Skal to Guldoran - Why it's not Working

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Rowlind Salem

Re: Skal to Guldoran - Why it's not Working

Post by Rowlind Salem » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:10 am

Arienette wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:56 am
Guldorand is near the top tier of settlements in terms of portals. It’s sort of far away but it’s a safe zone.

Bendir is way worse off. And Brog is not far behind unless your an earthkin or a settlement official.

Many people might not know this, but Guldorand had a source portal smack dab in the middle of the city. It’s just behind a locked door only settlement officials can open for whatever reason.
That's the exact reason I brought that up. Soon as I found out the portal was up there I was like, why not just have that like it is in Cordor, somewhere publicly accessible.

I get why soulhaven had a source portal before, it being a guildhouse of sorts. But I think that between the port city and the mountain monastery, most people would figure the city would be the one with the better logistics for moving lots of people in and out.

linusboyle

Post by linusboyle » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:29 am

As for the portal, I think it's a good idea to add a source portal in the Thayian Enclave. It's close enough and can enable some funny rp with some Red Wizard PC.

Wethrinea

Post by Wethrinea » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:17 pm

Back when Guldorand was just the village, the transition from Skal to Arelith worked quite well since you landed in a town of similar size and could start taking level appropriate writs right away. Being a smaller town with an active population, you would more often than not run into someone to guide you around and/or recruit you to the local factions.

I doubt that is possible to recreate for Guldorand City, since it is so big (and beautiful) with a far smaller PC density.

One of the things that I, personally, believe is holding Guldorand back is the unfulfilled potential of unique "stuff" that the city has. Like the Deep Wells, which introduces you to a narrative about how Guldorand is built on ancient elvish ruins supposedly littered with artifacts that Myon has explicit claim to, with implied harsh punishments for anyone who tries to steal the stuff elsewhere. Yet, to my knowledge, not a single such artifact has ever been found IG, and what could become big source of RP related to exploring, excavation, research, smuggling and theft lies dormant and neglected.

Same with the melting pot thing: The Black Dog Emporium is run by a duergar NPC, but as far as I know it is not possible for a PC duergar to mechanically bid and own an actual permanent shop, or become citizens. That could lead to all sorts of interesting situations where a race that is often outright banned elsewhere can set up a (seemingly) legitimate business in one of the premier cities on the surface. Maybe even run it. Would the Council allow that? I really want to find out!

TLDR:
The Charter and the city lore has a lot of potential that is yet mechanically unsupported. And I think that is a part of the problem.
Ivar Ferdamann - Mercenary turned Marshall

Arienette
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Arienette » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:01 pm

Rowlind Salem wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:10 am
Arienette wrote:
Guldorand is near the top tier of settlements in terms of portals. It’s sort of far away but it’s a safe zone.

Bendir is way worse off. And Brog is not far behind unless your an earthkin or a settlement official.

Many people might not know this, but Guldorand had a source portal smack dab in the middle of the city. It’s just behind a locked door only settlement officials can open for whatever reason.
That's the exact reason I brought that up. Soon as I found out the portal was up there I was like, why not just have that like it is in Cordor, somewhere publicly accessible.

I get why soulhaven had a source portal before, it being a guildhouse of sorts. But I think that between the port city and the mountain monastery, most people would figure the city would be the one with the better logistics for moving lots of people in and out.
There is a tendency to do this sort of thing. It is done consistently enough that it must be a conscious style choice, though I am unsure what it is supposed to accomplish.

1. Brog source portal is locked behind the Barracks Building Door of the Grotto Elevator
2. Gloom source portal is locked behind the guildhouse door deep in the "inner keep", so visitors to Gloom cannot use it to leave, and have to hike through miles of swamp with lizard archers who spam Slow at you non-stop.
3. I believe Darrowdeep is set up the same way.
4. Guldorand obviously

I have asked to have the Gloom source portal moved to a more accessible place, and therefor make Gloom a more well-trafficked place! And even had an area developer lined up who was willing to make the necessary changes. This idea was apparently shot down by senior staff. Thats what indicates to me that it is conscious style choice to have source portals behind locked doors who only certain people can access, like in Guldorand.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:04 pm

Arienette wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:01 pm
Rowlind Salem wrote:
Arienette wrote:

There is a tendency to do this sort of thing. It is done consistently enough that it must be a conscious style choice, though I am unsure what it is supposed to accomplish.

1. Brog source portal is locked behind the Barracks Building Door of the Grotto Elevator
2. Gloom source portal is locked behind the guildhouse door deep in the "inner keep", so visitors to Gloom cannot use it to leave, and have to hike through miles of swamp with lizard archers who spam Slow at you non-stop.
4. Guldorand obviously

I have asked to have the Gloom source portal moved to a more accessible place, and therefor make Gloom a more well-trafficked place! And even had an area developer lined up who was willing to make the necessary changes. This idea was apparently shot down by senior staff. Thats what indicates to me that it is conscious style choice to have source portals behind locked doors who only certain people can access, like in Guldorand.
The reason why source portals are few and far between, or locked into faction areas is very simple.

If everywhere had an open source portal, well we just wouldnt need any areas outside the portals. Afterall why walk the roads when you can just portal past all the incredible content the Devs work so hard on.

However Source portals are not the issue here. Skal should be redirected to another port.
Yes I can sign

Subtext

Post by Subtext » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:27 pm

While I would generally agree that portals everywhere isn't the best solution, I do think it would help with Guldorand's relative lack of popularity to have an actual two way portal deeper inside. The city gates come to mind or the docks.

Compare it with Cordor for example. If I want to go to Cordor to check on people, shops, whatever, I can go to the Frontier, walk through the entire town, check on stuff on the way and use the source portal in the cultural district to go wherever else I want to. It's convenient! I can even make a dip by the farms to grab some cotton or other stuff on the way if I feel like it.

If I want to do the same in Guldorand, I have to take the portal to Soulhaven, run through the entire monastery, walk through two transitions and then run the entire way to the city before I can do the same. And if I want to leave, I either have to take a boat or run all the way back. It's not particularly attractive for a quick visit to check up on things.

I am not saying that it should be a permanent solution. The idea should be to draw some more attention to the town and have more of an incentive for casual visits instead of thinking "Ugh...I don't feel like running that much when there's barely anyone there to begin with". I don't think it would solve the issue completely and yes, it would absolutely be an unfair advantage to other cities...but let's be real, Guldorand does lack activity and the areas are way too gorgeous to go sidelined by so many :)

Definately Not A Mimic

Post by Definately Not A Mimic » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:02 pm

So, just a few thoughts

I like that you can't portal directly into the city for what I'd think are obvious reasons. However, the idea of a portal leading out of the city is a good one. Yes, there is on in a government building but perhaps one where everyone can use it? The Scriviners Keep with their scholars or the empty corner past the noble house or the green space accessed out in the port by the water. Lots of options that doesn't put it smack dab in the middle of everything.

I like that Skal lands there since it affords more traffic into the less populated city, however what about making a way to drop them at Soulhaven so they could be prompted to pick up the portal? I think one of the mentions was that some of them have never experienced one.

The port has a smoky tavern and brawling pit that is very neat. It doesn't currently work though. Attempting a fix so that this feature works could help.

Someone mentioned a quest about the town to find npcs like the starter speedy quest. A thought there could be a writ, take this item from the temple to this wizard in the enclave who then gives you something to pass on to X then X to Y then Y to Z. Leads you about, no death trap monsters immediately killing, possibly the npcs have a script saying something about the city to the person handing in the object. Mention the charter, the portal at the monastery, the boat to Brog etc.

The Eagle tavern is great. A bit too big imo since you can't know if people are in there unless you comb through the place as opposed to just walking in and looking but the esthetic is nice. The writ giver there and shops so it does cause traffic. The bar any citizen can work behind which is fun.... except its any Myon citizen. The Eagle sitting in Guldorand is a Myon building. So technically Guld citizens don't get to have a tavern to play in without being able to leadership their way behind the bar.
Also as a note, you can't even buy a meal in the tavern. I would love to see that changed.

Overall I love the city and won't stop playing there or wanting to make multiple characters paths go there. I'm not one to do that however so maybe every other one? I really enjoy the place. I really like that good and evil stand in the streets together. It isn't just another goody run city and that is fantastic.

MalKalz
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by MalKalz » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:28 pm

I have left a proposal with the team on a potential modification for the departure from Skal. It's early stages so I won't reveal details (as it still may not be approved overall). But, we are watching this thread closely.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:09 am

Whats the difrence from Guldorand compaired to other towns? (besides the portal)
What makes people get drawn to Cordor or Bendir or even Sibayad over Guldorand?

For me its a few reasons.

1. When im logging in to play i click my fav list on the nwn server list and see Guldorand have 1 or maybe 5 players some times even 0 on it so i know oh no one in town to rp with so i hardly ever go to check it out.

2. When Guldorand went live i took some time to go through the deepwells , its a great place but it was also so over tuned and extreemly long that i never went back in there not even for the added writs. (This may be me being a dumb turd and maybe have to just give it a new go)

3. There is no low level content in Guldorand (That i know of) so you wont see lower level players doing mutch there and that i think is shown by the low player count aswel.
In places like Cordor/Bendir and brog you see low level players interacting with more established characters who in turn help out or even try to recruit the lower levels for their groups/orders/guilds you name it.
So its rather easy to get involved in those places.

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:18 am

Hello everyone!

It's me again.

I have a lot to say on this topic, which I've been meaning to say since it first started, but I never seemed to find the time to write it up.

Some up front context to begin;

Three years ago, when I left Arelith after roughly ten years including two stints as a DM, I left specifically because of some concerns in this thread.
To be specific, I disagreed strongly with the long term vision and direction of the server in terms to the way we handled population management.

This was pre-big Guldorand, back when it was just a small mining village, but shortly after Sencliff became a pirate haven (As opposed to a player quarter and mad wizards lair) and Skal began to be opened up. (But after Wharftown was blown up, RIP Meredith Gates)

My point, which has been made in this thread, is not that we were making the overall world to big, but we were spreading out the key hubs and starting zones of players far to much - Particularly for our EU, and AUS players, hugely reducing the chances of new players or low levels organically encountering each other.

We have as starting locations;

Cordor,
Brog,
Guldorand
The Underdark
Sencliff,
Skal,

So even if I join the server at the same time as another new player, there's a 5/6 chance that other new player may start somewhere impossibly far away. This, as already highlighted ties into the strain on manageable population hubs. A city requires a semi-consistant presence of 12 players at all times to feel alive. That's not who 'play there', that's a physically findable presence of players, so excluding those mid dungeon, on a boat, or hiding in their houses. At our peak performance, that's doable for a large number of locations, but when we move into quieter timezones, it's near impossible to keep just our core settlements populatated - Let alone all of the outlying settlement locations not in my above list.

As most of you will know, I've settled in the Underdark at the moment, and there's a good reason for this. The Underdark is a self contained world - With /One/ key hub. There's one singular place you start in the Underdark, one key portal that drives all traffic, and that connects (most) of the core locations together.

The exception is Greyport, whose existance saddens me. Is it beautiful? - Very much so. Is it well designed in and of itself? Completely. Is it completely dead and devoid of finable players? - 100% of the time, as far as I can tell. (Yes, people live their, run shops there, and host events there, but I have /once/ found people casually roleplaying there, and I also ran into someone outside the bank one time - In four weeks of play.)

It's 'dead' for the same reason several surface locations are. There arn't enough players, and it's not super easily accessible/connected to the main hub. The Underdark, for the most part (Is and always has been?) almost a seperate game, with very vague connections to the rest of the server. (Huge Kudos, incidentally to whoever chucked the grand meeting hall underground to replace with temp shops, that was hugely in keeping with it's phenominal design as a central high traffic hub.)

While I've been gone, we seem to have continued with the trend I was concerned over. The introduction of Guldorand is a massive new location requiring a sizeable number of players to make it feel alive, and I'm forced to agree with the majority of players in this thread - It doesn't feel that way. I passed through it several times while looking for a home (not a quarter, but I roleplaying hub I could use use to tell stories) and I found other players once, a heavily warded group of high levels recently back from a successful sailing expedition. (So their roleplay wasn't even 'Guldorand themed' it was just the natural endpoint to stories they had been telling elsewhere.)

I was privilaged enough to have a tour of the settlement while it was still in it's early design phase - And it's as beautiful as it was shaping up to be. But as part of the living breathing world of Arelith, it seems to have little significance.

Now, in defence of the current Administration, they told me quite firmly at the time that 'Our playercount is going up, so we're doing the right things'. (I get told that a lot by server Administrations, it seems) And they're not wrong. Look at the playernumbers, we've expanded hugely since I was last here. Arelith continues to be number 1, Arelith continues to grow, and lots of key areas do feel very alive.

If I were to guess the motivations behind the decision to point Skal to Guldorand, it was to forfill someones vision of putting all that hard work into something that was used and appreciated. It's an attempt to make Guldorand be what it isn't. The problem is, capturing and retaining new players requires existing players to begin with. If the Underdark had been a ghost town, I'd not have given it a second thought. I stayed because it was clear that here was somewhere I'd always find someone, and not have to sit semi afk, hoping for a chance to interact.

My view hasn't changed. If I were a developer, I'd heavily advocate that we need no more than four key settlements, each catoring to a specific style of roleplay. I'd probably suggest there was one underdark settlement, one settlement heavily focused on 'Settlement politics', one settlement heavily focused on easy dungeoning, and probably one designed around the sailing system. These would be my core starting settlements, and I'd stuff billboards and warnings in the entry zone that talked a little bit about my vision and the style of roleplay each had been catered for.

This means I'm still on the 'blow up Myon' train. (Assuming there's still a Myon, I'm a little out of touch with surface elves - And similar settlements.) Which of course, would be hugely unpopular and devestating for their playerbases, as it was when we blew up Wharftown. (Not just Myon, I'm not picking on you.)

This means when you joined the server, you'd be greeted with a choice between sailing, settlement roleplay, get out and dungeon, or go explore the underdark, and different players of different styles would be automatically gravitated towards players of similar interests.

Guldorand would form my politically netural dungeon city, with little emphasis on politics, a heavy emphasis on a hands off approach and racial tolerence, and a web of low to high level dungeons, a central portal and travel that allowed easy access to epic dungeons.

Cordor would be my political capital, perhaps redesigned with multiple district leaders and elections (One candidate might control the city guard, another the merchant quarter, perhaps another the part of the city where everyone lived)

Skal would be the sailing island, with easy access to the boat system, sailing writs, and travel to the other islands.

I'd probably turn Sencliff back into a netural Guildhouse, which you got access to by becoming a pirate. (Rather than by players and keys) and early writ in Skal would give you the choice to 'Become a pirate' and organically point you towards the pirate guild, who'd be the natural antagonists of Skal players.

Anyway, I think I've got carried away, and you've likely all stopped reading.

What I have felt we have lacked is a long term vision for the mechanics of managing population flow, and a system designed to coax players into the places they want to be. When somewhere becomes overcrowded, that's a sign of popularity, and likely that it needs expanding, rather than us generating somewhere far away.

Instead we operate on a system of 'Cool idea's', where we add more, and more, and more (Amazing content) locations and the island of Arelith grows outwards slowly spreading it's playerbase into more and more exclusive themes. (Elves go here. Halflings go here. Dwarves go here. Pirates go here. Drow go here, so on and so forth) deeply hurting the lower population timezones.

And yet,

We have an amazing rich server, with some key heavily populated locations that do server their purposes. Cordor, Skal, the Underdark - These all function as places you can always go and always tell a story - With a world surrounding them that offers almost anything and tell any story. Even if the story you might want to tell is pretty narrow (I want to tell an elf story with elves, in an elf city) you can absoultely go and do that in a place designed just for you.

Arelith's design principle is freedom - A place for everyone and an infinately big world that it's up to you to make come alive, and while it's not the world I'd design, and it will end up with many quiet spots where there arn't that many people that want to do that thing this month, it's still a pretty awesome one and it works. (Works the best out of any NWN server ever, to be specific.)

I hope my thoughts were of interest or value to someone.

tl;dr

The developers have a vision for the server, and it's a vision that works. They're the ones who own it, (In some cases) they're the ones who put in the ungoldly amount of work to create all the content, and we can do anything we want with it - Including making Guldorand popular. On the other hand, we do have to accept with the mega big open world design principles Arelith seems to operate on, the price we pay is not every settlement will be successful /Today/, but they could always be the hubs of tomorrow.

Monika.

Ps (Please point Skal new arrival boat at Cordor, thank you.)

Temporarily back to Arelith and currently Lilliana Snowfire.

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.

linusboyle

Post by linusboyle » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:17 am

There are already considerable constructive discussion in this thread, so just to add a few ideas.

I have my main as a long-term Republican, and man, I'm proud of that. The city concept and aesthetics are just amazing, despite the many flaws others have pointed out. Maybe it's my OOC bias towards Lawful Good but I never enjoy Cordor rp as much as I do in Guldorand. That being said, the problem is I do find myself the only one on the server list very often, and often I slip away from Guldorand because no one is around to rp. Timezone is a big issue here for sure, with the community in Guldorand centered around US evening.

How to bring more liveness? It requires efforts from both players and devs to solve this. So on player side, for example, an advantage of Guldorand is that it's very suitable as a place of your faction headquarter, due to the liberal vibe and laws there. Right now there are player-owned church, library, clinic, etc. Guldorand properties' ownership are transferred often and it's easy to get a house and start your business or establish a base. People might wander elsewhere but once their faction settles down, it will bring some rp with others in the city.

I understand that as an epic region, by the time people reach Guldorand, they are already established, and often they will be rolled for a reward soon. It also happened in the past that some make their character to run for the Sheriff, and then vanish after the loss. There're reasons that people don't want to rp and just dash away. People like this exist in every settlement, Guldorand just suffers most because of the design. But I believe sometimes rp only comes if one initiates it, and it might lead to some unexpected good session. So while in the city, we can try to engage people that passes by in a hurry, greeting them and asking them something simple, and see where it goes. The current leadership of Guld is doing a great job on this.

For the devs, Guldorand does need some tweaks to make it more unique and attractive. The city is in another server, and people have to risk memory leak if they just want a short visit. In this case, why would people come to Guld if it's like another Cordor? Guldorand has a really interesting setting with a lot of potential, but most are not being used mechanically. So right now, almost all the needs we have can be resolved by Cordor. Not to say the writs around Guldorand has a really high risk-reward ratio. The Deep Wells is the most tiring dungeon in this game, but if one needs runic materials they have much better grind spots to go. Despite being four times larger than Cordor, Guldorand has a really low fixture limit. And there's no public source portal in the city... etc etc.

So a lot of things can be done. I really like the proposal above to add real elven artifacts to the Deep Wells and the option to turn them in for gold either to Myon or Gudorand's smugglers..It's just an example of what can be done to enhance the uniqueness of Guld. Also more DM events in Guld would definitely help build the community here, currently it's hard to find a DM in this server.

That being said, many settlements haven't been updated for a long time, and I don't think a mass update to Guldorand is gonna happen soon. It's still the Guldorand players' duty to make the rp interesting and provide a welcoming environment to the new players here. As for Skal PCs, we already put some signs around the Skaljard Ferry, but it's more important to guide them in person. Take them to Westcliff for more approriate writs and explain to them the various systems on the mainland. Slowly people would be willing to stay instead of taking a boat to leave immediately.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:07 am

I definitely pray that the Wells would offer special items like sailing does. It would give people a greater incentive to visit.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:42 pm

linusboyle wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:17 am
There are already considerable constructive discussion in this thread, so just to add a few ideas.

I have my main as a long-term Republican, and man, I'm proud of that. The city concept and aesthetics are just amazing, despite the many flaws others have pointed out. Maybe it's my OOC bias towards Lawful Good but I never enjoy Cordor rp as much as I do in Guldorand. That being said, the problem is I do find myself the only one on the server list very often, and often I slip away from Guldorand because no one is around to rp. Timezone is a big issue here for sure, with the community in Guldorand centered around US evening.

How to bring more liveness? It requires efforts from both players and devs to solve this. So on player side, for example, an advantage of Guldorand is that it's very suitable as a place of your faction headquarter, due to the liberal vibe and laws there. Right now there are player-owned church, library, clinic, etc. Guldorand properties' ownership are transferred often and it's easy to get a house and start your business or establish a base. People might wander elsewhere but once their faction settles down, it will bring some rp with others in the city.

I understand that as an epic region, by the time people reach Guldorand, they are already established, and often they will be rolled for a reward soon. It also happened in the past that some make their character to run for the Sheriff, and then vanish after the loss. There're reasons that people don't want to rp and just dash away. People like this exist in every settlement, Guldorand just suffers most because of the design. But I believe sometimes rp only comes if one initiates it, and it might lead to some unexpected good session. So while in the city, we can try to engage people that passes by in a hurry, greeting them and asking them something simple, and see where it goes. The current leadership of Guld is doing a great job on this.

For the devs, Guldorand does need some tweaks to make it more unique and attractive. The city is in another server, and people have to risk memory leak if they just want a short visit. In this case, why would people come to Guld if it's like another Cordor? Guldorand has a really interesting setting with a lot of potential, but most are not being used mechanically. So right now, almost all the needs we have can be resolved by Cordor. Not to say the writs around Guldorand has a really high risk-reward ratio. The Deep Wells is the most tiring dungeon in this game, but if one needs runic materials they have much better grind spots to go. Despite being four times larger than Cordor, Guldorand has a really low fixture limit. And there's no public source portal in the city... etc etc.

So a lot of things can be done. I really like the proposal above to add real elven artifacts to the Deep Wells and the option to turn them in for gold either to Myon or Gudorand's smugglers..It's just an example of what can be done to enhance the uniqueness of Guld. Also more DM events in Guld would definitely help build the community here, currently it's hard to find a DM in this server.

That being said, many settlements haven't been updated for a long time, and I don't think a mass update to Guldorand is gonna happen soon. It's still the Guldorand players' duty to make the rp interesting and provide a welcoming environment to the new players here. As for Skal PCs, we already put some signs around the Skaljard Ferry, but it's more important to guide them in person. Take them to Westcliff for more approriate writs and explain to them the various systems on the mainland. Slowly people would be willing to stay instead of taking a boat to leave immediately.
almost all your dev tweak ideas already exist. Source portal check, etc etc etc. Guld is still relatively new so dont look for an update anytime in the near future.

Not sure where you got this risking memory leak for a short visit idea either.
Yes I can sign

riffraff

Post by riffraff » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:06 pm

Wethrinea wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:17 pm
...Guldorand is built on ancient elvish ruins supposedly littered with artifacts that Myon has explicit claim to, with implied harsh punishments for anyone who tries to steal the stuff elsewhere. Yet, to my knowledge, not a single such artifact has ever been found IG, and what could become big source of RP related to exploring, excavation, research, smuggling and theft lies dormant and neglected.
linusboyle wrote:
...add real elven artifacts to the Deep Wells and the option to turn them in for gold either to Myon or Gudorand's smugglers..It's just an example of what can be done to enhance the uniqueness of Guld.
I had no idea about this stuff and that is insanely awesome. I would absolutely play an elven artifact "archaeologist" smuggler in another life. Regardless, that could lead to a lot of interesting stuff! The political back-and-forth about ownership, trying to crack down on smugglers to improve relations between Guldorand and Myon... Forget Cordor's hood checkpoints, imagine stolen artifact shakedowns. :lol:
Wethrinea wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:17 pm
Same with the melting pot thing: The Black Dog Emporium is run by a duergar NPC, but as far as I know it is not possible for a PC duergar to mechanically bid and own an actual permanent shop, or become citizens. That could lead to all sorts of interesting situations where a race that is often outright banned elsewhere can set up a (seemingly) legitimate business in one of the premier cities on the surface. Maybe even run it. Would the Council allow that? I really want to find out!
That's a good point, to be honest. It's kinda funny seeing someone post a notice saying "I saw a known necromancer shopping here, BEWARE!!" only for the city officials to post a response to the equivalent of "Yes. And?" :lol: The laws being different is one thing, but without seeing it constantly in action, it does make it harder to believe. It also makes it easier for characters to just wave off the idea as being ridiculous. Why would you let these evil folk in? Well, if there's evidence that it's making the city more prosperous...

Another example, it would be nice if there was an evil temple or shrine (an NPC one for permanence) to really hammer home the religious tolerance (someone please correct me if I'm wrong about there not being one, I've only seen the Temple of Kelemvor. And Umberlee doesn't count, she's everywhere). Having a Loviatian High Sheriff was great advertising for this, but of course, he's gone now. As well as the Duergar trader, there's of course also the Red Wizards and the Zhents, but they feel kinda hidden away. I walked right past the Zhent embassy a bunch of times before I realised what it was, thinking it was another PC shop. So it was pretty awesome seeing a Red Wizard PC just chilling in the square the other day.
cold chuckle

linusboyle

Post by linusboyle » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:14 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:42 pm
linusboyle wrote:

almost all your dev tweak ideas already exist. Source portal check, etc etc etc. Guld is still relatively new so dont look for an update anytime in the near future.

Not sure where you got this risking memory leak for a short visit idea either.
Like I said I don't think an update is gonna happen soon. It's a feedback thread so people can brainstorm a possible way of improving Guldorand.

As for memory leak, that's based on my experience. When you change server, nwn will allocate more memory without releasing the old allocated one. So as you play the client consumes more and more memory until..boom! Your computer freezes. I believe it's not just me that suffers from memory leak.

linusboyle

Post by linusboyle » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:17 pm

riffraff wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:06 pm
Another example, it would be nice if there was an evil temple or shrine (an NPC one for permanence) to really hammer home the religious tolerance (someone please correct me if I'm wrong about there not being one, I've only seen the Temple of Kelemvor. And Umberlee doesn't count, she's everywhere). Having a Loviatian High Sheriff was great advertising for this, but of course, he's gone now. As well as the Duergar trader, there's of course also the Red Wizards and the Zhents, but they feel kinda hidden away. I walked right past the Zhent embassy a bunch of times before I realised what it was, thinking it was another PC shop. So it was pretty awesome seeing a Red Wizard PC just chilling in the square the other day.
FYI, There is a small chapel of Bane just behind the Zhentil Embassy.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:19 pm

Another note that I have seen brought up multiple times (including by myself), especially in the last few posts, is how non-good roleplay seems to be avoided in a city that somewhat encourages it.

I think If Only put it well. Arguably a majority of characters that came through Guldorand during my time there on multiple characters insisted on immediately vilifying characters they perceived as non-good. This meant attempts to change the charter were made, and characters openly following gods that sit on the Evil spectrum (e.g. Bane, Talona, Talos, etc.) were immediately shunned. Without being able to be open about their faith it's difficult for new players to realize members of that faith exists; this is why even the Church of Bane fluxes in membership, and they have their own spot (i.e. Minmir church) that openly celebrates Bane.

Naturally, denizens aren't necessarily breaking a law so no enforcement is made. However, I'm curious how the Founding Council would react if an official of Guldorand (e.g. member of the garrison or watch, high sheriff and their staff, etc.) was xenophobic without evidence.

Arienette

Post by Arienette » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:28 pm

Good Character wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:19 pm
Another note that I have seen brought up multiple times (including by myself), especially in the last few posts, is how non-good roleplay seems to be avoided in a city that somewhat encourages it.

I think If Only put it well. Arguably a majority of characters that came through Guldorand during my time there on multiple characters insisted on immediately vilifying characters they perceived as non-good. This meant attempts to change the charter were made, and characters openly following gods that sit on the Evil spectrum (e.g. Bane, Talona, Talos, etc.) were immediately shunned. Without being able to be open about their faith it's difficult for new players to realize members of that faith exists; this is why even the Church of Bane fluxes in membership, and they have their own spot (i.e. Minmir church) that openly celebrates Bane.

Naturally, denizens aren't necessarily breaking a law so no enforcement is made. However, I'm curious how the Founding Council would react if an official of Guldorand (e.g. member of the garrison or watch, high sheriff and their staff, etc.) was xenophobic without evidence.
Lets say you want to play a moderately evil character in Guldorand. This is "allowed" in Guldorand but if your evil reputation travels far and wide, it will be very difficult for you to get along in other settlements.

If Guldorand was thriving, this would not be a huge issue. But if you are unwelcome in most other places, and Guldorand is empty most of the time... this might get old fast.

Rowlind Salem

Post by Rowlind Salem » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:38 pm

Arienette wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:01 pm
Rowlind Salem wrote:
Arienette wrote:

4. Guldorand obviously

every citizen of the settlement that uses owns darrowdeep can use the source portal there.

But you're right most places it's like that. The sencliff Estate is set up the same way, need a certain pirate rank to use it.

Rowlind Salem

Post by Rowlind Salem » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:42 pm

Good Character wrote:

Myon is right there and Myon people are in and out of Guld all day long. They go into other settlements to kill people all the time. Do you really want to set up somewhere where a pretty likely adversary is gonna be parked there? I wouldn't. That would be annoying. I'd just take it to andunor.

riffraff

Post by riffraff » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:54 pm

linusboyle wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:17 pm
FYI, There is a small chapel of Bane just behind the Zhentil Embassy.
Aha, that's good to know. There's so many weird nooks and crannies in Guldorand that I feel like I'm finding new places all the time. Thanks. :D
cold chuckle

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:30 pm

For my two cents, having the boat from Skal drop you in Crow's Nest seems the best idea. From Crow's you can go to Cordor, Sibayad, or Sencliff with ease.

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rei_Jin » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:09 pm

Rowlind Salem wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:42 pm
Good Character wrote:

Myon is right there and Myon people are in and out of Guld all day long. They go into other settlements to kill people all the time. Do you really want to set up somewhere where a pretty likely adversary is gonna be parked there? I wouldn't. That would be annoying. I'd just take it to andunor.
… which touches on a point that has been, so far, largely skirted around, and that is that Guldorand is set up in such a way, that the way that Myon is being run rather dissuades many from investing in it.

IMO Myon should never have been incorporated into the Guldorand city. Move it elsewhere and I honestly think it’d be a lot more successful.

Arienette

Post by Arienette » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:52 am

Rei_Jin wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:09 pm
Rowlind Salem wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:42 pm
Good Character wrote:

… which touches on a point that has been, so far, largely skirted around, and that is that Guldorand is set up in such a way, that the way that Myon is being run rather dissuades many from investing in it.

IMO Myon should never have been incorporated into the Guldorand city. Move it elsewhere and I honestly think it’d be a lot more successful.
This is a really good point. I imagine playing a known evil character who lives 200 yards away from Myon’s soldiers would be… not fun.

chocolatelover

Post by chocolatelover » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:29 pm

Wow. I did NOT expect my post to cause such a furor.

First, let me apologize to any Guldoran players who were insulted/upset by my post. I did try to point out that I am a very new Arelith player (new to persistent worlds!) and I just wanted to offer some insight into what I thought I was seeing.

I really did feel like there was a concerted effort to get players into Guldorand by several message board postings in Skal as well as Discord players commenting that they left Skal, got to Guldorand, and left because it was dead. Perhaps I was fooled by all the squeaky wheels. I was very determined to try to make Guldorand work for my character, but I was also very naive.

One new thing I got out of all the comments here and on Discord is that there are very different types of players on Arelith. There are some really hardcore, determine every skill point players who are in for the XP grind. There are story-based players whose characters don't do well out on the open road, but add amazing stories to Arelith. All of these players and their playing styles need to be respected. Sometimes a player and an area just don't mesh. I'm coming to realize that my character just may not do well in Guldorand. Even at Level 22, she's not super powerful (probably because I don't know what I'm doing) and she's having trouble fitting into stories.

I only wanted to point out a few things about the Skal to Guldorand pipeline for some specific players types - 1) new to Arelith and started on Skal, 2) not your most advanced player who reads every little thing on game mechanics, and 3) why going to Guldorand next is difficult (not impossible) and why some of those particulars players choose not to stay.

I never said we couldn't figure out portals, just that someone who has only been in Skal isn't attuned to any. And I only pointed that out, because Guldorand PCs kept telling us just to Portal somewhere and seemed genuinely confused as to how we go to Guldorand without being attuned to any portals. In fact, I felt like Guldorand people (even the government PCS) were unaware that Skal players were being shuffled to Guldorand in the first place. Just one of those left-hand and right-hand things.

Guldorand has some amazing things going on in it. The dedicated Guldorand players are amazing and should not feel pressured to change what they are doing. I still think allowing players to start in Guldorand (I know, I know... this would take A LOT of design changes) would help grow that settlement, but that is only my worthless opinion.

And please, can we restate the Attention Skal People sign at the ferry? I said we were new players, not stupid. We CAN figure out how to get out of Guldorand by boat if the roads aren't passable for us., even though we're not attuned to any portals. (Although road signs are nice - Docks this way!) I didn't say we were trapped. I was trying to shed light on why many do not stay (from my humble, probably misguided perspective).