Excessive Fixtures

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Excessive Fixtures

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:02 pm

Haya

I'm going to take a quick moment to clarify some rules on this, as it came up in the DM chat that apparently they seem a bit convoluted.

It comes down to this

1) You may only MOVE or DESTROY (trashbin) up to 1 FIXTURE that isn't yours (you did not create) per 24 hours. However, common sense applies to this. (see below note)
2) You may BASH up to THREE fixtures per 24 hours.
3) Bashing/destroying/moving the same fixture(s) over and over again may be considered griefing.

When it comes to 1) here is where that rareist of magical unicorns 'common sense' is involved. If you have been given permission to move fixtures, or you are sure that no one will care at the loss/destruction of said fixtures? By all means take the chance! We rarely activly police fixture movement/destruction/bashing. However, if you do go moving/destroying/binning large amount of fixtures, then know that you are taking a bit of a chance. We'll deal with these sitautions case by case of course, and if you've any doubts or concerns - either for your own fixtures being bashed- or concerns about other fixtures you care for, or asking for some fixtures to be removed - do let us know.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rei_Jin » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:49 am

There is an exception to that though Grumpycat, in that unowned properties are fair game.

stoneheart-

Post by stoneheart- » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:31 am

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:02 pm
Haya

I'm going to take a quick moment to clarify some rules on this, as it came up in the DM chat that apparently they seem a bit convoluted.

It comes down to this

1) You may only MOVE or DESTROY (trashbin) up to 1 FIXTURE that isn't yours (you did not create) per 24 hours. However, common sense applies to this. (see below note)
3) Bashing/destroying/moving the same fixture(s) over and over again may be considered griefing.
This is terrible, because it's easy to spam many cheap, low effort and low investment fixtures around in public places/wilderness. You can easily outstrip the pace any one person can bash your stuff if you're committed enough to playing minecraft. Unless there's also going to be a cap on how many fixtures you can place in the wild, there's a pretty big imbalance here in favor of fixture spam camps, which I don't think is a good state of affairs as far as fixture turnover (a good thing) and thus server health goes. Is creating these sorts of eyesores also going to be considered griefing, if druids for example are trying to keep the wilds wild and someone keeps setting up their 16-piece lounge/bar in a forest or sacred site?

I don't feel anything was convoluted or confusing before, or that anything needed clarification. What has happened is that somebody thought their fixtures are more special than they really are, or have placed them in a place that is irreverent or also special to someone else, and is upset that they've been bashed. What should have happened rather than complaining and campaigning for the rules to be changed though, is to accept that things you place out in the world are out in the wild and things can happen to them.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:07 am

stoneheart- wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:31 am
The GrumpyCat wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:02 pm
Haya

It comes down to this

This is terrible, because it's easy to spam many cheap, low effort and low investment fixtures around in public places/wilderness. You can easily outstrip the pace any one person can bash your stuff if you're committed enough to playing minecraft. Unless there's also going to be a cap on how many fixtures you can place in the wild, there's a pretty big imbalance here in favor of fixture spam camps, which I don't think is a good state of affairs as far as fixture turnover (a good thing) and thus server health goes. Is creating these sorts of eyesores also going to be considered griefing, if druids for example are trying to keep the wilds wild and someone keeps setting up their 16-piece lounge/bar in a forest or sacred site?

I don't feel anything was convoluted or confusing before, or that anything needed clarification. What has happened is that somebody thought their fixtures are more special than they really are, or have placed them in a place that is irreverent or also special to someone else, and is upset that they've been bashed. What should have happened rather than complaining and campaigning for the rules to be changed though, is to accept that things you place out in the world are out in the wild and things can happen to them.
I mean, if you feel that fixtures in an area detract from that area, and/or that you feel that some sort of wierd weaponisation reguarding this is happening - then please by all means report it to the DMs and they'll deal with it appropriatly.

Rei_Jin wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:49 am
There is an exception to that though Grumpycat, in that unowned properties are fair game.
Mostly yeah. Though again I'd honestly still engage a little bit of common sense, less due to 'rules' and more due to being nice. If you get a home and someone left several really nicely described fixtures on it, with obvious sentimental value... just trashing them immedatly is perhaps a little harsh?

So say the Banite Temple came up for sale. Yes you could break in, destroy ALL their fixtures and run away giggling but if the faction reported that, I'd honestly still look at it as griefing.

Again - common sense.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

DM Poppy

Post by DM Poppy » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:38 pm

stoneheart- wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:31 am

Wilderness areas have a limit to the amount of fixtures that can be placed, generally between 5 and 10. Though if you have an issue with fixture placement in your favourate areas, I'd suggest you make use of your keyboard and not your mouse in these instances. Bashing fixtures generates no RP when done on the scale we see all to often.

If your Druid wants to keep the wilds wild, find the person whom keeps setting up shop in the forest and deal with them as your Character would see fit and actually generate a bit of RP from the grievance.

You are not entitled to an area on the server any more than any other Character is. So you've the means to get creative. This rule is to protect fixtures from Players whom are not prepared to act their RPR and get creative with how to handle the situtation in character.
I'm the nice one.. I promise :twisted:

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:58 pm

My 2 cents: Deal with things on a case-by-case scenario. Blanket-blindfiring rarely goes well.

I'm not a fan of the idea of fixture decay. The entire point of dropping fixtures is to enchance roleplay. Some people are able to drop fixtures that enhance an area or island lore. This is very much beyond "I LOVE MY 50 FIXTURE CAMPSITE", which seems to be whats pissing people off.

Kind of what Grumpy said, but if fixture decay is universally applied to -everything- outdoors, its killing a lot of potential. I can also see this escalating to "well, we do it outside, so why can't we have indoor decay as well? 1 Person has 50 fixtures in their shared room AND IT MUST BE ADDRESSED"

Try addressing fixture clutter in an IG way, and be reasonable about it? Back when I was acting as Soulhaven's caretaker, I regularly had to address smashing excessive fixture clutter if one person took up 30 of the 40 placable slots allowed for an area. Don't like it? I'm smashing one thing per day, and it was for the sake of fairness as there was a semi-active group at the time that had to share the space. Things that had no description and added nothing other than "ooh! PRETTY"! were usually the first things to go.

And the smashing only started -after- the person refused to meet or play along IG. The worst offender was rarely active, so it wasn't a loss smashing 5 of the 25 plants cluttering the Soulhaven exterior in one small cluster.

I have completely lost my train of though, but try addressing things naturally IG. I've always found it excessive to implement massive, sweeping server-wide scripts when egregious examples can be addressed by a person, or with dm assistance.