A Month On - Pickpocket Interaction & PVP

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Choofed

A Month On - Pickpocket Interaction & PVP

Post by Choofed » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:21 am

Hey there guys,

We're over a month on from the ruling that was announced on the 11th of August reading the following:
Sleight of Hand: RP is required before PvPing a pickpocket
-The pickpocketing systems have changed enough that we can align them to the normal PvP standards. This will also prevent players from just killing someone who didn't steal from them at all with no RP. If you want to guess wrong (or right), you'll need to give sufficient RP.
I believe that the ruling has objectively failed to make a better enviroment to the mechanic and has encouraged a new pickpocket strategy, that being if you get caught, immediately attunement potion.

Pickpockets when they go to pickpocket from stealth are immediately ready to leave. They're tense, they're actively engaging. Their marks are often unaware people standing in their respective RP hubs and likely roleplaying.

The expectation that they should if they did succeed the spot check, immediately react, sufficiently roleplay, and then throw hostile and engage within the timespan that someone see's their pickpocket attempt fail and then hit their attunement potion is simply unrealistic.

This isn't the suggestion forum and I won't make a suggestion, though I have ideas. However the present situation this new rule change has made has just made a very unfun, and frankly inappropriate balance to the risk reward situation presented.

Ascended Mage

Re: A Month On - Pickpocket Interaction & PVP

Post by Ascended Mage » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:06 am

I think that there still need more tweaks and changes. It is good that skill not simple turned off as in many places.

What about portal-out pickpocketers avoiding RP - there is few things that one should keep in mind.
That there not everyone can act with cool head when pick pocketing especially when spotted. It may involves pvp which for some makes whole thing more nervous. People learning and become better from examples of others or just with time.

I will just suggest to people if they many times experienced that portal-out avoiding rp - then better send message to DM or talk to player and help make pickpocketing interesting for both parties. Or try at least.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:38 am

My recommendation to solve this issue was removing the notification that one has been spotted when pickpocketing. As discussed earlier:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=38819

The idea appeared positively received by the community but devs are volunteer and no clue what Irongron thinks of it.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:31 am

simply make use of pickpocketng trigger a script that makes attuning out not an option

if they succeed then they can scoot away, but they have to physically flee until they hit another area

if they fail well expect a beating and possible jail time
Yes I can sign

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:33 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:31 am
simply make use of pickpocketng trigger a script that makes attuning out not an option

if they succeed then they can scoot away, but they have to physically flee until they hit another area

if they fail well expect a beating and possible jail time
That might be a bandaid to one of many examples of the root issue.

There no is longer a reason to auto notify a thief when they have been sucessfuly spotted (I'm fine with them getting a spot check to notice the noticed too) since the thief can't get instant killed without further rp.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:35 am

The really frustrating thing is that PP>Escape with limited RP is basically what happened before, and continues to happen now. It’s just that the PP gets more of a chance to escape now that the other party can’t stop them.

If the PP is caught and immediately starts to run, you should be able to try and stop them since the running away is their RP and the PP attempt was what began the interaction. However, I doubt a DM is going to see it that way. Particularly since the log of what happened isn’t going to show positioning and movement at all.

I really wish there was a way to get pickpocketing and a number of other methods of theft together in a way that encourage RP on both sides. Having played numerous rogues and thieves over the years, it’s rough to try and RP one when the response is often way more over the top than what happens to other lawbreaking characters.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:30 am

I thought the change meant the pickpocket is supposed to roleplay. Giving griefing tool immunity is an idea for sure.

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:52 am

I don't get it. People leave thousands of gold in donation chests, shower each other with free loot, but god forbid a pick pocket got away with 1k gold without you being able to insta-kill them. It really makes no sense.

DM Poppy

Post by DM Poppy » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:00 am

Let's be honest here, its not a big ask to interact before you PVP. It's not even a mild inconvenience.

Having caught them and shouted "What do you think you are doing, Thief!?!?!" hostile them. If they opt to silently run away, attack them. It is permissible by the explanation in the PVP rule below.

"if a character is ignoring you when you make demands and trying to avoid conflict by not replying, you can attack them. This includes silently running away. Try not to kill someone who obviously didn’t notice you on the spot, but if they’re clearly just being a poor sport you can kill them. If they activate a lens or try to teleport away, this is fair game too."

If they don't run away, do you need to kill them? No. You can Roleplay with them interactively. Shout for the guards, rile up the public, demand the return of your gold etc etc. Even if they do run, you can choose to subdual them as well.

Considering their is a maximum amount that can be stolen and that its locked to once per 24 hours, I think it is more than fair to assume that the skill was balanced both ways.
I'm the nice one.. I promise :twisted: