as most pcs are built or geared with high saves and any extra +2 dc isn't going to help. Hips without taking SD would be nice, taking SD just makes you mechanically worse off and it's even recommended on the wiki to not do that combo.

Rings of Power

Post by Rings of Power » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:18 pm

Purplemyst wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:11 pm
Rings of Power wrote:

Summoning/Magic Changes

Cosmetic/QoL

I would love there to be a shadow elemental stream given to gloomings, shadovar and shadow mages for free and only learned through prism.

The shadow plane in general seems under utilised and it would be great to see a community form there.

While we're on the topic of shadow, shadow mages could do with more cookies than the DC buff. We all know there's no point in using DC spells in PvP as most pcs are built or geared with high saves and any extra +2 dc isn't going to help. Hips without taking SD would be nice, taking SD just makes you mechanically worse off and it's even recommended on the wiki to not do that combo.
This is great feedback! I do agree about the shadow weave mechanic, in regards to providing something better than the DCs (as you have to take the -6 DCs on other things, anyway.)

Felmilk

Post by Felmilk » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:53 am

Just want to point out the -6 isn't just to DC (as I understand it, I could be wrong) but to CL. So even spells without DC like, let's say, mass haste .. Will not last as long. At least this is what was explained to me. They and I could be wrong.

Scylon

Post by Scylon » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:38 am

Rings of Power wrote:

Hrothgar Bloodaxe wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:10 pm

I think this is a great call - the tower is very cool, and terribly underutilized.

My suggestion would be perhaps to have something akin to the "Earthkin portal" that goes between Brog and Bendir - perhaps have a "Shadovar portal" that links from that tower to the Shadovar tradepost, or something like that.

Recently there's been dedicated areas for Umberlee, giants, etc. I think providing a way for the "Shadowfolk" to form a community would be a relatively simple adjustment to an existing asset.
This would need to be locked to certain races/faction people. might require a slight overhaul to shadovar itself to make it a real town? not sure? Or maybe move the tower itself.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:58 pm

Let's not forget we already have Shadow Wharftown that the Devs have some plan for.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:03 pm

Edens_Fall wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:58 pm
Let's not forget we already have Shadow Wharftown that the Devs have some plan for.
Oh dang, is that real and confirmed?

Rings of Power

Post by Rings of Power » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:03 pm

Edens_Fall wrote:
This is news to me, and I'm already looking forward to it! :D However, I don't think it detracts from any of the things mentioned here.

Turn the Tide

Post by Turn the Tide » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:53 am

This is something I'd very much like to see, coming from a Shadovar player. I look forward to them if worked into the game !! :lol: :lol:
Login: Fetch My Wine Jean-Luc

Azensor

Post by Azensor » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:14 am

Edens_Fall wrote:
thats been on the back burner for how many years now.. 6?